QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Porco Sequel?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Porco Sequel? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Porco Sequel?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw this on ANN and figured it might be worth a post. Check it out.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/200...co-rosso-sequel

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

06.01.2009, 07:13 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting, though Miyazaki has said in the past he never does sequels. From what I gather in that article it sounds like a manga or illustrated novel he plans and not a movie.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.01.2009, 07:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmmm that is interesting.
i agree this does seem like a manga.but who knows
it seems odd if he were to make a sequel to any of his films it would be porco...

06.01.2009, 08:33 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Interesting...
The first Miyazaki sequel?

06.02.2009, 03:59 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
turniphead1
Totoro

Registration Date: 10.09.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by turniphead1 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd be interested to see where the story goes for this, because any lose ends are tied up at the end of the original. I suppose they could fastforward it to the depression of the 1930s or WW2...

Clicky

06.02.2009, 05:06 AM turniphead1 is offline   Profile for turniphead1 Add turniphead1 to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The article mentions WW2 - or at least a WW2 bomber, the Savoia-Marchetti SM.79.

Given Porco's politics and the fact that Italy was a fully Facist regime by the second world war his flying for the Italian air force seems a bit unlikely. His age doesn't help either. Few WWI pilots flew in WW2. We'll have to see.

And wouldn't he be fully human again after the movie? He'd hardly be Porco Rosso at all!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.02.2009, 06:48 AM.

06.02.2009, 06:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
oldwrench
Warawara

Registration Date: 02.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by oldwrench Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hard to say where Miyazaki would go with a sequel. Imagination is unlimited. He seems to have a great love for flying, of all kinds, so it doesn't surprise me that Porco would be his choice fo a sequel. A chance to do real aircraft again.

06.02.2009, 09:05 AM oldwrench is offline   Profile for oldwrench Add oldwrench to your buddy list YIM Screenname: oldwrench2000
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Doesn't sound like an anime, like Saddle, I agree that it's probably a manga one-shot. Few people know that he still does manga, for that matter.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.02.2009, 10:46 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

He did that great series of... well I guess cartoon strips of German WW2 tank crews all drawn as pigs as well. As far as I can remember his tank drawings were very accurate.

EDIT: Googled for it. "The Return of Hans".

Example page:

http://www.mv.com/users/ctwilkes/Hans/Ep...nsreturn_01.jpg

Also:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/manga/zassou.html

I think something like this is what Miyazaki intends to create.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.02.2009, 11:17 AM.

06.02.2009, 11:09 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.ooooooooooooo.........ooooooi!!

Jeepers, say this isn't so?

There is, and there can only be the one Porco Rosso. For good or for ill.

Any, ill fated, attempt to produce a sequel will - I State now - will utterly piss off the millions who have already seen the original and have solved it's secrets and are content that the story ended just as Miyazki wanted to.

Forget it, please.

Once the final frames of the original film show a red blob at the mooring jetty and peoples synapses click-enabling the human masters brain gloop, to function and say- "Eh hold on. ain't that whatsisname's plane"" Then it is game over. They met, they kissed, they have tea in the garden, etc. How can this beauty be extended, except for the sole purpose os of squeezing more money? (Hollywood's favourite trick.)

Leave the original Porco Rosso alone.

06.03.2009, 12:41 PM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Looks like you missed the fact that it isn't a sequel but a manga? You did read the linked-to article?

06.03.2009, 01:14 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not sure why this is only tentatively being called a manga - it seems rather obvious that it is a manga and not a film according to the article.

He also wrote manga based around Nausicaa. This would probably be similar to that, though not as voluminous as that one.

06.03.2009, 08:53 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Chuckler
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.05.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chuckler Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To Saddletank.

Um, no. I didn't miss the fact that the article(?) was just speculation/fluff/blog material at all. Far from it since I did read through to the end.

So it "Is" to be a manga and not a sequel? Are you sure? Positively sure on that viewpoint? "cos my reading is that the article (?) greatly differs from what you are attempting to sell here. I read through that article and conclude that there there is no way anyone can conclusively state what you are attempting to say is factual. Jeez.

How long has it been since Porco was made/released? (I'll let you educate us on that one.) Long enough, yes?

Of all the stuff I've read, from what Miyazaki has said, I cannot believe that HE would produce a sequel/manga or otherwise. It is not in the man to do a thing like that. For you to suggest otherwise will be stretching matters beyond belief, especially since you, yourself, have previously said that the man would not do sequels, etc.

Porco, as it was made, is perfect. It is complete. It is a finished film. It is a wonderfully finished and completed film. It has all the "i's" dotted and the "t's" crossed. All of the heroes and heroines are fully accounted for. They all live happily ever after. End of story.

The only possible reason for ANYONE thinking that a sequel/manga, et al, is remotely possible is because, they can smell Dollars from the clueless. (A la Hollywood).

So, you believe the article, do you? Do you also believe what Murdoch wants you to believe in his newspapers, do you?

Look back and see what the article is... IT is a blog piece, a piece requiring hits for it's continuance, a fluff posting. Better people read and see deeper into such stuff beforehand.

My initial, and good humouredly, posted response was simply there to say what it said. Nothing more.

This response is responding to your somewhat snide reply.

Live better, my friend.

Peace.

06.04.2009, 11:57 AM Chuckler is offline   Profile for Chuckler Add Chuckler to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Oh. You got out the wrong side of the bed this morning didn't you? I just read the article, concluded it was about a series of drawings and posted my opinion.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine.

But you do know that Miyazaki does not, I repeat not make sequels. Ever. He has said so. I'm sure Nausicaa.net even has a transcript of the interview in which he stated that.

06.04.2009, 04:13 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah, I hate it when people take things the wrong way...

My Anime List

06.04.2009, 05:46 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Of all the stuff I've read, from what Miyazaki has said, I cannot believe that HE would produce a sequel/manga or otherwise.

Hate to repeat myself but....he wrote a manga around Nausicaa up until the mid 90s.

06.05.2009, 02:28 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
hopexx5
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.17.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by hopexx5 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Some of you might want to check this out to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porco_Rosso
if it doesnt take you strait to the sequel part you will find it easily by scrolling down.

01.21.2011, 01:04 PM hopexx5 is offline   Profile for hopexx5 Add hopexx5 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I've heard things about this supposed sequel, but it always sounds a bit shaky, especially in that Wiki article where they haven't even cited a source...

01.21.2011, 03:46 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chuckler
My initial, and good humouredly, posted response was simply there to say what it said. Nothing more.

This response is responding to your somewhat snide reply.

Live better, my friend.

Peace.

Chuckler you completely missed the point of what Saddle and the artice was saying from what I can tell, since it clearly wasn't meant as a 'snide reply'.

I would say of all the films Porco Rosso has one of the most ambigious endings, yes it's implied he does visit her in the garden but the future of them as a couple as well as the future of the other character's is left extremely open - it would be plausible enough to assume that Miyazaki might draw manga around that just explaining that future further - or even more likely perhaps he'll just do 'adventures' of Porco, in his heyday or what have you, since in the film we here so much about his reputation, perhaps Miyazaki would like to expand on that.

And as for your comment that it is 'not in the man to do a thing like that', that is utterly absurd. What do you understand of Miyazaki? He's a man with a complicated personal philosophy at the best of times, who I wouldn't say is extremely revealing in his interviews. Above all he's a man who loves his film and loves aviation, it is perfectly possible he'd like to show that adoration in the form of manga - a medium he has used in the past.

I know you're new to the forum but there are better ways of arguing your point then getting defensive, plenty of us share different opinions but don't feel the need to be quite so aggressive in voicing them.

Just my opinion!

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 01.23.2011, 08:05 AM.

01.23.2011, 08:03 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wooops~ Double post. My bad!

Post last edited by Nausicaa_Cat on 01.23.2011, 08:04 AM.

01.23.2011, 08:03 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks