QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Wait, I just noticed...
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Wait, I just noticed... » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Wait, I just noticed...Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Look at Nausicaa and Ashitaka!They look similar!
-Both have hoods with a mask
-Blue clothes
-similar legs
-similar feet

So, just randomly, what would you think if they were like brother and sister?

08.20.2008, 08:39 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, yeah. Of course they look similar. Miyazaki did Mononoke after finishing with the Nausicaa manga. So Mononoke is sort of like Nausicaa redone. (sort of...) I remember reading somewhere that he wasnt happy with the end of nausicaa. So maybe he wanted to do something like it again, only with an ending that satisfied him. The enviornmental themes, the character design (Ashitaka and San both bear a resemblance to Nausicaa), the camera angles (one of the the first scenes in Nausicaa where Nausicaa is chased by the ohmu on her mehve, the first scene in monoonoke where ashitaka is chased by the giant boar) even the last scene (in Nausicaa there is a tree beginning to sprout in the clean place under the sea of corruption, in Mononoke there are trees sprouting and a kodoma walking among them. in both there is that last hopeful scene where the forest is coming back.) are alike.
There are more similarities, but I'm too tired to list them now. Maybe somebody else can back me up with this...

08.20.2008, 11:08 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, I don't think this is limited to Ashitaka and Nauscaa; pretty much all of Miyazaki's characters look alike. It's part of his style, I think. He doesn't focus much on variation in facial characteristics. Kiki and Sheeta look very similar as well.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.20.2008, 11:35 PM.

08.20.2008, 11:32 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Then theres also the near copying of characters by Miyazaki Jr.
I'll refrain from writing the list of character match-ups as much as i might want to.

08.21.2008, 05:29 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@Orphic

Yeah, they do! I remember when I first saw the preview to Laputa - my mom thought that she looked like Kiki with long hair, and we kept on getting excited about it and wanted to see that movie (I was like six when we first started seeing this preview, although it was on our Kiki movie so we had to keep on seeing it) and didn't find it until I was nine.

and anyway, when Sheeta's hair gets cut off and you see it in the preview, we always thought that she MUSTA been Kiki as, well, the hair! The utter resemblance!

Haha..

08.21.2008, 05:44 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by T.C. I'll refrain from writing the list of character match-ups as much as i might want to.
Please do, I'd be interested.

08.21.2008, 10:01 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Try Hare from GS and Kurotawa from Nausicaa. If you don't see the resemblance, you need a pair of magnifying glasses for specs.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.21.2008, 10:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Shawn
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Try Hare from GS and Kurotawa from Nausicaa. If you don't see the resemblance, you need a pair of magnifying glasses for specs.

I lol'd!

08.21.2008, 10:35 AM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

GS? What's GS? I think Curtiss in Porco looks like Kurotawa.

08.21.2008, 10:51 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Maho_Fushida
GS? What's GS?
Gedo Senki. You know, Earthsea.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.22.2008, 11:36 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Shawn
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've never seen someone make similarities like that before...
It's cool!

08.22.2008, 02:00 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
quote:
Originally posted by Maho_Fushida
GS? What's GS?
Gedo Senki. You know, Earthsea.

Never heard of Earthsea...

08.25.2008, 10:33 AM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
Sarcasm Master
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Sarcasm Master Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I thought so, too. Speaking of Mononoke/Nausicaa similarities, I thought that Lady Kushana was similar to Lady Eboshi with the bodyguard(they both look similar,too), and the one arm, only in opposite sides.

I also thought of San and Nausicaa meeting and they became the best of friends, though San said that she hates humans, which is also contradicted with her relationship with Ashitaka.

11.29.2008, 09:58 AM Sarcasm Master is offline   Profile for Sarcasm Master Add Sarcasm Master to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks