QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc. Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc.Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In the Studio Ghibli movies there are plenty of characters that pretty much appear again and again with different names. Same with themes, objects, certain animals and other things.

So far I've thought of:
trains
cats
flying
and the word "Castle" in titles

What have you guys got?

08.20.2006, 05:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Cherry
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cherry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hii !!!

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

08.25.2006, 11:21 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
Endless Twilight
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.19.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Endless Twilight Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Trees and Japan

08.26.2006, 12:07 AM Endless Twilight is offline   Profile for Endless Twilight Add Endless Twilight to your buddy list Send an Email to Endless Twilight Homepage of Endless Twilight
Cherry
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cherry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i like japanese gardens they're so beautiful

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

Post last edited by Cherry on 08.26.2006, 12:46 AM.

08.26.2006, 12:46 AM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
Endless Twilight
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Endless Twilight Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey chihiro1096 go here and tell what you think.http://www.ffhybrid.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112

08.26.2006, 05:55 PM Endless Twilight is offline   Profile for Endless Twilight Add Endless Twilight to your buddy list Send an Email to Endless Twilight Homepage of Endless Twilight
Cherry
Totoro

it's cool

Sig made by Miyrru! <33

08.26.2006, 06:49 PM Cherry is offline   Profile for Cherry Add Cherry to your buddy list
Endless Twilight
Totoro

Glad u like it,

08.26.2006, 06:58 PM Endless Twilight is offline   Profile for Endless Twilight Add Endless Twilight to your buddy list Send an Email to Endless Twilight Homepage of Endless Twilight
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lana from "Future Boy Conan":

'CONAN!'

Sophie from "Howl's Moving Castle":

'HOWL!'

Doesn't it strike you how similar those two shots are?

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Post last edited by Konan on 08.26.2006, 09:58 PM.

08.26.2006, 09:57 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I will be continuing to compare similar shots between Miyazaki's works. Here is part 2.

Tera from "Future Boy Conan":

San from "Princess Mononoke":

Notice in both pictures the presence of a strong and angry girl riding a white animal and carrying a mask (with wig attached) and a spear. Coincidence, eh?

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment

08.27.2006, 04:37 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

whoa... you've got some good ones there... I wish I could come up with some better ones than what I've posted...

08.28.2006, 12:25 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Konan
Warawara

No need to say anything ...

Post last edited by Konan on 08.29.2006, 01:02 PM.

08.29.2006, 12:52 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Those ones also remind me of a point in Grave of the Fireflies, and the bit at the train station in Spirited Away (I can't quite explain why it reminds me of that one lol)

08.29.2006, 01:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Konan
Warawara

The similarity really comes when you see them in motion:

08.29.2006, 05:46 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

The heroine having possession of a mysterious blue gem has figured in much of Miyazaki's work since Hilda in "Horus, Prince of the Sun". A few examples:
"Horus, Prince of the Sun"

"Castle of Cagliostro"

"Sherlock Hound Episode 3 -- Blue Ruby"

"Castle in the Sky"

"Princess Mononoke"

"Howl's Moving Castle"

Post last edited by Konan on 08.30.2006, 12:08 AM.

08.29.2006, 11:57 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Umbrellas, I think. Totoro had an umbrella, there's a battered on in Grave of the Fireflies, there's one in Howl's Moving Castle, etc etc. If I had images I'd show them, but I don't unfortunately

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

08.30.2006, 03:25 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

A couple of them are up there somewhere ^

08.30.2006, 12:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Konan
Warawara

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
A couple of them are up there somewhere ^

Here: http://www.onlineghibli.com/tavern/threa...7&page=1#11

I did not include the example from Isao Takahata's "Grave of the Fireflies" because right now I'm concentrating on Hayao Miyazaki's work.

08.30.2006, 12:46 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, there we go. Thanks for that.

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

08.30.2006, 12:59 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Pigs appear all throughout Miyazaki's work. Some examples:
"Horus, Prince of the Sun" (look closely for it)

"Animal Treasure Island"

"Yuki's Sun"

"Future Boy Conan"

"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" (the masks look rather porcine)

"Castle in the Sky"

"Porco Rosso"

"Nandarou"

"Sora Iro no Tane"

"On Your Mark" (again, look at the masks)

"Princess Mononoke"

"Spirited Away"

"The Imaginary Flying Machines"

08.30.2006, 01:58 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Whoaaaa that's a lot of pigs... Grr, I wish I could come up with some good recurring stuff!

08.30.2006, 02:06 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks