QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc. Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]
Robert
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Robert Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Most of the main females have the same face in whispers of the heart,Kiki's,Porco rosso,have a look if you can.

09.17.2006, 09:56 AM Robert is offline   Profile for Robert Add Robert to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I got two similarities, one serious, one random and silly

Serious one: Clarisse's model was used as the Nausicaa model-

Silly one: Notice the difference yet similarity-

Nausicaa: You must stop!

Me: NOOOOO YOU CAN'T LEAVE IT THERE!!! GAAARRRR!!!!

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

09.24.2006, 11:16 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol, nice!

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.24.2006, 11:18 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I noticed a similarity..
I cant believe i didnt see this before!!!
THEY ARE ALL ANIMATIONS!!! OH MY GOD !!

09.24.2006, 11:26 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Freyarule
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Holy crud I forgot about that one! WOW!

09.24.2006, 11:38 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, were all geniuses eh? nice catch jrr, we almost droppd the ball.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.24.2006, 11:42 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I KNOW!!!
I am so clever its unbelievable!!
ALL HAIL JRR!! (homage to sponge bob movie )

09.24.2006, 11:48 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think that Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind, and Princess Mononoke have almost identical storylines...
[list]
[*]The protagonists are girls (I'm taking Mononoke as the main character, not Ashitaka)
[*]The main enemy is a woman
[*]There's rampaging animals (bugs or boars) filled with hate
[*]Both relate to human kind's bond with environment
[*]Both conclude with a big battle
[*]Both have a town being destroyed (Irontown and that strange capital that's destroyed by Ohmu... if i remember correctly)
[*]Both have humans who are oblivious to the extent of damage they are dealing to the environment
[/list]

And there are less obvious, small similarites I remember posting when i first saw the film... I really need to watch Nausicäa again, it's been a while since I watched it...

EDIT: Lol, I love the Sponge Bob movie, JRR!!

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

Post last edited by Phyrra on 09.24.2006, 11:53 AM.

09.24.2006, 11:52 AM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Interesting similarities, Phyrra

09.24.2006, 12:17 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Phyrra
Baron

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Phyrra Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Freyarule
Interesting similarities, Phyrra

Thank you Freyarule... I absolutely love your Nausicäa faces above ~ I laughed so much at the bottom one!!

Thanks to mpw3d who made ths amazing sig! The avatar was made by Sarah, from www.digik.net

09.24.2006, 01:24 PM Phyrra is offline   Profile for Phyrra Add Phyrra to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

hehe thanks - it took me ages to find that screenshot >_< I can't imagine why, I think it's one of the best shots of the film

09.25.2006, 01:34 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
tigerboyce
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tigerboyce Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Konan
The similarity really comes when you see them in motion:

mabye the warthogs from princess monoke too?

09.25.2006, 02:16 PM tigerboyce is offline   Profile for tigerboyce Add tigerboyce to your buddy list
Jomo
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.25.06
  More umbrellasPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jomo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There is a lovely umbrella scene in My Neighbors the Yamadas. Always makes me smile...

09.25.2006, 05:01 PM Jomo is offline   Profile for Jomo Add Jomo to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tigerboyce
quote:
Originally posted by Konan
The similarity really comes when you see them in motion:

mabye the warthogs from princess monoke too?

Not really -- I'm talking about the sliding-plates-like motion (I don't know how else to describe it) of both the ohmu and Howl's castle.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Post last edited by Konan on 09.25.2006, 05:17 PM.

09.25.2006, 05:16 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oops -- double post, sorry.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment

Post last edited by Konan on 09.25.2006, 05:17 PM.

09.25.2006, 05:17 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

I know what you mean!!
The different parts move in and out of each other..
Especially to be seen when the Ohms turn, eg: in the scene where nausicaa calms down the Ohm following Lord Yupa..
Its like different parts of them (ohm and castle) are on different levels of animaion and are moved separately!!
I like that simliarity!!

Post last edited by Loscil on 09.25.2006, 05:25 PM.

09.25.2006, 05:24 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Konan
Warawara

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
I know what you mean!!
The different parts move in and out of each other..
Especially to be seen when the Ohms turn, eg: in the scene where nausicaa calms down the Ohm following Lord Yupa..
Its like different parts of them (ohm and castle) are on different levels of animaion and are moved separately!!
I like that simliarity!!

Exactly!

Also, these strike me as very similar:
Clarrise from "The Castle of Cagliostro":

Thea from "The Journey of Shuna" (a Miyazaki manga from 1983):

Post last edited by Konan on 09.25.2006, 06:48 PM.

09.25.2006, 06:47 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

I have cagliostro on dvd..but I have yet to see it, so I cant comment on that one!!
Btw.. in your sig, the picture far right..What is it(looks like Laputa rob holding lupin)

09.26.2006, 03:16 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Konan
Warawara

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
I have cagliostro on dvd..but I have yet to see it, so I cant comment on that one!!
Btw.. in your sig, the picture far right..What is it(looks like Laputa rob holding lupin)

It's from Episode 155 of the second Lupin III series, "Farewell, Beloved Lupin", directed and written/storyboarded by Hayao Miyazaki.

09.26.2006, 07:19 AM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

I heard about that. Cagliostro was the second Ghibli film I ever watched, and I thought it was well cool

09.26.2006, 01:02 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks