QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc. Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmm? well, do you? im not sure yet cause i havent seen the whole flm, still watching it as i post this.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.03.2006, 08:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I am.
The exact same characteristics(if that's how you
spell that word) and interests.

10.03.2006, 08:24 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i dunno, i still got almost half to go, im not sure, but ill take oyur word for it.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.03.2006, 08:28 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Whisper of the Heart is my cousin's fav film.
It's always a battle between me and her
cause, since I own more films then her,
I'll Porco Rosso and she'll pick that one.
It's not bad, but that's the two films we
fight over.
And always, in the end we watch Howl.
She thinks Howl's hot. 8]

10.03.2006, 08:36 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
k, im just finding this one right now as im watching whisper of the heart, but, on the clock in the house shizuku finds while lead by the cat, there are the words "porco rosso", ill try and find a pic.

Was this the bit you meant?

You can't see the writing very well though

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

10.04.2006, 12:44 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
lok at the thread I saw whisper of the heart yesterday by me!!
the porco thing was mentioned in there ages ago...
and the kiki and the white totoro!!!
Well.. Snafan, post your two cents in that thread to contribute to whipser mania!!

10.04.2006, 04:56 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

meh, my 2 cents may go wherever it may, that makes us alike lol.

Click for Gallery^^

10.04.2006, 05:38 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Like my new avatar?
Sorry, it's quite small.
She's sorta like me too(the girl in my avatar!)
I wonder why they put porco rosso on the clock?
They also put the word ghibli on an plane engine
in porco rosso, if you haven't noticed.

10.04.2006, 05:48 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

nice, cool avy, ill make a sig if you want, from what i heard yesterday you really want one.

Yeah, i got the ghibli on the engine, lesewhere in the board here, it was mentioned that there might be a engine company called ghibli, im not to sure on the exact post but its something along those lines.

Click for Gallery^^

Post last edited by Miyrru on 10.04.2006, 05:51 PM.

10.04.2006, 05:51 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Cool.
Still thinking about the sig thing.
Had a rough day(someone ripped the cover
off a book I was borrowing!!) and lost my
gym sneakers.
I want to scream...
Oh, thanks!
Yeah, I noticed Sheeta looks like Kiki
also.

10.04.2006, 05:56 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

cmon, just let me make you one, im really bored and i havent made one in a while, im doing an order for naussica cat, so might as well whip you up on in that batch.

Click for Gallery^^

10.04.2006, 05:58 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

These little bits and pieces are small jokes among the staff or maybe clues (aka easter eggs) to the fans of Ghibli. There's quite a few around in various films. For example in the fantasy street scene where the craftsman is making the Baron doll, you see two girls with cat-ears like Haru grew in The Cat Returns.

Doesn't seem to have any meaning in the film, and can't be a link to the The Cat Returns since that film was made later... so... what are the cat ears doing?

The cat ears come up when Haru grows them though so that sets your mind thinking back to Whisper and you begin to wonder what the artists were about

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.04.2006, 05:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  similarities between Howl's Moving Castle and LaputaPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are many similarities between Howl's Moving Castle and Laputa: Castle In The Sky.

Firstly:
the use of the word castle in the title. An obvious connection.

Second:

_

And that's all I've got so far. But hopefully you understand what I mean.

10.07.2006, 07:07 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found this video while searching on youtube. It's a montage of several scenes with Kathy, the heroine of Miyazaki's early film "Animal Treasure Island", from the end of the film. It's in Italian, though, instead of Japanese: http://youtube.com/watch?v=PY7Egd1WSl0
Does she remind you of any other Miyazaki heroines?

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Post last edited by Konan on 10.07.2006, 02:19 PM.

10.07.2006, 07:13 AM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Doesn't really remind of anyone else >_< but now I know who that girl is in your sig, Konan funky

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

10.07.2006, 03:42 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
These little bits and pieces are small jokes among the staff or maybe clues (aka easter eggs) to the fans of Ghibli. There's quite a few around in various films. For example in the fantasy street scene where the craftsman is making the Baron doll, you see two girls with cat-ears like Haru grew in The Cat Returns.

Doesn't seem to have any meaning in the film, and can't be a link to the The Cat Returns since that film was made later... so... what are the cat ears doing?

The cat ears come up when Haru grows them though so that sets your mind thinking back to Whisper and you begin to wonder what the artists were about

The Cat Returns was identified by its writer as "The story that Shizuku Tsukishima would have written if she became a writer." So the link could be there, especially as both were supposed to come in part from Shizuku's imagination.

Many of these have probably already been posted, but...

1. Similar looking heroines is probably a stylistic thing, due to many of the movies being made by the same people. Even characters from Castle Cagliostro look somewhat "Ghibli" although they are less so in other Lupin movies. The flat noses etc are, I think just the style.

2. Certain machines and animals reappear. There are very similar flying machines in Laputa, Howl, Nausicaa etc.

3. The same species as Teto (Called -- I think, from memory -- Kitsune-Risu) also make an appearance with the robot on Laputa. Okay. Perhaps that's a bit of an obvious one.

4. I'm pretty sure I've seen the large, bovine animals that Sheeta was herding on another movie. There's also a pictorial novel by Miyazaki (I forget the name) which uses imagery from many of the movies in the same story.

If only I could remember that NAME...!

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.08.2006, 04:27 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Things we see repeatedly, all of these must be things important to Miyazaki's heart or senses:

1) Cloudscapes and skyscapes - we see these everywhere (Porco, Kiki, Laputa, Howl) - fantastic cloud formations and beautiful blue skies, I think such skies must come from childhood?
2) The colour of the sky, particularly dawn and dusk - Totoro, Porco and Whisper all feature beautiful sunset or sunrise scenes, the colours in the artwork are wonderful.
3) Trees and nature - the skill and realism with which plants are depicted is consistently lovely. Totoro, Only Yesterday and Mononoke are the best examples.
4) Sunlight and shadow. The action of dappled sunlight through trees is a popular recurring theme. The scene is Whisper where Shizuku and Sugimura are talking in the woods beside the shrine is full of fantastic sunlight and shade effects, both on the ground and the characters faces,
4) Water, particularly small chucking streams or waves on the seashore (Howl, Totoro, Kiki...)
5) The wind. Studio Ghibli's directors seem to have a special affinity to the wind and we see grasses being blown by it (SpiritedAway) and water (Whisper).

I think Miyazaki and Takahata have a close connection to the natural world in all it's forms and many of their films link to wind, water and forest spirits and gods, these are evidence of a person brought up in an older more traditional way.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 10.08.2006, 05:01 AM.

10.08.2006, 05:01 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Little Tanuki
4. I'm pretty sure I've seen the large, bovine animals that Sheeta was herding on another movie. There's also a pictorial novel by Miyazaki (I forget the name) which uses imagery from many of the movies in the same story.
If only I could remember that NAME...!

The Journey of Shuna.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

10.08.2006, 08:09 AM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
Yeah, i was about to Say.. Shuna No tabi!!
Supposedly, Goro has was inspired by the art in that for Gedo Senki..
Also, It is kind of obvious that Cagliostro characters would look Ghibliish, as it is a Hayao Miyazaki movie, and most ghibli films are miyzaki..

10.08.2006, 10:49 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There are also a lot of similarities between Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

For example, the blob men are very similar to No-Face in appearance, and before he eats the frog they seem to have the same sort of consistency.

Also, when Howl is in that weird bird-form, it's similar to Yubaba's bird form in Spirited Away.

And the storyline itself is fairly similar: a girl (in HMC, a young girl who has been turned into a 90-year-old woman, but a young girl nonetheless) who ends up in a world of magic, etc, and has to lift a curse (in SA it isn't necessarily a curse, but it's the same thing).

So yeah.

Basically, I think that a lot of the stuff in HMC make it basically a combination of all previous Ghibli movies.

10.09.2006, 12:53 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks