QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc.
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Recurring characters, themes, objects, etc. Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thanks, im sure it wont take you long now, to be somewhat realavent, teto rocked, all the minor pets were cool.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.10.2006, 05:09 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

From "People of the Desert":

From "Castle of Cagliostro":

In both instances, the heroine makes a daring and heroic leap to escape the clutches of a villain. Even the layout of both scenes is conspicuously similar.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

10.17.2006, 07:47 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh! very good similarity!

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

10.18.2006, 10:53 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
people of the desert...
Available in english???
Good similarity!!!!

btw: thx for sig Freya!

10.18.2006, 12:08 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Freyarule
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
btw: thx for sig Freya!

No problem JRR

10.18.2006, 12:38 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
YO!!
people of the desert...
Available in english???

It's not available in English, and it's also out-of-print in Japan, but you can nevertheless find it here, thanks to
nanashi: http://rose-rote.hp.infoseek.co.jp/miya/sabaku/index.htm

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

10.18.2006, 12:59 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Konan
quote:
Originally posted by foreignfilmfreak
The hamster thing is called a Nezumi.

I think that's the Japanese word for mouse.

The hamster thing was "Nezumi-bou" (Bou for baby, Nezumi for mouse. Because when Bou the giant baby turns into a mouse, he is called Nezumi-bou.)

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.19.2006, 05:14 PM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Isn't "chu" the Japanese for mouse? Or am I just an idiot?

10.20.2006, 09:05 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
As far as I know, Chu means medium, because there is chu totoro (medium totoro) and sho totoro (small totoro)..
Correct me if im wrong

10.20.2006, 12:30 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fair point... maybe it has more than one meaning? I find that when I want to use translators, they give many options.

10.20.2006, 12:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here's Chihiro's familys new neighbourhood:

And here's where Mr Nishi lives:

Look similar?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.20.2006, 12:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Yeah, they look almost exactly the same, except the first one has more houses, and the second is just about a mirror image of the first

10.20.2006, 12:39 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I was thinking that Chihiros view has a group of trees on the right, Nishi's has a group on the left. They could almost be L and R views of 2 halves of the same panorama.

I should think there is a place in the Tokyo suburbs that inspired both locations.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.20.2006, 12:42 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18

... Or are you perhaps -- I don't know -- thinking of the short-vowelled "chu" which is Japanese onomatopoeia (spelling?) for a kiss? I know there is a point at which Nezumi-bou kisses Zeniba (again, sp.?), Yubaba's twin. I am totally clutching at straws here!!

The tree locations are very similar. I know that Miyazaki often uses real locations for inspiration. Like, for instance, part of the Onsen in "Sp.Away" -- especially some of the internal views -- was based on Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama. (Was living there at the time, so the local paper was making a big deal of this fact. )

And Osono's bakery in "Kiki" was based on a bakery in Ross, Tasmania. Also a lot of the coastal cityscape was partially based on the city of Hobart and especially the Post Office and possibly the clocktower.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

Post last edited by Little Tanuki on 10.21.2006, 01:53 AM.

10.21.2006, 01:50 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Little Tanuki
quote:
Originally posted by arren18

... Or are you perhaps -- I don't know -- thinking of the short-vowelled "chu" which is Japanese onomatopoeia (spelling?) for a kiss? I know there is a point at which Nezumi-bou kisses Zeniba (again, sp.?), Yubaba's twin. I am totally clutching at straws here!!

No...

Actually, I got it from various things. Like the game ChuChu Rocket. And (going a few years back) from Pokemon.

By the way, well done at spelling onomatopoeia right.

10.21.2006, 06:03 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Freyarule
Totoro

PIKACHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!

10.21.2006, 09:12 AM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Sorry I can't post pics, but there is a parade of foxes in Pom poko that is very similar to the cat parade in Cat Returns.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.25.2006, 10:56 PM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!!
screen capture - Upload to photobucket - Post link in post!!
that how you do it!

10.26.2006, 03:26 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Cool. Still waiting for a DVD decoder download (and see if it's multi regional.) but will do.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.30.2006, 03:28 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

I will now bump this old thread with another recurring theme in Ghibli:

crying.

It happens so much, but a lot of the time, it doesn't sound like crying at all (Sophie in Howl's Moving Castle for example). One exception is in Totoro, when Mei cries.

Anyhoo, it happens a lot.

12.15.2006, 04:18 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks