QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Studio Ghibli 2 disc sets in the UK ????
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Studio Ghibli 2 disc sets in the UK ???? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 05.16.07
  Studio Ghibli 2 disc sets in the UK ????Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lagi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi everybody,

Congratulations for this forum, we find a lot of informations.

I explain you my situation. I'm French but for professional reasons, I live in the UK. My wish is to collect french editions of studio ghibli and UK editions as well.

My question is simple. I bought all the UK editions (Optimum edition) that I could have found, but one hole remains : the number 2. I have only one missing, it's the cat whispers. Is the number two this one ?

In the end, what have been the 2 disc editions titles. For the moment, I have Spirited away (with red and grey tops), howl's castle (amazon sleeve, i'm looking for hmv sleeve now, but i don't find it.), and the grave of the fireflies (a first edition with golden top and bottom, and the grey top one, the one I have currently, with the two discs edition).

But I am very surprised that there is not a 2 disc edition of Princess Mononoke. Because in France, there has been one with a beautiful wood package and red coloured with two discs inside. Then, Princess Mononoke has it had a 2 discs edition ? If yes, can we find it in Optimum edition because I would like to keep all the titles in the same edition if possible and put the other edition on another shelf. I know for instance and according to nausicaa.net that there has been a magnificent package of Princess Mononoke at the very beginning by Buena Vista in the UK. But I wanted to be sure of that because I don't find it either. It is the same for Kiki's Delivery. Can we find a 2 discs set of this title ?

What have been the titles which have been released by Buena Vista in the UK ?

Thanks a lot.

PS : I don't know what you think about that but I have the impression that collector stuff is really a French thing because in the UK, the studio ghibli editions are so cheap with generally one disc inside that I can wonder if there is really an interest in 2 disc sets. The only exception is the tin case of Evangelion exclusive in UK. I dreamt of this dvd set. I got it for the pleasure of my eyes.

Shortly, if you could give all the releases of studio ghibli collection in the UK, I would be very grateful, and I insist on the collector editions, that is to say the 2-disc sets.

Thanks a lot.

Post last edited by Lagi on 05.16.2007, 12:12 PM.

05.16.2007, 12:04 PM Lagi is offline   Profile for Lagi Add Lagi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I think Optimum in the UK is a fairly small operation run on a low budget so they don't produce collectors editions. I assume they think true collectors would buy the R2 releases.

And yes Optimum's No2 DVD is The Cat Returns, I have it, so it's around.

The only Optimum release I know of that had 2 discs in (I have them all) are Grave, Howl and Spirited Away. Optimum only do the one edition, no special editions, so no Kiki with 2 discs etc.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.16.2007, 12:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Lagi
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lagi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ok, I have them too, but I'm just surprised that Optimum didn't release a 2 disc edition as well for Princess Mononoke especially.

And concerning the very first editions of Studio Ghibli films by Buena Vista, does anyone know about them ? The ones I remember are Princess Mononke, Kiki's delivery and Spirited Away. But maybe there are some others which can have some value according to me ???

Thank you very much for your answer, Saddletank.

I think you wanted to mean "I assume they think true collectors would buy R1 releases" and not R2.

05.16.2007, 01:46 PM Lagi is offline   Profile for Lagi Add Lagi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, R2, the Japanese originals. I don't think people would want to buy the Disney ones when the same product is in the UK Optimum package.

Also I think the French language ones might be produced for the Canadian market?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.16.2007, 02:54 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Lagi
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lagi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Maybe concerning the French ones which are produced for Canada as well. In France, the order is like this :

1. Princesse Mononoke (collector with wood box and 2 dvd + prestige edition with a piece of pellicula but just one disc for this one)

2. Spirited Away (the same as Princess Mononoke)

3. Laputa (prestige edition)

4. Kiki's delivery (prestige)

5. The cat whispers (prestige)

6. Porco Rosso (collector edition with 2 dvd, the second dvd is devoted to the storyboard ; different sleeve for the collector edition)

7.The Howl's Castle (collector edition with 2 DVD and a different sleeve)

8. Pompoko (2 dvds ; different sleeve for the collector edition)

9. My neighbour Totoro (2 discs ; different sleeve for the collector edition)

10. Nausicaa (2 discs ; It should be just launched in France right now)

The first five are Prestige edition with only one disc. The case was with a fragile transparent plastic, but it was nicely done, especially with the piece of pellicula.

Only Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away had the honor to get the mega collector edition with a wood box. Magnificent !!!

I don't know which one is the 8 or 9 given that they have been launched in the same time.

Then, we can notice that we have the same thing I think, except that the storyboards are on a second dvd.

Saddletank, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think you were talking about the Disney ones.

Do you have english subtitles on the japanese editions ??? If not, it could be hard for me to find a reason to buy them...

Post last edited by Lagi on 05.16.2007, 04:49 PM.

05.16.2007, 04:46 PM Lagi is offline   Profile for Lagi Add Lagi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Forgive me for sounding a little rude perhaps as I am not a collector, but if you collect special editions why play them? Surely the purpose is to keep them in perfect as-new condition so their value remains high?

I buy Ghibli movies to watch, enjoy and discuss them. As long as I have the basic movie I don't need anything else (2nd DVDs with interviews and 'making ofs' and storyboards on etc).

Surely a collector wants to own intrinisically the special edition just to keep it; the movie can be watched on the ordinary Optimum or Disney DVD?

Again apologies if I seem rude but I personally don't understand collecting of movie editions (or special book editions for that matter).

05.17.2007, 04:57 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Lagi
Susuwatari

lol

Don't worry, I'm not this kind of collector. I don't buy it to look at it with the blister and then put it on a shelf. Some of them do that, buy one with the blister and another one to watch it. Not me, I buy only one, but I just want the best possible edition in the country where I am. I discover the optimum editions of studio ghibli collection, I noticed you had more titles than us. For instance, I don't know if in France we have Only Yesterday.

I wanted to buy the UK editions because they are not expensive, I like their sleeves which are very sober in my opinion and then classy.

And in the end, it improves my english with the subtitles, because of course, the japanese audio is compulsory for me. I can't bear the other dubbings, and sometimes, we have no choice, only japanese. Good for me, as soon as I have english subtitles.

No, it's just to have the right edition. I mean, it would get on my nerves if I bought a one dvd set when two days later, I find a 2 dvd set. And then, I watch them. They don't remind unopened forever.

For me, there is no interest to collect some dvds if you don't play them. You can't be passionated of something if you don't see the concern of it. I know there are collectors who don't know anything about their collections, but they are just happy to own it. No, definitely, I'm not like this.

I love studio ghibli and I don't mind talking about them during hours and hours.

05.17.2007, 09:45 PM Lagi is offline   Profile for Lagi Add Lagi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When I bought my SA DVD, I didn't have a DVD player

Anyway, you can play the DVDs while still keeping the items in the mint. No matter how much of a collector you are, unless you have two copies, you WILL open the pack, and that alone degrades the value by a little already.

And you have to remember that some of these limited edition items have stuff not available in the standard editions. It's just not right to not watch it.

The most extreme is to watch/read/see whatever is in that set ONCE, then seal it away. I do that a lot, too, seeing how I'm a compulsive collector myself.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.18.2007, 12:01 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Lagi, in that case the only UK editions are those by Optimum and they are:

#1 Nausicaa 1
#2 Cat Returns 1
#3 Porco 1
#4 PomPoko 1
#5 Kiki 1
#6 Laputa 1
#7 Howl 2
#8 Mononoke 1
#9 Totoro 1
#10 Grave 2
#11 Whisper 1
#12 Yamadas 1
#13 Spirited Away 2
#14 Only Yesterday 1

(the numbers after the title refer to the number of DVDs in the box)

In addition Optimum have released "Castle of Cagliostro" and "Future Boy Conan" in the same format and packaging but un-numbered (since they aren't Ghiblis). The only Ghibli Optimum haven't released is "Ocean Waves", I bought a Japanese original (it has an English sub). Beware, there are very cheap pirate copies of this one around with different packaging.

I did think it odd that Optimum had released "Only Yesterday" when Disney haven't, it seems the Optimum agreement to distribute in the UK is completely independednt of Disneys agreement with Ghibli to distribute in the US.

05.18.2007, 05:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Ryuji35
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.11.06
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ryuji35 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Forgive me for sounding a little rude perhaps as I am not a collector, but if you collect special editions why play them? Surely the purpose is to keep them in perfect as-new condition so their value remains high?

I agree with you, but maybe they buy Special Edition just towatch it and they are not the type of collector who'll sell them someday.

Bou: I am not afraid of blood, let's play!

05.19.2007, 07:53 AM Ryuji35 is offline   Profile for Ryuji35 Add Ryuji35 to your buddy list
Lagi
Susuwatari

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all your answers.

Actually, I'm a simple customer, if I buy all the studio ghibli dvds in the UK, it's only for myself and not to resell them after. Moreover, given the price I bought them, there would almost be no interest to resell them.

Maybe later, I will buy the region 1 or japanese dvds, but I'm still not ready. I'm going to watch all the uk versions first, and watch them again when I buy all the french editions which are handsome as well.

I will never sell them, be sure of that, if you misunderstood me.

You forgot one dvd, Saddletank, it's Little Norse Prince. Concerning this dvd, it's the only one not to have a feature box on the back of the sleeve. Is it the same for all of them, or for some of them. Because I remember it was the same when I looked at the back of some boxsets of Spirited Away in a Virgin (Glasgow), some had a feature square and some had simply nothing. It's because of a new reedition I think. But I'm just wondering for Little Prince Norse. If somebody can answer me, it would just be great.

In the end, I'm looking for the HMV edition (with a specific sleeve) of Howl's Castle. I already have the Amazon edition with the different sleeve, but I must have as well the hmv edition with the howl's castle on the cover.

Thank you very much.

Post last edited by Lagi on 05.21.2007, 08:38 AM.

05.21.2007, 08:37 AM Lagi is offline   Profile for Lagi Add Lagi to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks