QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Ultimate Ghibli Poll
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » The Ultimate Ghibli Poll » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  The Ultimate Ghibli PollPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We've had a few newcomers recently asking about what Ghibli movies they should watch etc and since we haven't done a definitive poll in recent weeks I thought I'd do one.

Here are the movies you can choose from:

Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

My Neighbour Totoro

Grave of the Fireflies

Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday

Porco Rosso

Ocean Waves

Pom Poko

Whisper of the Heart

Princess Mononoke

My Neighbours the Yamadas

Spirited Away

The Cat Returns

Howl's Moving Castle

Tales from Earthsea

I've included Nausicaa simply because it really should be included in any Ghibli listing. I also included Cagliostro because of the Miyazaki pre-Ghibli works its the best known.

Here is how we'll do this.

1) Select FIVE movies.

2) List them in order of preference - add comments about why if you wish.

3) But please try not to have equal place ratings.

4) Your #1 choice gets 5 points, the second 4 and so on. If two or more tie, they'll be given equal points and the next slot(s) will be empty (so say you rate three movies equally highly then a 2nd choice and a 3rd, the top three will all get 5 points, your second will get 2 and your third 1. Make sense?).

5) I will keep a note of the preferences and points scores.

6) When we run out of steam I'll tally the scores and present you with the Ghibli Tavern Ultimate Movie Poll Results.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.10.2007, 08:10 AM.

08.10.2007, 08:06 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My choice is:

1) Whisper of the Heart
2) Only Yesterday
3) Ocean Waves
4) Laputa: Castle in the Sky
5) Porco Rosso

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.10.2007, 08:08 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Spungwa
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.21.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Spungwa Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My choice is:

1) My Neighbour Totoro
2) Whisper of the Heart
3) Nausicaa of the Wind Valley
4) Kiki's delivery service
5) Porco Rosso

Though i do go through phases of changing which films i prefer. Totoro is ALWAYS first though.

Spungwa

08.10.2007, 09:11 AM Spungwa is offline   Profile for Spungwa Add Spungwa to your buddy list
Artoo
Warawara

Registration Date: 07.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Artoo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Spungwa
Though i do go through phases of changing which films i prefer. Totoro is ALWAYS first though.

I completely agree!

My choice:

1) My Neighbour Totoro
2) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
3) Spirited Away
4) Laputa: Castle in the Sky
5) Porco Rosso

It's so difficult choosing!

08.10.2007, 09:53 AM Artoo is offline   Profile for Artoo Add Artoo to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmm, i should update my preferences here, as they have changed.
Mononoke is still #1, but 2 through5 have changed

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Spirited Away
>im still not a big fna of this film, but it has been growing on me substantially. To make clear that my favourite moment of all the films so far is the train ride in SA, that alone makes this my #2, that is how muc i enjoyed that scence
3. Porco Rosso
> strictly speaking, this might be one of the weaker films, but it to me is like the matrix. if you wanted a great thriller that makes you think every step of the way, it disappoints. but if you want a stupid action movie than it fits the bill perfect.\

as a side note, i think it might be best to watch ghiblisin chronological order. saving Mononoke and SA at the end is best, and with Grave and Laputa at the beginning, it makes a strong case to watch all the films. but i digress...
Porco was a very good film, it was simply enjoyable, and wasnt very emotional.
4. Whisper of the Heart
> everyone is going to have this really high but i am putting it down low, mostly because i saw it after Mononoke, and SA, his two best, and arguement can be made for Grave, Even stuff like Nausicaa can be put way up there, but i did like Whisper, but i wasnt overblown by it.
5. Grave of the Firefiles
> i only got to watching half of it, and it was very good. i still think my personal preferences lean me towards action films, while Grave is supposed to me a bit more of a moving piece

well, that is my 2 cents. right now. i am watching Gedo Senki tomorrow after it is done downloading, and i am excited. I have a feeling that after saddles tallies all of the statistics that it is going to be more of the lesser known titles to win it. my guess is that the to three is going to consist of Whisper, Totoro, and Grave. I still rate that the Princess Mononoke is the best film ive ever seen anime wise. with Jin Roh and GITS being close seconds. I think we have to gather a certain number of non-ghiblis and have a vote on the best of those.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.10.2007, 05:53 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I hold Mononoke strongly as one of the best anime films as well. There's nothing that really matches what that film sets out to do, as well. However, I guess because of personal preference I suppose, I'd always rate Whisper higher.

So my top 5 would be:

1) Whisper of the Heart
2) Mononoke-Hime
3) Grave of the Fireflies
4) My Neighbor Totoro
5) Laputa: Castle in the Sky

08.10.2007, 06:21 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
PazuFan
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PazuFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

very hard to chose only 5 but i think mine is:

1. Grave of the Fireflies

2. Spirited Away

3. Laputa: Castle in the Sky

4. My Neighbour Totoro

5. Howl's Moving Castle

08.10.2007, 06:41 PM PazuFan is offline   Profile for PazuFan Add PazuFan to your buddy list
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My choice:

1) Kiki's Delivery Service
2) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
3) Princess Mononoke
4) Whisper of the Heart
5) Grave of the Fireflies

I should qualify this somewhat, because this is not my order of preference... if it were, Whisper would be at the top. But I think this is the order in which I would recommend watching them, to get a good appreciation of what Studio Ghibli is about. I should add that I haven't seen Totoro; from what I've heard, it belongs in that list.

If I were to list my favourites, it would look different. Probably more like this:

1) Whisper of the Heart
2) Kiki's Delivery Service
3) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
4) Grave of the Fireflies
5) Laputa, Castle in the Sky

However - and this is why I am not listing in order of preference - if the first Ghibli I had watched were Whisper, I probably would not have gone out of my way to watch the other ones. I would not have realized the depth at which the film was meant to be watched, nor appreciated the meticulous detail put into its creation which I feel is one of its strongest points. After all, I find that Ghibli's magic comes mostly from my own mental involvement with the film... Starting out with Whisper, I would miss the magic, because I would probably have thought of it as a cartoon.

Then again, I'm not a *real* anime enthusiast (I'm still a beginner ), so maybe other people wouldn't have had that problem.

08.11.2007, 12:51 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
willkennicott
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by willkennicott Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. My Neighbor Totoro--it makes me giddy
2. Spirited Away
3. Kiki's Delivery Service
4. Howl's Moving Castle
5. Whisper of the Heart

Wow--that was hard. I really like all of them--this list would change if you asked me in a few weeks.

And I wish I could include Grave of the Fireflies because though I thought it was extraordinary--I also found it excruciating to sit through.

08.11.2007, 03:37 PM willkennicott is offline   Profile for willkennicott Add willkennicott to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I feel sort of guilty making this list because I haven't seen much of Takahata's work at all (only Grave of the Fireflies, which I wasn't extraordinarily fond of), so I'm probably shortchanging him, but I'm planning to see Only Yesterday pretty soon, and hopefully after that I'll get ahold of Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamadas. I don't feel much of a need to see The Cat Returns or Tales from Earthsea before I make the list, because hardly anyone considers them among Ghibli's best.

With that said, I reserve the right to edit my list at any time until the poll ends, should any of the Takahata films I see between now and then take higher precedence than any of the other films on my list. And with that said, here's the list:

1. Porco Rosso
2. Whisper of the Heart
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. Only Yesterday
5. Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Anyone who saw a previous list I made will realize that this one blatantly contradicts it, but I made the other one under considerable stress; this one is more accurate.

EDIT: I just saw Only Yesterday, and it was amazing--a lovely, nostalgic, contemplative film. The only flaws I could find were that some of the flashbacks could have been fleshed out a bit more, and that Taeko's cheek-wrinkles bothered me. But these are minor details and they hardly detracted from my enjoyment or appreciation of the film. I've rearranged my list accordingly.

The more I look at the new arrangement of my list, the more and more I like it. It's nicely varied and balanced--some action, some drama, some adventure. It also manages to represent the wide variety of age groups Ghibli is capable of making films for.

I don't think I'll change it any more.

Post last edited by Orphic Okapi on 08.14.2007, 03:13 PM.

08.11.2007, 04:16 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My number one favorite, will probably be on most peoples number one least favorite. ^_^
(1) My Neighbours the Yamadas
(2) Howl's moving castle
(3) Grave of the fireflies
(4) Spirited away
(5) Kiki's delivery service

08.13.2007, 04:11 AM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wo it's EXTREMLY hard to chose just 5. thats very harsh saddletank i feel guilty leaving some out :'( oh and btw i havent seen Tales From Earthsea so idnt know iif i like it or not and i havent watched alot of them in a long time so i might change my list later!

1. Spirited Away
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
4. Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro (if you have the right dub)
5. Porco Rosso

(it took me 15mins to chose - shows how hard it was)

08.13.2007, 10:48 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
mirrorsaw
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by mirrorsaw Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1) Spirited Away - All around the best, even the introduction brings tears to my eyes simply because it's perfect

2) Nausicaa - I for one appreciate the prophetic/messianic life after death ending, cause you didn't expect it, but you know you wanted it. The themes of the story are themes I care about.

3)My neighbor Totoro - I had seen Mononoke in years past, but my first real acknowledgement of Ghibli came when I saw this movie on TV, knew it was good from a friend who had said so, decided to watch and found myself crying to the tree-growing scene - from that point on I became a life-long fan

4) Tales from Earthsea - I love Ged, I love Tehanu, opened me up to a wonderful book series, despite 'flaws' in the film

5) Howl's moving castle - another all around great film, hey, i'm a fan of wizards. Ghibli does them credit.

That being said, EVERY ghibli film is "#2" on my list of all time favorite movies. the only film I think beats them out is Aliens and thats just a personal favorite.

Post last edited by mirrorsaw on 08.13.2007, 04:19 PM.

08.13.2007, 04:16 PM mirrorsaw is offline   Profile for mirrorsaw Add mirrorsaw to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

lol, good to see a little earthsea love, it isnt to bad now that i think of it, eventhough i bashed it in my review. i might have to revise my list.

btw welcome to the fourum

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

08.13.2007, 04:24 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
OnYourMark
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Porco Rosso
3. Whisper of the Heart
4. Ocean Waves
5. Laputa: Castle in the Sky

1. PM - Stunning storyline, superior soundtrack, amazing art. Flawless?
2. PR - Fun and entertaining.
3. WOTH - Inspirational and beautiful.
4. OW - Gripping and interesting.
5. L:CS - Majestic and fantastical.

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

Post last edited by OnYourMark on 08.13.2007, 06:00 PM.

08.13.2007, 05:59 PM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1) Only Yesterday
2) Grave of the Fireflies
3) Princess Mononoke
4) Pom Poko
5) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Why?
Only Yesterday- A gentle, beautiful and very uplifting film that always works for me when I feel low.

Fireflies- By far the most moving war film I've ever seen. It shows the horrors of war without ever being biased to either side. It takes a more humanist angle rather than the bombs, blood and guts which too many war films tend to go for.

3) Princess Mononoke- Miyazaki's best in my opinion. Again a very touching film which finds a great balance between action and plot. The music is the highlight though for me. The introuction just sends shivers down my spine every time.

4) Pom Poko- A bittersweet classic! The characters are both loveable and pathetic in their lifestyle. Takahata makes a subtle but razor sharp parralell with how too many humans act.

5) Nausicaa- Gives the viewer an idea of how it all began. Sure the animation has been overtaken in quality over the years but it still remains a favourite for me. It's message about our harm to the world is worth considering.

08.15.2007, 04:40 PM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

any more votes, or shall I total up?

08.26.2007, 03:41 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Princess Mononoke - A breathtakingly beautiful, completely original, and unforgettable classic.
2. Howl's Moving Castle - First Ghibli I saw, I fell in love with the characters, especially the wonderfully charming and horrendously handsome Howl.
3. Spirited Away - A little bizarre, or perhaps you might say original? I never really kind've ... connected ... with the characters in this one. I quite like Haku but ... not nearly as much as Howl or Ashitaka.
4. Nausicaa - Didn't like it the first time, but with further watching I guess it grew on me. There was an incredibly scary song that they kept playing at random moments in the film so ... that kind've detracted from the film a little.
5. Tales From Earthsea - Haven't actually seen it, but it looks brilliant in the trailer. It's really not fair to give it 5th place because I might really like it when I get the DVD. The odds of me not liking it are pretty slim ... but ... I guess you never know.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 08.29.2007, 12:12 PM.

08.26.2007, 06:28 AM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Why would you put a film you haven't seen at number 3 on your top 5? I would sort of understand if you had put it at the bottom to finish your list, but putting it above films you actually have seen seems a little weird.

I would try to see some more Ghibli films before you make a list like this. That would make the poll more accurate.

08.26.2007, 09:42 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
seriousx9
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.22.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by seriousx9 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

1. Mononoke Hime- my all time favorite

2. Nausicaä- compared to the manga, this one's a joke

3. spirited away- pure awesomeness

4. howl's moving castle- pretty alright in my opinion

5. totoro- a little too childish for my taste

08.27.2007, 01:23 AM seriousx9 is offline   Profile for seriousx9 Add seriousx9 to your buddy list
[  1  2  3  4  5  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks