QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Just watched Future Boy Conan
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Just watched Future Boy Conan » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Just watched Future Boy ConanPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Loved it. Felt like I was a kid again, reading Tintin comics. The same sort of timeless appeal to adventure, bravery, friendship. That mindset of "there is no evil that cannot be defeated by a boy and his friends."

You can recognize all sorts of elements that Miyazaki would later expand on in his films. The post-apocalyptic world in Nausicaa, the male-female lead character dynamic in Laputa, the swashbuckling adventure attitude in Porco Rosso.

It does get a little cartoony at times in a way that might seem strange to fans of Ghibli films (like Conan falling from a rooftop, but managing ti hang onto a ledge by the tips of his toes). But that's mostly a minor concern.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Conan?

Post last edited by Theowne on 07.14.2010, 05:52 PM.

07.14.2010, 05:52 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Conan is great ! (guess from my avatar?)
It's very true that Miyazaki virtues are already in that series, the human depth of the characters, the sense of adventure, human and nature... I love it.

07.14.2010, 09:31 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks