QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Totoro reference in the latest South Park episode
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Totoro reference in the latest South Park episode » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Warawara

Registration Date: 11.29.08
  Totoro reference in the latest South Park episodePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There was a really cool reference to My Neighbor Totoro in Wednesday's episode of South Park. They parodied the scene where Mei meets Totoro for the first time, with Cartman bonding with the monster Cthulhu. They also included a parody song of the Totoro theme, while Cartman was riding Cthulhu. It was so unexpected and I was amazed by how incredibly faithful it was. Every shot and expression was captured. Needless to say, it really made me laugh.

Did anyone else see it?

11.04.2010, 05:43 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I didn't get to see the South Park show, but I searched 'South Park/ Totoro' in Youtube and saw where Cartman was flying with the monster while the Totoro song was playing with Cartman's lyrics. The film was reversed, but that was the only thing wrong with it... Kinda cute, really... lol

There is also a 6-1/2 min tribute to animation called "A Tribute to Traditional Animation" that shows a bit of Spirited Away, Totoro, Laputa and Howl's.

I also found an 8+min tribute of movie ads called "100 Greatest Animated Movies". Among the 100 were 'Castle of Cagliostro'; 'Howl's...'; 'Kiki...'; 'Spirited Away'; 'Nausicaa'; 'Grave of the Fireflies'; 'Laputa...'; 'Totoro'; and 'Princess Mononoke'.

Not a bad showing for Ghibli out of 100, eh?

Just type in the titles in Youtube.

11.04.2010, 06:56 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
emo72
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.04.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by emo72 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yea i saw it. it was excellent. although having cartman playing the part of mei was a bit unneving

they seem to be reproducing loads of movie scenes lately. the previous episode had a parody of the fight scene from "a clockwork orange". all very funny.

11.05.2010, 08:12 AM emo72 is offline   Profile for emo72 Add emo72 to your buddy list
laazd,
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.27.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YES! i totally wasnt expecting it but literally 2 seconds in i could tell
what they were getting at. it was awesome , my favourite show + favourite movie!!! and it was
actually kinda , sorta , in a creepy way .. cute ..

11.08.2010, 04:13 PM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha...
creepy/cute....?

Is that an oxymoron or what???? lol

11.09.2010, 12:56 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
HarryCanyon
Kodama

Registration Date: 10.02.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HarryCanyon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Very funny stuff i gotta say! they did spoofed Akira in one episode, Heavy Metal in one episode (Even though HM was not anime) and they should spoof Ghost in The Shell and Ninja Scroll next.

11.09.2010, 01:22 AM HarryCanyon is offline   Profile for HarryCanyon Add HarryCanyon to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

When did they spoof Akira? Was it recently? Otherwise it's possible I saw the episode but didn't get the reference at the time.

Also, this isn't the first time they've referenced Totoro. There was a thread here a while back about Totoro making a cameo appearance in the Imaginationland episodes.

11.09.2010, 06:50 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
O-Jay88
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
When did they spoof Akira? Was it recently? Otherwise it's possible I saw the episode but didn't get the reference at the time.

They spoofed Akira in the episode "Trapper Keeper", where Cartman merges with a trapper keeper and mutates in the same way as Tetsuo does. There's also a vision of a futuristic city which sort of resembles Neo-Tokyo.

quote:
Also, this isn't the first time they've referenced Totoro. There was a thread here a while back about Totoro making a cameo appearance in the Imaginationland episodes.

Yes, that's right. His cameo was very brief, though. Only visible in the background. The most recent reference was much more in your face.

11.09.2010, 01:37 PM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by O-Jay88
quote:

They spoofed Akira in the episode "Trapper Keeper", where Cartman merges with a trapper keeper and mutates in the same way as Tetsuo does. There's also a vision of a futuristic city which sort of resembles Neo-Tokyo.

I've just looked at a summary of that episode and it sounds kinda familiar. I possibly have seen it.

11.09.2010, 03:58 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
laazd,
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.27.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by laazd, Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
hahaha...
creepy/cute....?

Is that an oxymoron or what???? lol

totally an oxymoron , HAHA !
you have to see it to understand , i can't even explain it.

11.18.2010, 12:18 AM laazd, is offline   Profile for laazd, Add laazd, to your buddy list
miyazki_eternal
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.08.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by miyazki_eternal Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i saw the episode but i didnt catch the reference!

12.13.2010, 04:25 AM miyazki_eternal is offline   Profile for miyazki_eternal Add miyazki_eternal to your buddy list
O-Jay88
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by O-Jay88 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQg-_gmGOIw

Here's a comparison. Didn't realize it was THIS close. The timing is perfect.

02.04.2011, 09:23 AM O-Jay88 is offline   Profile for O-Jay88 Add O-Jay88 to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks