QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Robots at confrontaton
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Robots at confrontaton » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.30.11
  Robots at confrontatonPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ivynwater Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Alright, they are not exacty the same, but how is it then, that creators think of robots belonging to a past generation/population/ancient city etc....have all egg shaped heads, with round eyes and very simple, gigantic, gangling body?

The first is from Laputa

The second is from Batman Arkham City (videogame)

Ivynwater

Post last edited by Ivynwater on 05.07.2012, 03:18 PM.

05.07.2012, 03:17 PM Ivynwater is offline   Profile for Ivynwater Add Ivynwater to your buddy list Homepage of Ivynwater
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

IMHO, probably because of the human shape in general, I would guess...

Humanoid robots have seemed to be a fear of mankind for generations. Look at Asimov's early works for example... "I, Robot" and "Millenium Man" for two of many...

Yes, young grasshoppers, they were book stories long before they were made into movies...

05.07.2012, 04:49 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Calforsale
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I really love the robots in Laputa. They are very cute!

05.07.2012, 09:05 PM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
Ivynwater
Kodama

Registration Date: 12.30.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ivynwater Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
IMHO, probably because of the human shape in general, I would guess...

Humanoid robots have seemed to be a fear of mankind for generations. Look at Asimov's early works for example... "I, Robot" and "Millenium Man" for two of many...

Yes, young grasshoppers, they were book stories long before they were made into movies...

U know, I think it has got more to do with the myth and dream of ancient civilisations far more advanced than ours, where a large amount of power was expressed in very simple forms, less threatening (to go back to your point) and in some way more "in tune" with the law of nature. It reminds me of the Uru (the games) series. All of these worlds end in ashes though, becasue power inevitably corrupts from whithin.

Ivynwater

Post last edited by Ivynwater on 05.08.2012, 01:32 AM.

05.08.2012, 01:32 AM Ivynwater is offline   Profile for Ivynwater Add Ivynwater to your buddy list Homepage of Ivynwater
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks