QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - From Up On Poppy Hill Discussion Thread (spoilers)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » From Up On Poppy Hill Discussion Thread (spoilers) » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Totoro

Registration Date: 01.19.10
  From Up On Poppy Hill Discussion Thread (spoilers)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Calforsale Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is a thread for us to discus Poppy Hill for those that have seen it and for those who don't mind spoilers.

So what did you all think?

I really liked it, it felt to me a bit like Whisper of the Heart. Not as good but it felt a bit similar to me, in a good way. It wasn't one of the best ghiblis but i really enoyed the sweet story, the setting, as well as the beautiful Yokohama bay pictures.

lol i was also thinking for the whole time, why did they reveal the big twist about them being 'related' but yeah i guess it made the real twist bigger.

09.27.2012, 06:54 AM Calforsale is offline   Profile for Calforsale Add Calforsale to your buddy list
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked the animation and music quite much. In the last picture of goro i found the storytelling sequence(screenplay) quite annoying. But its all right in here. Couple of things could be done differently. Such as Olympic in Tokyo was one of the major description of the movie but i do not see anything about it. Building stadium and other things could be shown. Another important aspect of the film is the theme. It was not suppossed to be a teen love film like others. But goro has failed to give something more interesting. Now whisper of the heart is way more imaginitive than this, scenes like mining town in clock or amazing side story about the novel suzuki writing is just unthinkable(for that particular scene we did not even expected it) and also is backed by amazing music. However Poppy hill does not create that feeling to me. And i understood the story within the first 30-40 minutes.

But its way better than any normal animation. The angles of the shot seems like a trademark of goro to me.

Both in Earthsea and Poppy hill i find his camera angles good if not better than miyazaki. Miyazaki and takahata always want to give the first person view of the scene where goro gives much wider angle where background is important.

Undeniebly goro's Poppy hill is good but not upto ghibli mark.

Arriety and cat returns both represenst some absolutely new things such as bird staircase or the understanding of surface tension in liquids in borrowers (i am science student afterall).

So the Film is better than anyother animation film in 2012 and 2011.

But goro must try something completely new to amaze me as a fan.

NB off topic i found out mamuro osshi is a great director too. Ghibli lost a great director. watching his ghost in the shell i instantly understood that "The Matrix" was inspired by this and later found out that The matrix director said so themselves. I think The problem between miyazaki takahata and him was about the use of nudity and subject of the film to be too vulgar. But to me osshi's work is revolutinary which is later admitted by miyazaki himself. Goro does not have the gifted imagination of his father either he will end up doing regular films or he needs to do somethimg revolutionary.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 09.29.2012, 04:29 AM.

09.29.2012, 04:17 AM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's a far improvement from Earthsea, I can tell you that. Storywise, I don't really have any complaints. The pacing, though, could have been better; it felt monotonous, where even the climax was under-emphasized to the point where it was barely noticeable.

Overall though, I definitely enjoyed this more than HMC, and even more than Ponyo. The problem with Goro is his inexperience in storytelling. He needs to inject more drama and emphasis into the important points of the story. For example, when Shun discovered his "relation" with Umi, Goro decided to simply have Shun avoid Umi, while Umi, upon learning the relation, barely showed any emotions. I'm not adverse to having two characters being uncomfortable with each other, but there was hardly any discomfort between them, no mannerisms to speak of.

On that related note, I think Goro is shaping up to be more like Takahata than his father. It's a new direction, and I don't dislike that.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.29.2012, 11:19 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Heidi80
Ohmu

Registration Date: 02.03.11
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw the finnish dub on friday and let me tell you, this was NOT what I had expected. I had expected a sweet high school romance, like Ocean waves or Whisper of the heart, but there was much more depth in Poppy hill. For me, this is the best Ghibli film since Spirited away.
I'm probably one of the only people here who actually kind of liked Earthsea. Yes, the story was confusing and Arren/Lebannen didn't work as the "hero" at all, but Goro Miyazaki did the best he could. Nearly all the big issues with Earthsea have been fixed in Poppy hill. The story is less confusing and the characters are all great. I don't want to tell too much of the story (trust me there are more than enough twists) but it's set in Tokyo in 1963 and the lead pair is students Umi and Shon. Each morning Umi raises her dead father's flag to wish sea travellers a safe journey and Shon answers back from his father's ship. They get more intimate when they try to save the school's old clubhouse from being demolished in preparation to the Tokyo olympics. And then there's twist after twist, but the end is a happy one (which was a big surprise for me, I had expected a sadder ending, like in Arriety).
Of the characters: The one that stood out most for me was Shon. He in fact immediately became one of my favourite Ghibli heroes (along with Ashitaka and Marco/Porco) There's just something very lovable about him. From his first scene, where he and his friends protest the destroying of the club house in a rather unusual fashion, you can see that he's determined and socially aware and knows what he wants. He also has a more soft, poetic, side that comes out more when he's alone with Umi. When their "relation" is revealed, he at first tries to do what he thinks is right but then does what his heart tells him.
Umi is not your traditional Ghibli heroine. She's not exactly passive, but she somehow seems less interesting than many other characters. She gets more interesting during the film, but at the beginning she's just a nice, hard-working girl.Maybe she seems a bit dull because Shon is portrayed so interestingly. The ghibli heroine she reminds the most of is actually not emotional whirlwind Shizuku in Whisper of the heart, as I had expexted, but little Satsuki Kusakabe in My neighbour Totoro, trying to keep the family functioning after a crisis. Umi starts gettin more active when she starts to work on the club house and in the scene where she tells Shon that she loves him, no matter what, she's actually like the Ghibli heroine, taking her life in her own hands.
Of the smaller characters the ones that immediately come to mind are the students in the club house. There are all kinds of interesting and rather bizarre young men running around there. I for some reason especially loved the crazy philosopher, who had his unruly little "room" in the staircase . The scene where the girls and boys decide to tidy up the club house and try to throw away the philosopher's things is hilarous.
I have to give a special comment about the music. It seems that Goro Miyazaki is following his father's footsteps in using the same musician in all his films. With Hayao it's of course his composer Joe Hisaishi, with Goro the singer Aoi Teshima. Teshima's voice is so gentle, amost frail, but strong at the same time. She was perfect when she sang Therru no uta in Earthsea and almost even more perfect when she sings Sayonara no natsu in Poppy hill.

Post last edited by Heidi80 on 10.03.2012, 08:01 AM.

10.03.2012, 07:42 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Looking forward to seeing the movie...

10.03.2012, 11:54 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Earthsea was a story that every animator wishes for

I think goro could not make it because he did not watch enough movies. otherwise this could not be that messed up.

@heidi

Ocean wave is a sweet high school love story. Hmmm....
Gotta see that again to be sure. It felt more like self-biography to me. The theme as i get it is more like telling a story of one's life's events.

However i agree poppy hill has many twist.

Better than anyother film(animation) this year and last year

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

Post last edited by saviour2012 on 10.03.2012, 12:14 PM.

10.03.2012, 12:13 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Heidi80
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Heidi80 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saviour2012
E
@heidi

Ocean wave is a sweet high school love story. Hmmm....
Gotta see that again to be sure. It felt more like self-biography to me. The theme as i get it is more like telling a story of one's life's events.

Can't the same story both be a sweet high school love story and a self-biography? I agree it's the main character's (don't remember his name) coming of age story but it's also a high school romance, since much of his coming of age focuses on the girl from Tokyo.

10.04.2012, 05:23 AM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just another point Goro needs to work on I forgot to mention: his characters need to show more emotion on their faces. More than half the time, its like watching androids moving. You know, eyes unblinking and mouth in a straight line. Unreadable.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.08.2012, 10:31 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Heidi80
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Just another point Goro needs to work on I forgot to mention: his characters need to show more emotion on their faces. More than half the time, its like watching androids moving. You know, eyes unblinking and mouth in a straight line. Unreadable.

I didn't understand this comment at first. But I'm watching Laputa right now and I have to agree that the way the characters show emotion with their face is on a compleatly different level in Hayao's and Isao Takahata's movies

10.10.2012, 12:44 PM Heidi80 is offline   Profile for Heidi80 Add Heidi80 to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay, so I saw it today! I'll post some comments, but there will be spoilers.

I thought overall it was good, with a great sense of nostalgia. The music and visuals were nice, even if I did think the animation seemed a bit below the level of certain other Ghibli productions. I actually enjoyed Earthsea, but this is a very different film and I haven't seen Earthsea for quite some time, so I don't think I could compare the two right now, but this did feel much better-structured. Also, I agree with the earlier comment that it's more reminiscent of Takahata's films, which I'm pleased to see, as the Miyazaki style seems to be the standard usually.

Something that irked me somewhat was the final twist. Though it did allow for quite a nice scene where they meet their fathers' friend, and it was good to know that Umi's father hadn't had an affair, but at the same time it felt like a bit of a cop-out. The initial revelation that they were siblings introduced a dilemma that they would have to resolve, either by burying their feelings or accepting them, but then in the end it turned out there was never a problem after all. It made that whole aspect of the plot seem rather insignificant. Of course, as this is based on a manga, I can't blame the filmmakers for that part, but I did find it quite anticlimactic.

Anyway, I still liked it!

10.17.2012, 05:59 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks