QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Horus, Prince of the Sun - Opening Scene
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Horus, Prince of the Sun - Opening Scene Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.30.06
  Horus, Prince of the Sun - Opening ScenePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just uploaded the opening 2:00 fight scene from Horus, Prince of the Sun to YouTube, and put it up on my blog.

For those who don't know, Horus is the 1968 movie which ushered in the modern anime era. Directed by Isao Takahata; this scene was animated by Yasuo Otsuka and Hayao Miyazaki.

Enjoy! I'll see if I can get away with uploading more of the movie.

Horus - The Opening Scene

07.04.2006, 04:32 AM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
fizzy
Kodama

Registration Date: 05.04.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fizzy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The animation is suprising fluid!. I thought it would have looked more outdated by now. Thanks for uploading!

07.04.2006, 07:38 AM fizzy is offline   Profile for fizzy Add fizzy to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just as it was getting exciting, and I was gonna find out what the big rock monster thing looked like, it finished!! Please upload the next little bit, I want to see what he looks like!! That little boy is pretty tough, or alternatively, the wolves are really rubbish!! The lad reminded me slightly of Astro Boy, not sure why though!!
Good quality upload, thanks for doing it!!

07.04.2006, 08:53 AM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpiritedSen
Just as it was getting exciting, and I was gonna find out what the big rock monster thing looked like, it finished!! Please upload the next little bit, I want to see what he looks like!! That little boy is pretty tough, or alternatively, the wolves are really rubbish!! The lad reminded me slightly of Astro Boy, not sure why though!!
Good quality upload, thanks for doing it!!

I've got the DVD. While it's pretty dated '60s material (the people seem to live in a hippie commune, for example), it's really a very good story.

As you noticed with the Astro-boy resemblance, I got the same feeling myself. The artwork reminds me quite a bit of the late Isamu Tezuka's work. The early formations of Ghibli storytelling, though, do come through in places. Miyazaki's attention to detail also comes out with the water spray. This film used over 150,000 individually drawn frames--unprecedented at the time in Japanese animation. Only Disney routinely did full 24fps animation for its feature-length films.

I can tell you without spoiling anything that the rock monster looks very much like the Rockbiter in Neverending Story.

07.05.2006, 02:29 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Azhur
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.07.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Azhur Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gedo Senki had a similar scene in trailer.. might wanna compare.

07.05.2006, 05:00 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

UPDATE: I've uploaded the entire movie to YouTube. It's available on my blog, split into 10 parts, 8:00 each. It was a real pain to put this all together, so I hope you enjoy it.

On a side note, I'm also adding download fansub links for Lupin III ('71-2), 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (eps 1-7), Future Boy Conan, and Anne of Green Gables. I'll try to add Horus and The Flying Ghost Ship later. Enjoy!

07.05.2006, 07:16 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Thomas
UPDATE: I've uploaded the entire movie to YouTube. It's available on my blog, split into 10 parts, 8:00 each. It was a real pain to put this all together, so I hope you enjoy it.

On a side note, I'm also adding download fansub links for Lupin III ('71-2), 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother (eps 1-7), Future Boy Conan, and Anne of Green Gables. I'll try to add Horus and The Flying Ghost Ship later. Enjoy!

This is a bit off-topic, but...what did you think of the "Flying Ghost Ship"? I've only seen the Russian dub w/ English subtitles, and while I can say that it was decent, I don't think it was as good as any of the other classic Toei Doga films that involved Miyazaki that I've seen. Certain scenes did remind me of later Miyazaki works such as "Farewell, Beloved Lupin", "Future Boy Conan", and even "Laputa", however, and Miyazaki's involvement in idea construction and design, while not as substantial as that in "Puss in Boots" or "Animal Treasure Island", is good enough. I really don't know what else to say, except that while some parts of it were as tacky as a Hanna-Barbera cartoon (for example the soda drink called "Boa Juice" in the Russian dub that causes people to dissolve), for the most part I though the movie was fairly enjoyable and interesting and a good step towards the style of modern Japanese animation.

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

07.05.2006, 07:55 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Daniel Thomas
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Daniel Thomas Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, Flying Ghost Ship was one of those low-budget b-movies Toei started cranking out in the late '60s, and it really represents a point of the studio's real decline. Within a couple years, all the major talent had jumped ship, and Toei never really recovered (despite a couple late-era movies like Taro the Dragon Boy and Puss in Boots 2).

If it weren't for Miyazaki's involvement, and the fact that elements from the movie reappeared in Conan and the Farewell, Lupin episode, I don't think we would bother to waste the time. Also, doesn't the Boa Juice remind Futurama fans of Slurm?

It's cheesy and short, pretty good fodder for MST3K fans. Rooby-Roo!

07.05.2006, 08:09 PM Daniel Thomas is offline   Profile for Daniel Thomas Add Daniel Thomas to your buddy list
SpiritedSen
Totoro

Registration Date: 05.10.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by SpiritedSen Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Thomas

OMG, it was soo cool of you to do that!! I have favourited them all, and will be watching them soon!! YouTube rules sooo hard!! Thanks again!!

Post last edited by SpiritedSen on 07.05.2006, 08:41 PM.

07.05.2006, 08:40 PM SpiritedSen is offline   Profile for SpiritedSen Add SpiritedSen to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks