QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Best non-main charachter in ghibli
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Best non-main charachter in ghibli Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
Best non-main charachter in ghibliPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In loads of the films they'res great lil side people. Like the scarecrow-prince in Howl and Teto in Nausicaa but the best i think has to be (Soz this is more than one) The group of my pirates in Laputa because they're just so funny, though it is a tad weird the way they're all in love with Sheeta when they look like they're 40 and she looks like shes 12..... hmm pervy pirates.... Makes me lov em even more!

10.08.2006, 09:01 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
I-B4-E THUG
Baron

Registration Date: 01.03.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by I-B4-E THUG Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Jiji, cuz hes funny

10.08.2006, 09:05 AM I-B4-E THUG is offline   Profile for I-B4-E THUG Add I-B4-E THUG to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
i really like the chu and Sho totoros.. so cute!!
Also, Teto, Moro, Curtis, jigen and Goemon (although they are Pre-Ghibli!!)

10.08.2006, 10:46 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

would picolo in Porco be a side character or more of a main character? im leaning towards minor but thats just me.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.08.2006, 11:19 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!!
i would say hes minor - definitely!!
The main characters are porco, Gina and maybe Curtis.. (maybe)

10.08.2006, 11:21 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Konan
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.11.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Konan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
The main characters are porco, Gina and maybe Curtis.. (maybe)

Fio, too....(well, she's my favorite ).

“Miyazaki is the greatest living animator… His frames are brilliantly, sunnily ‘lit’, with exhilarating shifting perspectives and cinematic movement, and a drawing style that is as detailed and dense as Brueghel.” — Philip Lopate, Film Comment
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

10.08.2006, 02:56 PM Konan is offline   Profile for Konan Add Konan to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeahi agree fio is great, picolo is really funny, great film altogether, but i think fio may count more of a main character than a minor character.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

10.08.2006, 03:03 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Fio is quite a "main" minor character if you get my meaning, but one of the stronger ones. Gina too is a very interesting character - you could write a whole book about Gina.

A couple of minor Mononoke characters:

Toki is an interesting character, a very strong willed woman, resourceful yet loving.

Jiko Bou has me puzzled. Clever, wily and able to decieve, he's patently an 'evil' character all through the story but at the end he seems to finally understand what he has done wrong and gives up the head of the god to Ashitaka. I think even this out and out bad guy learns something from his experience. I love his bartering scene at the beginning with the rice and the gold nugget.

From Whisper of the Heart I really like Sugimura the typical boy who doesn't talk 'girl code' and misses the cues about who is in love with who. His emotions really go through the wringer but he gets his girl in the end, bless 'im.

Mr Nishi is wonderful but is too "main" a character really as he working behind the scenes to bring the two young people together.

But my favourite is Kaonashi from Spirited Away. I just love the way he's like an innocent child, lonely at first then just copying others or doing whatever seems to make others happy without thinking of the consequences. I'd like to know more about his backstory.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 10.08.2006, 04:32 PM.

10.08.2006, 03:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Freyarule
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Freyarule Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Jiji and Calcifer, and Piccolo makes me laugh XD Teto is awesome and...well...I love them all!!!!!

1st sig made my mpw3d! Yayness!

2nd sig made by Snakebite! Whootness!

3rd sig made by #1sanfan! Squeeness!

4th and 5th sig and text below made by moi

10.08.2006, 03:49 PM Freyarule is offline   Profile for Freyarule Add Freyarule to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

cant believe i forgot about calcifer, he was right cool, adn teto was awesome indeed, sorry for spamming,

Click for Gallery^^

10.08.2006, 04:02 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

#1sanfan, you changed your avatar. Now I've got to work out who you are all over again

Piccolo - yes, a very funny guy - he has some of the best lines in the film. I love the scene where they are test running the new engine and the whole shed is flying apart and Piccolo says "Well, wait until you see it running at full power!"

Also the whole thing with counting the money and he even takes Porco's last roll of banknotes (his food and vino fund), very dry.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

10.08.2006, 04:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

oops, sorry, werll, im the guy wth 6 sigs, that kinda roate around, trust me you'll figure it out, i do get where your coming from, i tend to think people look like there avatar, kinda wierd butim sure most of you out there tjhink the same thing.

Click for Gallery^^

10.08.2006, 04:37 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Picolo(how do you spell it?) is real funny!
I like Natori in The Cat Returns! He's so funny!
And, #1sanfan, I like your avatar!

10.08.2006, 05:29 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

thanks, its pretty cool, its from stellvia, im not srue if youve seen it, if oyu have is it any good? i did a sig of it to.

Click for Gallery^^

10.08.2006, 05:31 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't look like my avatar, but if I had a Shizuku one
I would look just like her.

10.08.2006, 05:31 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hmm, no, looks cool though. I watch any anime I
find, there's one anime I wanna watch called
Read or Die, sounds my type just by the title.

10.08.2006, 05:34 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Pendragon
Calcifer

Registration Date: 06.12.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Pendragon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Calcifer and No Face

Howl avatar made by ushitora Thanks!

10.08.2006, 10:50 PM Pendragon is offline   Profile for Pendragon Add Pendragon to your buddy list
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Teto, Jigen Daisuke (Does he count as Ghibli character?), Calcifer, and Kanta. Oh, and Sono's husband from Kiki because even though he never says a word, he is still such a well formed character. And the robot from Laputa.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

10.09.2006, 02:15 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

YO!!
Snafan, I think that too!!
I always think people look their avatr.. (that would mean that I look like a baby ohmu.. )

10.09.2006, 03:33 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
furs
Totoro

Registration Date: 09.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by furs Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Fio is quite a "main" minor character if you get my meaning, but one of the stronger ones. Gina too is a very interesting character - you could write a whole book about Gina.

Not that there are rules, but Fio and Gina seems counted as one of the main characters, not counted as non-main. If they're counted, it's like saying - same goes to San (as Ashitaka clearly have the lead role).

Anyway, Here's my answer:

NEKOBUS

I don't think I have to explain, as everyone will agree with me - Nekobus is like one of the coolest supporting character around. Besides, you lots already mentioned the rest of the nice ones.

10.09.2006, 04:50 AM furs is offline   Profile for furs Add furs to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks