QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Finished. All of it. One day. Brilliant.

I saw it non-chronoligical and really liked it that way because the main storyline "melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Eps 1-6" are in order, but just inter-spiced with chronologically later episodes that have less of a narrative meaning but serve to lighten things up.
I liked all the characters.

However I'm not sure if when I eventually see it again, if I will watch it chronologically that time. It would seem like one labelled the episodes into two styles and instead of viewing them more or less alternatively, as i did now, one views allof one type first and then all of the next... it would be weird.
Although... the actualy last episode is a really nice one and would make a nice last ep. Though...not as nice as the "real" last episode actually. That was very nice.

I was a little confused as Saddles, when he gives both orders, labels "00" as an episode making the total 15, which is wrong. One episode is called "00", the one with their culture festival movie, but it's actually episode 11 or so. I was always thinking I missed an epsiode.

Anyways. I really liked it a lot. I now wish I was fluent inJapanese so that I could read the books and play the 2 games that are out.

03.06.2008, 06:41 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ha, ha, I'm pleased you enjoyed it. Yes, watching it the second time, out of sequence again I picked up on things I'd missed before or which I did see but which I didn't fully get.

Spoiler!, highlight to read.

In the baseball game Haruhi is dressing up poor Mikuru in the cheerleader outfit and she gathers her hair up into a ponytail, then glances at Kyon, gives him a strange look and drops the ponytail again. Second time round you understand exactly why she does that, and what it means. It's one of those details that only works so nicely if you see it out of sequence.

The same is true of the scene in the cave on the island when they are wringing out their soaking clothes. At the beginning of the story Kyon makes the point that Haruhi is quite at ease stripping off in front of boys "she seems to view them on the same level as potatoes" is the line, its a classic.

But in the cave we see her take off her shirt out of sight of Kyon then reach to undo her bra. She pauses, thinks about something then leaves it on...

Why? Why is she acting differently to before? Its great how those little touches come alive even more second time of viewing.

And its also lovely to watch, the art style, the colours it all works a treat. Kyon is fantastic too. He is voiced by the same person who did Myanma in Honey & Clover IIRC but sounds a lot different here.

I got to use the spoiler tag first! Woot!

Hm, yes, I don't know what I was thinking when I put the 00 episode number in there as well as 01. My bad.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.06.2008, 07:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favourite episode, in terms of which I just laughed at most, might actually be 00.
I loved all the film mistakes and the cheap effects in there. It was absolutely brilliant, as was the really confused narrator.
And it will probably be funnier when I watch it the second time, as I will not spend half the time thinking "Is this the series (thoughI don't mind)", but know its just a fake movie.
I really loved that ep.

03.06.2008, 07:59 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah that episode was funny but made me hesitant about the rest of the series coz i ddint want to get into something i was going to be irritated with, having no idea what was going on and desperately trying to cling to a plot.. but by the second/thrid episode everything has already fallen into place pretty well and while it isnt chronological it is well established and gives the rest of the randomness some kind of base for you to understand it from to just the right degree.
on another note, my sentences are far to long...

03.07.2008, 12:37 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

I'm bored so I'm planning to watch some more anime.
Something light and feel-good like Haruhi or AzuDai.
I was planning to watch Ouran HSHC again, as I found it really funny and charming, but I thought that someone might come up with something new and possibly even BETTER for me to watch.
Anyways. I#m open to suggesstions, if not I'll restart OHSHC tomorrow.
Ok, I've done that now. Couldn't find the english sub anywhere so I'm wtching it in spanish...

Post last edited by Loscil on 03.08.2008, 11:11 AM.

03.07.2008, 08:55 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hahaha, was up late last night working my way through the series... now I've just finished 'Romote Island...1' and looking for the rest. I know where it is, just have to go back there. I am viewing an English version as I don't think that I could keep up with the subtitles for Haruhi alone. Man, she talks fast when her fuse is lit!

I'm enjoying the film (s) and sympathizing with Kyon, poor guy....

EDIT: finished the lawns AND the films... now what??? lol

Post last edited by husky51 on 03.29.2008, 06:40 PM.

03.29.2008, 01:29 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Baka-Tsuki translated the novels. I suggest that.

The novels are quite different from the anime or the manga (which is adapted from the anime anyway, meh). It's much deeper, covers more ground, better explanations, more suspense and more involvement (though in some parts, less funny, on the flipside).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.30.2008, 11:37 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Iseult
Kodama

Registration Date: 04.30.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Iseult Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lol, I saw a few eps of this on Youtube a while ago and watching it made me think 'WTF?" Lol but that might have been because I didn't see the first episode to fill me in
But overall, very funny

05.02.2008, 06:31 AM Iseult is offline   Profile for Iseult Add Iseult to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i didnt like it, mikeru turned me off it, shes too annoying and fanservicy.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

05.02.2008, 06:52 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

She's no more fanservicy than many other anime females. In fact she's 'annoying' for a reason, she's supposed to be a bit doppy, its a plot-thing. And the 'fanservice' in fact comes from Haruhi - it's her who puts Mikuru through all the trauma. And she's like that for a reason too.

I think this is one of those series that is clever in that the director and artists used 'fanservice' as part of the plot thus actually its no longer fanservce, since it has a point.

But either way, its definitely a series aimed at males. Having said that my favourite character is Kyon, he's just so cool and deadpan, nothing fazes him, not even imminent death at the hands of knife-wielding schoolgirls turned aliens.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.02.2008, 07:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Technically, Mikuru being that way was only so that Haruhi would have a reson to "notice" her and so force her to join the club.

I did say technically.

Besides, in the novels, Mikuru's moe factor seldom gets a mention. But then the novel covers the stories with so much more depth and randomness. It's on a completely different level from the anime.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.02.2008, 10:05 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
BubblegumGuru
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 07.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by BubblegumGuru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aaagh I love Haruhi. I want a Haruhi Figma. You know, those super-posable figures with interchangable hands and whatnot that Max Factory made...Wow I sound nerdy right now.

I've been wanting to read the novels, and I found a site that has them translated...I read the first chapter of the first novel and by the end my eyes were hurting so bad. I don't do well with reading for long periods of time on a computer screen. I wish the novels would get translated and released in the U.S., but it doesn't seem likely.

07.11.2008, 09:03 PM BubblegumGuru is offline   Profile for BubblegumGuru Add BubblegumGuru to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love that show! I watched it in a weekend, not counting the firs that I watched awhile before I really watched the series. Haha, yay!

07.12.2008, 07:46 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by BubblegumGuru I've been wanting to read the novels, and I found a site that has them translated...I read the first chapter of the first novel and by the end my eyes were hurting so bad. I don't do well with reading for long periods of time on a computer screen. I wish the novels would get translated and released in the U.S., but it doesn't seem likely.

And that's why, people, experts tells us to sit at least half a metre away from the computer screen, and rest our eyes after every 45 minutes.

It's possible that the novels will be translated by Viz since it's a popular series and all, but novels take a MUCH longer time to translate. Even Viz take about a year to tanslate a full novel, compared to two months for a manga.

Either way, the only English novel of Haruhi you can read now is from Baka-Tsuki anyhow, so meh. But seriously, I highly recommend the novels over the anime if you like a good storyline. The novels do not focus as much on the humour, but rather on the actual events that happen to the brigade.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.13.2008, 03:22 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I shall have to find some way to read that then! That sounds interesting, yay!

07.13.2008, 04:44 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Regardless of the plot, I think its ridiculousness wins it points. Its my favourite series to kill off a weekend with if nothing is happening, cause I dont have to get into it to enjoy it. Music ep is probably still my favourite ep of all anime ive ever seen. Great all around. I wish I wasnt working so much so I could watch more, cause I miss my hobby.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.13.2008, 06:33 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yaay. Just started it. After seeing the first episode i was convinced that Haruhi was absoultely insane... but after seeing a few more episodes, I guess that she just has a very......unique way of seeing the world. And she'll do anything to get what she wants even if it means using other people. Like Mikuru.

09.20.2008, 12:11 PM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Watch more!! Watch more. Excitingness shall soon happen.

09.20.2008, 06:05 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
animekittynya
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.11.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by animekittynya Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki
Watch more!! Watch more. Excitingness shall soon happen.

Ehh, really? So ka.... When I have the time I really should sit down and watch all of it.... or i could buy that nice big boxed set i saw at Best Buy the other day when I can save up enough money. Is it good enough to spend the money on the boxed set? The few episodes i saw were quite... interesting, and it caught my attention.(Haruhi is quite, um, different from the usual female leads you see in most anime.) I'll have to watch it when I can find the time, one way or another.
On another note, since I havent seen but a few episodes, does it deserve the 'PG-13' rating that's on the box? Just wondering.

09.21.2008, 12:07 AM animekittynya is offline   Profile for animekittynya Add animekittynya to your buddy list Homepage of animekittynya
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Yes, it rather does deserve PG-13, but only because of Haruhi antics...

Yeah. The anime has rather a bit of an interesting plot to it, one that I'm not telling you yet, but rather comes as a surprise. Yay! And then it becomes all the more awesome.

09.21.2008, 02:11 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks