QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Sky Blue
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Sky Blue » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.25.06
  Sky BluePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by grace Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watched this last night.... I really enjoyed the animation and the feel of it, but the end looked a bit chopped off....so it left you feeling a bit flat.....

11.14.2006, 04:20 AM grace is offline   Profile for grace Add grace to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO
neva heard of it in me life!

11.14.2006, 09:45 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
throughglassdarkly
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by throughglassdarkly Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The film's original title was Wonderful Days, in case you've heard of it; it was changed to 'Sky Blue' for US release (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderful_Days).

The film was beautifully, breathtakingly animated, took seven years to make (c.f. Steamboy - I'm beginning to think that the longer and more ambitious and the more they focus on the visuals, the more the plot goes down the toilet), plot was wafer-thin, if at all present. I mean, FFS, they got the name for ECOBAN from ECOLOGY and URBAN. Dumbest portmanteau ever. And then they just had to shoehorn in that stupid love triangle, didn't they (How can it be a korean movie without a LOVE TRIANGLE!?!1`1).

Still. Watch it without subtitles for the pretty and your brain won't ASPLODE from the convolution and self-important mumbo-jumbo.

11.14.2006, 12:24 PM throughglassdarkly is offline   Profile for throughglassdarkly Add throughglassdarkly to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The english, I have a few flaws with the english trailor..
Their mouthing is really horrible. It's just that.
That's what I look for in english dubs, and many are terrible
except for FMA, that's the only english version of a show that
I don't like the japanese or other voices..
The animation is cool, though, but it also lacks of
certain things.
I never watched it, just the trailer, and, yes, I critisize
every thing severely..

11.14.2006, 05:29 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love this movie. True, as everyone says there IS no plot (or it's so thin you'd have to double it up like toilet paper to wipe your arse with it), but to look at it is THE most gorgeous anime I've ever seen.

I think, for example, it blows away Metropolis easily in the looks department.

There is some real style in some of the shots, such as the RPG fired from the truck cab direct toward the camera, that's simply a superb image.

Every shot, from the opening sequence of the bike rushing through the pouring rain to the final scene of the sun breaking through and lighting up the Diggers in their shipyard-city every image is just perfect.

The only other anime I think is on the same level for sheer beauty is Place Promised (and that has a stonking plot and great character development into the bargain, so it wins this round).

Sky Blue's music is superb too. No story to speak of but you should get to see it, you won't forget it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.17.2006, 08:31 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
THis is a CG movie rite?
like final fantasy rite?

11.18.2006, 05:39 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No, not CG like FF is CG. it's more traditional anime and the CG is in some sequences and many backgrounds and models (e.g. vehicles) but all the characters are traditional 2D anime style.

It combines traditional 2D anime, 3D CGI and a lot of miniature model work, there is even some live action in a couple of detail scenes. It's not anime in the true sense in that there are no (or very few) anime/manga conventions - the people have proper sized eyes for example and there are few fixed art backgrounds, much of the time the camera moves and pans against the 3D style background. The kind of thing Otomo tried to do with Cannon Fodder, only much much better.

It's sci-fi set in a post apocalpse world, you know the usual stuff - the Haves versus the Have Nots. There are no aliens or wierd people with funny powers, just power crazed guys in a couple of places. It's a stand alone story, not linked to any other movie, manga or TV show that I'm aware of although TBH I've not looked into that.

Some screens:

Don't be put off by the soft focus or blur, that's in the movie and there is a lot ofmotion blur used as well as depth of field soft focus, when you see something crisp in the movie it really stands out. The production values are pretty high and skipping thru it again to get these screenies I was reminded again how damn good the music is.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.18.2006, 10:21 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm not all that keen on the character design in the pictures, but a lot of the backgrounds - and the picture with the two people pointing guns at each other - do look very nice.

11.18.2006, 11:32 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

YO!
does the woman have a beard?

11.18.2006, 01:20 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No, its some sort of make up or tattoo I think. Shes a kind of police or security officer and this red mark is continued down the front of her uniform. Odd but strangely attractive.

For the geeky pervy teen boy brigade we get to see her in a black skin tight catsuit thing as well - duh, how often do we see that in anime?

I quite like the character design, Kay the main female lead is really cute in an angry, sulky, don't-piss-me-off-or-I'll-kill-you sort of way and the main male lead Shua - well... if I was gay I could fall for him easy

I get the feeling that Kay's red eyes are stolen from Rei (of EVA) - Kay's about as friendly as well.

Unfortunately the characters are paper thin, you never get to see under their skin to find out their motivations or anything, why they are doing what they do etc.

The English dub was a 2005 release and I don't think it was a huge success so you should be able to pick it up cheap.

11.18.2006, 02:51 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Actually, I find that anime is usually cheaper if it is successful, because more people buy it and they know it's popular.

11.18.2006, 04:04 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

YO!
yeah that can be true..
however if its too unsuccesful, itmmight eve be dvd released, and then it gets really expensive

11.18.2006, 04:25 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well than, my theory for Ghibli films is wrong.
NO ONE BUYS THEM HERE!! there 40$ bucks,
and there left for me, NEVER on sale.
When I buy anime the clerk ALWAYS smiles at me,
and begins to talk about it. My mom never gets that.
It's as if there just waiting for me to come, as
if I'm the one who can buy any film ever!
It scares me, and they never due it to any one else!

11.18.2006, 09:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks