QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Neon Genesis Evangelion » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Neon Genesis EvangelionPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kinda to go witht the rei ayanami topic, i watched the first 8 eps and this is one of the best series ive seen, its fresh, funny adn action packed, a definite recommend, if anyone has the time, chekc out the series, its all on google video, just search for neon genesis evangeilon ep x, where x is whatever episode you want ot see, great show.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.01.2006, 08:12 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My mom gets that one and Naruto
mixed up in Ghibli films. Like
every time she's looking for ghiblies, she always
asks me if I these ones are animes I
would like.
Sure, but this may take a few months to watch
unless I buy it.

12.02.2006, 12:09 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

4 new Eva movies are in production by the original staff too!

12.02.2006, 12:52 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

o rly? interesting...very interesting.. i saw the 2 eva movies and series..eh it was ok...

12.02.2006, 01:17 AM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, I might describe it as a little better than ok, but not too much. But I'm still for some reason pretty eager to see these new movies.

12.02.2006, 01:41 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

#1sanfan, if you've only watched the first 8 eps so far then get ready for some major changes ahead, at about ep 13 onwards the whole thing becomes VERY different and much much more interesting

Really, its like 2 stories bolted together and ep 13 is the join.

There are some classic lines in that series...

When Asuka slaps Shinji and Koji on the aircraft carrier:
"What did you do that for?"
"That's the viewing fee. Quite a bargain don't you think?"

and the two navy officers:

"Shit! Those kids are gonna save the earth?"
"Times are changing."

great stuff, Eva is very high on my list of best anime ever. Seeing new movies made by the original team would be very interesting, I hope Anno has come out of his shell a little and the result will be more positive.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.02.2006, 06:22 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nice, i thought it was interesting to begin with now its better, whoohoo! and that there are two new movies coming those should be good to, i know i was probably jumping the gun by sayin it was really good after only 8 episodes, but its hard to screw somethign up after a fairly substantial timelength like 8 eps.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.02.2006, 12:32 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found this on a american channel,
adult swim, I think cartoon network,
on really late at night, along with my
usual three animes and some others
I've been meaning to check out.
But first, gotta finish Negima.
Samurai Champloo is on that network,
too. I was actually excited when I found
it, but I used to have cartoon network
on the canadien satelite a couple years
ago.

12.02.2006, 12:44 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

damn fff you are so random sometimes, why can't you post in the right bloody threads? Its beginning to piss me off.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

12.02.2006, 03:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
nice, i thought it was interesting to begin with now its better, whoohoo! and that there are two new movies coming those should be good to, i know i was probably jumping the gun by sayin it was really good after only 8 episodes, but its hard to screw somethign up after a fairly substantial timelength like 8 eps.

I loved the start of EVA, its completely focussed on a teen boy fantasy: a 14 year old comes to the Big City, gets picked up by a gorgeous babe who drives a fast car; then he finds he's here to pilot a huge robot and kick alien butt; then (even better) he finds he's living in the apartment with the gorgeous babe who is his boss but she drinks beer, eats junk food and wanders about the apartment not wearing much... and you think: heh, this is pretty normal anime teen boy fodder. But then... then some odd things begin to surface like Rei for example and then the hero of the story is clearly a bit strange and has real problems with his shyness and about 5 episodes in you begin to think... hmmm... this isn't all it seems to be. Then later on it just becomes very different and very strange indeed. I love this series and if more movies that are faithful to the original are being made, that can only be good.

12.02.2006, 03:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

aye, im right with you if they keep the integrity of the series intact with great newmovies, i sat and wasted today watching the rest of the series, i still got the original movies left and am getting to those ASAP, the one i do want to see is some character growth, there is characterhange but not really development in personalties and relationships, the series followed the same emotions of each character:
Rei: shy and secluded with a mysterious story, and very much like how asuka puts her in calling here a doll
Shinji: middle charcter, inbetween asuka and rei, but starts to lean more towards rei
Asuka: starts of very energetic and completley disintegrates at the end of ep 24
i am very egar to see the films and see if they change any of these.

Click for Gallery^^

12.02.2006, 07:05 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan Rei: shy and secluded with a mysterious story, and very much like how asuka puts her in calling here a doll
Shinji: middle charcter, inbetween asuka and rei, but starts to lean more towards rei
Asuka: starts of very energetic and completley disintegrates at the end of ep 24
i am very egar to see the films and see if they change any of these.

Thats good. You have seen the differences. At the end you'll see the similarities.

Remember this series was written by a guy who had just come out of four years of complete depression. I'm not sure all the details are known but I'm pretty sure that depression was caused by him being rejected by a woman, maybe more than one woman.

Anno gives a credit during one of the end movies in which he thanks all the five women who made this series possible. I guess one is his mother - the other four are probably people he had relationships with, and almost certainly one or more of them wasn't successful.

WARNING - SPOILERS AHEAD - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

This series (after ep 13) is all about that. All the characters (at least all the main ones) are really just different takes on how a person faces and manages depression and tries to move on.

The characters don't develop, they are representations of everyone (you, me, the guy at the bus stop - all of us) and how differently we deal with broken relationships and rejection.

You can see this in eps 25 and 26 where the plot is completely dumped and the whole episodes are just about theme (i.e. how humans do (or don't) communicate). I find it fascinating, but try not to let it depress you

Post last edited by Saddletank on 12.02.2006, 08:13 PM.

12.02.2006, 08:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

just finished eps 25 and 26, they were almost a waste of time, it didnt advance anyhting but i did like the fictional universe at the end of ep 26 when everyone is just normal people, the guy who wrote the series is a genius at capturing human emotion, minus the ability to change and think, these are huinted in the last 2 eps, when shinji is analyzing himslef as well as all the characters. im even more pumped ot see the new movies because the story is very engaging, and doesnt have a typical series-being-over-withdrawal, im keeping my fingers crossed on the new movies.

Click for Gallery^^

12.02.2006, 08:15 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Remember this series was written by a guy who had just come out of four years of complete depression.

That's putting it VERY lightly. He attempted suicides (not suicudal thoughts, REAL attempts), for your info.

Hell, a lot of people said Eva was twisted because Ando was.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.03.2006, 09:51 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

i did get some information on the 4 new movies so here is the basic rundoen on whats happening:
the first 3 films are the original series but it has been remastered with new footage added in as well as new backgrounds on some shots.
the fourth film is a new ending to the series, which is what im pumped about, i cant really say that eva was twisted because i can relate to the charachters, im interested to see Anno's take on his series after his head has cleared.

Click for Gallery^^

12.03.2006, 01:10 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i did hear that had many suicide attempts and was unstable

12.03.2006, 10:43 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The fact that he was able to come out of those 4 years and make a series of this complexity and beauty shows there is healing going on - even if making the series was just an equivalent of 'talking to a psychiatrist' kind of level. Certainly I would feel healing if I got that out of my system.

12.04.2006, 04:50 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

absolutley, anno really tore out his depression and conveys it perfectly. art imitates life, and i believe that anime may be one of the top means of conveying emotions for that reason.

Click for Gallery^^

12.04.2006, 06:43 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I do pity people who just don't 'get' EVA, I wish people would read up more on what they are watching on that little square box in the corner. The insane outcry in 1996 when eps 25 and 26 were aired only showed that people weren't really watching the show, and getting the content. Of course the plot was totally abandoned at the end, but instead of daubing death threats on Gainax's doors why didn't people look at the episodes and think about what they'd seen, and why it was like that?

If I were Anno and got death threats after eps 25 and 26 I'd probably go back into my shell.

Hmmm... just thought, its 10 years old this year. Happy birthday EVA!

12.04.2006, 09:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's not that they don't "get" EVA. They complained that it was not a "proper" ending- and in a sense, they were right. Offiicially, GAINAX was trying to end the series quickly, somewhere along the line of budget shortage or manpower or deadline or some other typical media reason.

So contrary to what you think, the ending IS improper. And the outcry were made by diehard fans, who understand the series so much more than you or I.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 12.05.2006, 10:53 AM.

12.05.2006, 10:52 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks