QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Saikano
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Saikano » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  SaikanoPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I think i should start a new thread on this one

ive seen the first 6 episodes, adn it si the saddest anime ive ever seen( keep in mind i havent seen Grave of the fireflies yet, im getting to that one dont worry)

but it is amazing after seeign this and evangelion, and im sure there are more out there, but he psycological and archetypal tragedies being produced through anime.

Im sure ill get some good feed back on this fdorm people who know what theya re talking about, like saddletank and roarkiller.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.26.2007, 03:31 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've not seen it yet but you are the second person to say its good (and sad), so its on my list to get.

I love a good sad story

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.26.2007, 05:05 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

oh it will break your heart after 6 episodes, im interested to see what is in the other 7.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.26.2007, 06:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Everyones talking about this anime! I should really watch, I will do soon.

01.27.2007, 05:47 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, yes, this sounds quite interesting, not many sad
animes I've found. COOL!!

01.27.2007, 07:33 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, only after six? I wonder if your heart can take the last three.

I'll put it this way. Not a lot of anime, or movies for that matter, can evoke strong feelings for me. The rare exceptions are what makes e give them top marks, like Whale Rider (Paikea's speech).

Saikano was one of them. Hell, apart from GOTF and Ai Yori Aoshi, I can't remember any other anime that made me shed even a tear. And get this: Saikano evoked the strongest, saddest feeling for ANY anime I have EVER watched.

So that means something yo.

After at least two people ave watched the ending, I'll comment on that "one second" in the last episode that tore my heart to shreds and threw the dust into the wind.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.27.2007, 11:22 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If I create an anime, I'll make it sadder then Grave or Saikano..my ideas is I like to write sad stuff without happy
endings..

01.27.2007, 11:24 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uh, sorry FFF, but the degree of the sadness of the story isn't the issue. There's more than that, unfortunately.

For one, there's the directing. Good timing, good mood buildup. And of course, good directing. Saikano had several superb scenes with excellent directing.

And then there's the acting, or for anime, voice acting. Since anime cannot use real body language/facial expressions, the voice actors have to be VERY realistic in the acting to be able to bring across the emotions/messages. And this, unfortunately, is why most anime, no matter how good, can barely shift my mood.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.27.2007, 11:34 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

*sweat drop*aheheheh, I was kidding, dude..
I know how to make anime and stuff but its not
like I'll ever. At least, none of you will ever know..*gazes
aroung clutching Totoro*..*cough*Nothing~!

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.27.2007, 11:37 AM.

01.27.2007, 11:36 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i agree roar, like its a piece of art, and it stands beside NGE as my favourites of all-time. and it does alot of things ell, and i only have one gripe that many people can ignore, remember this is only after 6, after the last 7 ill add on to this

good: the romance is heart-breakly real, it hits the right chords to make a person feel like the characters are feeling, and ive almost cried to this one after 6, so its hitting chords.

to follow what you said it is very well directed, it doesnt have any plot hole, does a great job of foreshadowing and using imagry, also the mecha twist, which is integral, is an intersting take on something of this magnitude on the human emotions.

voice acting was well done, im watchign a fansub, bt the original voice sound like they fit well, and still create the atmosphere for the rest of the show. im sure the englsih dub would be butchered, stay away!

My only bad thing is this: now i dont care abotu this, but it can be hard ot get into due to the hardcoreness of its themes, it can overwhelm the unsuspectiig anime fan, also if someone wanted more battle scenes there are very very few in to 6 ive watched so, i think there will be a little bit more int he end 7. it can also play a trick, that if you were looking for a action, it will disappoint, because it walks a fine line between romance and action magnificantly, it is still a perfect anime and im only half way thorough, when that happens you can tell it is really great.

Click for Gallery^^

01.27.2007, 12:00 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On the strength of your two recommendations I ordered the boxed set from Amazon today. And a jumbo sized carton of Kleenex. I'll reportback when I've watched it. If I haven't slit my wrists that is.

Hell, if an anime can move Roarkiller to tears then it must be emotional.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.27.2007, 04:05 PM.

01.27.2007, 04:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

darn right it is, i have to wait till i can see the second half of part of ep 9 cause its not on youtube and i would hate to miss a second, but after seeing a few more episodes, wow, my review holds major turth.

Click for Gallery^^

01.27.2007, 04:07 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

#1sanfan, yeah, thanx, I appreciate your reviews. I think your likes and mine in anime are fairly similar, so please keep posting about new things you find that you enjoy.

01.27.2007, 04:54 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Well if any of you are interested in artistic animation, look for a certain music video entitled "Tsuki no Waltz" (Waltz of the Moon), sung by Isayama Mio. It's in YouTube as well by the way, and the directing is simply superb. Not forgetting, of course, the hauntingly pleasant song.

It's got it's fair share of rave reviews by fans online, and I myself admit that this is one music video I'd gladly vote for "Best AMV award" if there ever was one officially.

And oh, this ain't no fan AMV. It's the real deal, official music video for the song. Animated by Ishizuka Atsuko, dunno who that is.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

01.28.2007, 12:02 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

finally finished all 13 episodes, and it is the best anime i have ever seen, it is indescribable, i dont ever want to watch it again though.

Wow... thats the only way to put it.

Click for Gallery^^

01.29.2007, 03:22 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Just watched first episode i was....suprised to say the least. at first its this normal girly school romance comedy and then suddenly she turns into a robot?!?! I shall hav to watch soem more..

01.29.2007, 05:09 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

ready a box of kleenex with that, you will cry, almost for sure, i have a heart of stone and i almost broke down.

Click for Gallery^^

01.29.2007, 05:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Nausicaa_Cat
Just watched first episode i was....suprised to say the least. at first its this normal girly school romance comedy and then suddenly she turns into a robot?!?! I shall hav to watch soem more..

Technically, she's a cyborg. Actually, a weapon. Biological weapon.

Must be Saddam's idea, then. ¬_¬

Anyway, ignore the fact that's she a cyborg or whatever. Just imagine it this way: imagine one day finding out that your girlfriend was, well, different.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

02.02.2007, 05:18 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
just saw the ifrst episode..
must say, it really reminds me of shinkais work.
First of all, the artwork is similar, especially the way they have these line thingies on their cheeks...
+ the narration and the feel is Very Makoto Shinkai.
It really reminds me of places.

However, the way she is a weapon, reminds me of Elfenlied..
(which was also really sad at the end).

02.02.2007, 09:15 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!

episode 2 isnt on youtube..
Where did you see the series SanFan?
anyone got a link?

02.03.2007, 02:10 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks