QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Serial Experiments Lain
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Serial Experiments Lain » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Serial Experiments LainPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I felt that I should make a thread for this. It is very good. It's quite bizarre, and pretty creepy now and again.

This person on YouTube has all episodes uploaded:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=syeroku
(episode 1 is somewhere around the middle for some reason)

01.27.2007, 04:23 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Again, this is yet another anime series I have ordered on DVD recently from Amazon. Sorry but I just like to support the makers of anime and buy their work rather than suport the leech pirates on YouTube and other torrent type places.

But another series recommended by several people on the Tavern here so just a word of thanks to you all who post here saying what you enjoy, I appreciate you guys a lot.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

01.27.2007, 04:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i paln on buying them, i want to get the rebuild of evangelion,l ill probably get a hard copy of saikano and others, i just dont have any money and i want to see these, ive heard this one was good ot, ill probably check it out, after some lighter anime.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.27.2007, 04:55 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Know what you mean, but unless it's Ghibli, I just don't do light anime. I like darkness, pain, lost loves, angst, girl/boy misunderstandings and lost opportunities and tears. It just fills me with something I need.

One day I'll look back on this period in my life and understand it, but right now I don't.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 01.27.2007, 05:13 PM.

01.27.2007, 05:03 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
I like darkness, pain, lost loves, angst, girl/boy misunderstandings and post opportunities and tears.

you better put saikano on rush, cause it is all that and more.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

01.27.2007, 05:08 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Again, this is yet another anime series I have ordered on DVD recently from Amazon. Sorry but I just like to support the makers of anime and buy their work rather than suport the leech pirates on YouTube and other torrent type places.

I know what you mean. I prefer to buy things too, but sometimes it's not very easy. And when I'm not sure what to expect, I usually watch the first few episodes on YouTube or Google Video before buying it. "Try before you buy" as I like to say.

01.28.2007, 07:19 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Uh-huh. I can't afford to buy most anime.
So, I go on You Tube. But I'm going to but
Fruits Basket, Gankutsuou, and Negima probably
at the next trip to HMV or Future Shop(hm, FS has
Lupin in it and many more. That's a good place
to start and HMV gets quite a selection.)
Plus, my dad might put restrictions off eBay for
me cause he knows that's all I'll ask for. Then some
don't work(ex:my FMA DVD's)and get scratched.*chibi
nodds saddly*
But wait. I have an excuse. I'm only a kid..*curls up
in corner*..I own very few anime..and Ghibli stuff
is too expensive..hmph..no job..gee, I'm depressed
again.*goes and watches Tokyo mew mew on tv*

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.28.2007, 07:47 AM.

01.28.2007, 07:45 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Awwww... *hugs Emi*

You'll grow up one day, get a job and have money. And responsibilities. Ew, nasty. And then the trouble really starts, so my advice is enjoy being a kid now while you can.

01.28.2007, 09:07 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Know what you mean, but unless it's Ghibli, I just don't do light anime. I like darkness, pain, lost loves, angst, girl/boy misunderstandings and lost opportunities and tears. It just fills me with something I need.

One day I'll look back on this period in my life and understand it, but right now I don't.

There are people who don't do light anime, and there are people who are into gothic.

There's a difference.

And SEL is one that steps over the border. It's not just "not light"; this is pretty heavy. The storyline is pretty deep, even if a fair number say it isn't.

"Not light" to me refers to anime like Escaflowne and JinRoh. Heavy would be this, and others like Paranoia Agent. Especially Paranoia Agent. Now THAT is one SERIOUSLY heavy stuff.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

01.28.2007, 12:12 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've read about Paranoia Agent. I haven't managed to bring myself to watch it, because it does sound very VERY heavy indeed.

01.28.2007, 12:28 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Awwww... *hugs Emi*

You'll grow up one day, get a job and have money. And responsibilities. Ew, nasty. And then the trouble really starts, so my advice is enjoy being a kid now while you can.

Hm, I learnt how to quote. This has taken awhile. I already have responsibilities yet if I am to ever
cook again, beware the biggest fire of the century!
Hm, that gives me an idea..and since when do people
on here call me Emi..must track down Haruko..Ugh,
I'm losing it. My memory is going caplooey..

01.28.2007, 07:44 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

[/QUOTE]since when do people
on here call me Emi..must track down Haruko..Ugh,
I'm losing it. My memory is going caplooey..
[/QUOTE]

lol! Emi Emi Emi Emi Emi!

Serial Experiments Lain is great. The whole thing is like a big puzzle, and the more you figure out, the better it gets.

Paranoia Agent is good too.

01.28.2007, 08:18 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

AHH! I'm too frustrated!
And maybe it's just the new
lap top era? I hope I don't destroy it
again.
Oh Seiji~! Do remember Haruko?..I
will know her on two forums now..heheheheh..
Not tht i'll kill you for calling me Emi. Call me Emi-kun
or -chan or something(you can call me -kun. No doubt
about it). I get called Hunny and Master on here(Master
has grown to me).
HEY!! I FOUND ANOTHER REASON WHY I SOUND LIKE SHIZUKU!
My voice sounds like the Japanese version of her. and
my stupid jerk thing is a trade mark. Haha I've
said that before I even watched the movie.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.28.2007, 08:40 PM.

01.28.2007, 08:23 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
bellmetalviscera
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bellmetalviscera Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller

There are people who don't do light anime, and there are people who are into gothic.

There's a difference.

And SEL is one that steps over the border. It's not just "not light"; this is pretty heavy. The storyline is pretty deep, even if a fair number say it isn't.

"Not light" to me refers to anime like Escaflowne and JinRoh. Heavy would be this, and others like Paranoia Agent. Especially Paranoia Agent. Now THAT is one SERIOUSLY heavy stuff.

Why are you always so pessimistic and critical?

I don't think he was even linking "light anime" to "gothic anime" so I'm not sure why you've pointed out there is a difference. I mean, I think that is quite obvious without being said.

And although I agree it's an understatement to say SEL is simply not light, I don't think he was actually trying to make a point of saying it's above being extremely heavy. He was just being general.

I'm sure he doesn't care about your comments at all. It just bothers me, that you read too far into it and were critical above giving him the benefit of the doubt. Which, from what I've read of his posts, he deserves.

You're very nit-picky, aren't you?

About Serial Experiments Lain, I've seen the series and really liked it for a long time. I like its mood, characters (Lain is such a cool character), animation, story line and soundtrack (Boa is one of my favorite bands). But in retrospect, there are so many loopholes I'm left disappointed.

They say that the wired world has always been, so how was this before wires existed?

Nonetheless, it's a good series.

I really disliked Paranoia Agent at first. But it's grown on me. A lot, actually. Unlike SEL, though, it's full of more action and energy. Depressing though it may be, it seems to be more of a thriller. And it mixes in a lot of humor, cleverness and quirkiness that SEL lacks (but doesn't need).

I also really like this animation, too. Especially in the movement.

"Why must fireflies die so young?"

02.06.2007, 02:21 PM bellmetalviscera is offline   Profile for bellmetalviscera Add bellmetalviscera to your buddy list Send an Email to bellmetalviscera Homepage of bellmetalviscera AIM Screenname: bellmetalviscera
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yay! Boxed set arrived today - but it'll be a while before I can watch it - lots of other stuff to watch first.

02.07.2007, 05:01 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@bellmetalviscera: I'm a critic. So sue me. Besides, I think YOU'RE reading too deep into my post.

And gothic means out of the ordinary, nothing to do with mascara-and-black-jacket-wearing rock stars or the like. Try checking the dictionary

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD*

---
---
---

Anyway, the draw point of Paranoia Agent isn't about the baseball boy, surprisingly. Or at least not amongst the people I know who watched it. When it was released, most people were more interested in researching out all the hidden meanings within the episodes, with special attention to the old man's ramblings (the next episode preview was of special interest that keeps people guessing what the next episode would be about, since he is supposedly an oracle of sorts, telling the future within his mindless ramblings).

Also of interest amongst many watchers were the theme of each episode. To me, personally, the whole series is a take on the development, cause and effect of human behaviour, or more specifically, bad human behaviour.

And then, of course, there were the speculators of what exactly that pink doll is supposed to be.

---
---
---

*END OF SPOILERS*

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

02.08.2007, 04:57 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There truly are a lot of fascinating things to talk about in Paranoia Agent. Why don't you start a thread on it?

02.08.2007, 05:42 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hmm, sounds like another series I'll have to get... my bank manager is gonna start writing me those nice letters again soon.

02.08.2007, 06:11 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
bellmetalviscera
Tanuki

Registration Date: 01.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bellmetalviscera Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
@bellmetalviscera: I'm a critic. So sue me. Besides, I think YOU'RE reading too deep into my post.

And gothic means out of the ordinary, nothing to do with mascara-and-black-jacket-wearing rock stars or the like. Try checking the dictionary

On the former allegation, I was. But you weren't being an innocent commenter, so dissecting your post didn't seem unjustified.

I was going to let this pass, but you're "Try checking the dictionary" comment was too good to pass by. For it was blatant rudeness and not constructive criticism. While I have always been formal, light and polite to you. And since, you know, you are incredibly wrong. "Gothic" is in no way a synonym of "out of the ordinary."

I am not sure why you assumed I was referring to "mascara-and-black-jacket-wearing rock stars." (Remember children "assuming makes an ass out of you and me!" Especially since I made no reference to anything of the sort whatsoever. And that definition is scarcely a true definition of the word, anyway.

"Gothic" is most commonly referring to a French architecture of the 16th century. Or it refers to the German "Goths."

So, perhaps, YOU sir should try checking a dictionary. Or you should learn to stop assuming things that have no validity, basis for assumption or proof. Or you could be a fair critic. I don't mind critics, especially not on a film forum.

I do mind someone needlessly picking apart another's comments in an elitist fashion for no reason or basis. It isn't impressive, although it may initially seem to be.

"Why must fireflies die so young?"

02.09.2007, 03:34 AM bellmetalviscera is offline   Profile for bellmetalviscera Add bellmetalviscera to your buddy list Send an Email to bellmetalviscera Homepage of bellmetalviscera AIM Screenname: bellmetalviscera
arren18
Administrator

Since I started this thread, I'm more than a little annoyed that it had descended into a shouting match between people that spend too much time reading dictionaries.

Just calm down!

02.09.2007, 12:22 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks