QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - His and Her Circumstances
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » His and Her Circumstances » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  His and Her CircumstancesPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought we had a thread on here about this series but searching revealed nothing. Anyone watched it?

After 3 episodes I am slowly coming round to enjoying it but at first I found all the manga/cartoon work really irritating. Clearly they are going for a comic (as in funny) style but if they'd used the main character design all the way through and not treated it so lightly it would still have made a very nice series, because the character design is gorgeous, both girls and boys are very cute.

There is also one heck of a lot of dialogue, a tsunami of information, so much that I can hardly read the subs most of the time.

Not a bad series though, fairly harmless and pretty to look at.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.04.2007, 05:14 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Student Cartoonist
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Student Cartoonist Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL Are you wishing you were young again?
Ya it's a relationship anime with some issues
it reminds me of my high school life back in the 70s LOL

My inspiration of my work

03.04.2007, 05:56 PM Student Cartoonist is offline   Profile for Student Cartoonist Add Student Cartoonist to your buddy list Send an Email to Student Cartoonist
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I tried to watch this on YouTube but found only Spanish subs
and French.
I found it in my anime shop.^^I dunno which volume, because I only saw one DVD(which probably had more behind
it)of it there. What's it rated? Oh wait, the manga is 13+ so
I can watch it.
Is this the one with the lady with the glasses and brown hair? She's not the main character but I just remember her
from this. THe Japanese title is Kare Kano, right?

03.05.2007, 11:08 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Student Cartoonist

Yes, I think he is.

And if the Japanese title is Kare Kano, I've heard of it. But I don't know anything about it...

03.05.2007, 12:41 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Student Cartoonist

Again? Ha! I never grew up.

I love all these school kid stories, I just love the dopey clumsy hormonal missing-the-target reacting-the-wrong-way angsty love affairs, its all so cute.

Exactly like my school days.

Yeah, it's Kare Kano. Here's a couple of reviews:

http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=246
http://www.clho.net/anime/anime.php?anime=89

http://www.animegalleries.net/category/22

There's a moment at the end of episode four after Arima (the boy) has told Yukino he loves her and she hasn't given her reply. She frets over it for days and days not knowing how to tell him, she gets totally uptight about it, missing several chances. Then, one day, they are sitting side by side right at the back of class. His hand is hanging down beside his chair and he's concentrating on the lesson. She looks at his hand and slowly, so slowly, just reaches out with hers and puts her hand in his. He looks at her and they both blush like crazy and then go back to listening to the lesson holding hands.

As her hand was slowly moving towards his my heart was going ba-boom, ba-boom, ba-boom just HOPING she'd touch him.

Great stuff! It's so kawaii!

I love Whisper of the Heart, Ocean Waves and Only Yesterday for the same sort of reasons. Parts of NGE too.

And did I mention the character design? Yukino the girl is just lovely, so pretty.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.18.2007, 07:17 PM.

03.05.2007, 05:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Student Cartoonist
Calcifer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Student Cartoonist Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

LOL! My high school days was crazy
girls chase me all though high school and classroom romace,
that anime make me I back in school

03.05.2007, 10:32 PM Student Cartoonist is offline   Profile for Student Cartoonist Add Student Cartoonist to your buddy list Send an Email to Student Cartoonist
nanafan
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.14.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i saw all of it. a really good show. i love the plot and the characters are hilarious. towards the end was wierd though...just as a warning.

03.06.2007, 12:55 AM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Student Cartoonist
Calcifer

Talk about Classroom Romance LOL

03.06.2007, 12:58 AM Student Cartoonist is offline   Profile for Student Cartoonist Add Student Cartoonist to your buddy list Send an Email to Student Cartoonist
nanafan
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanafan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well, it has the main characters as competitors for awhile lol....fun stuff. gainax produced it...

03.06.2007, 01:02 AM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Another one for my harem... er... collection of favourites. Um...

That was very worrying.

Post last edited by arren18 on 03.06.2007, 05:48 AM.

03.06.2007, 05:48 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
nanafan
Totoro

it's not a harem anime...silly saddletank

03.06.2007, 08:53 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, lots of what I post here late at night is just silly.

no worries I'm just in love with good anime character design period.

Yeah, I'd heard the ending was a bit disjointed because Gainax ran out if time/funds.

But, yeah, I'm really into the closing theme tune now, its really cute and stuck in my head.

I've watched up to ep 6 now, the end of that when Arima finally hugs Yukino and they enjoy their first kiss.... lovely, how sweet and cute and icky icky icky is that?

03.06.2007, 09:22 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
nanafan
Totoro

yeah it's cute. i was wondering towards the end why they had paper cutouts of the characters ithought it wierd.

03.06.2007, 09:28 PM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

did you notice Hideako Annos presence? In some scenes of the school some shots from NGE are reused?

Well, I have certainly seen one, there may be others.

03.06.2007, 09:37 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
nanafan
Totoro

nope but i noticed that gainax has a thing for traffic lights...i don't know why.

03.07.2007, 01:12 AM nanafan is offline   Profile for nanafan Add nanafan to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My friend told me to stay away from the anime.

No, really. But then he knew that I usually don't appreciate crap anime, so meh.

Anyway, the main reason he told me to stay away from the anime was because I started out with the manga, which may I add is a real piece of art, and I'm not atlking about the artwork. The storyline, plot, dialogue are all really well written and presented, and it's damn enjoyable.

Just a heads up btw. While the anime is mainly on romance and humour, this series is actually a drama romance, not much humour actually. And the original storyline goes far beyond Souichiro and Yukino's romance. I'd even go as far as to say that it's a story of how they overcame their self and their past to build a strong working relationship.

The anime though, I heard it was just basic romance and humour. Basically a run-of-the-mill anime.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.07.2007, 03:11 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

In that case it seems I did the right thing watching the anime without knowing the manga. If you don't have that comparison the anime is great, and yes, lots of humour.

So now, when I'm done, I'll go looking for the manga, so thanks for the heads up RK.

03.07.2007, 10:39 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

@RK, I have changed my mind completely about this anime. I'm at episode 16 now and the characters are as dark and mixed up as anything in NGE.

In terms of strong characters, strong plotline and twists and turns of the unexpected I think Anno has here produced something very nearly as good as Evangelion, and in addition to that lots of wacky humour and some nice romantic cuddly bits as well.

The romantic cuddly bits take a definite back seat in the middle section of the story (eps 11-16) and we explore the backgrounds to some of the new and minor characters. All of them are at least as complex and messed up as Asuka, Shinji, Misato and Gendo.

I've really tuned in to this anime now, its very very VERY good, even small things like some of the moods shots an scene settings feel like NGE.

If what your friend says is true and the manga is even darker/grittier than this then it must be pretty grim.

I do recommend you check this out and persevere through the first 8 or 9 eps before it takes the sudden twist that we saw at ep 13 of NGE.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.18.2007, 12:54 PM.

03.18.2007, 12:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm...So, I guess I'll use a guinea pig for this, huh?
Mu ha ha ha nya!
Oh, my evil friend! I have a new title for you.
(she'll like it..uh..uh oh. I think it's only me and Ray
who can tell what good anime is)
Okay, I'll stick to my creepy goth stuff.^^
(uncle:how can a thing like you like that stuff?)
Roarkiller:Hm..then I don't know if you'd like Wallflower.
I think you would, I'd never diss it. I'm just saying
read the manga first, kay? If you ever do. It's gothic.
I'm gonna read the manga. It seems to be better.
As for Kare Kano(this series), I'm gonna get my guinea
pig in on this.(she'd kill me if she knew that, what's the
Japanese word for it?)

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 03.18.2007, 06:03 PM.

03.18.2007, 06:00 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I finished watching it last night and I was so disappointed in the ending. I knew it was rough and disjointed because GAINAX ran out of budget and time but the damn thing just stopped seemingly in mid flow, right at the start of exploring the relationship that had just begun between two new characters.

The 3 or 4 episodes before that were all a bit jumpy and disjointed so it seemed to be in trouble after about 20 episodes.

One thing they kept doing which annoyed me to hell and back was doing a "story so far" summing up far too frequently, in 26 eps we must be treated to this about 8 times at least 3 times this is exactly the same material.

GAINAX clearly have very talented artists and writers. They just need a talented project manager/director to keep them focused and on budget.

A great pity, the main story of the relationship of the main girl and boy is beauitifully depicted, both in the artwork, the very serious struggles both characters go through, complex family hang ups and the joy of their love. On top of that we get several other very well developed and complex characters and some good storylines.

Despite the messy ending I still recommend this series very highly. Its extremely funny, tragic, touching and beautiful to look at all at the same time.

03.30.2007, 07:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks