QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime Club » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It isn't so much that one spelling of a Japanese name is better than the other. All of our Romanizations are nothing more than interpretations of the Japanese syllabary. Different people tend to focus on different things when using romaji. Go back to Arren's post and you can see a few examples of different romaji spellings of the same sound.

What JRR said earlier is completely correct. Though I haven't seen it, her name in hiragana is likely spelled yu-u-ko, meaning that the combination of kanji for her name, (which I don't know) also is pronounced that way. Roarkiller just prefers to stay truer to that aspect of the language I presume.

As far as Japanese people being addressed as given name followed by surname, I am almost positive that such a practice is only in relation to the non-Japanese speaking world. Miyazaki is referred to as Miyazaki Hayao in Japan.

And just because a Japanese person spells their name in romaji one way, it doesn't mean that it cannot be spelled other ways as well using different romaji rules.

For example, Saddletank, if we took your name, Martin, and wrote it in katakana, it could be rewritten in romaji as something like ma-ru-ta-n. And, it would be perfectly reasonable for you to go by ma-ru-ta-n in Japan even if people could plainly see that your name is spelled "Martin". So, when translating between English and Japanese, or any other language with a different alphabet or pronunciation system, the results are more interpretations of the original sound and spelling rather than clear cut facts.

05.10.2007, 08:22 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Seiji and JRR pretty much explained everything.

You need to learn the Japanese language in order to understand what I'm saying. Yuko and Yuuko are two completely different names when spelled in Japanese. Yes, when spelled in English, they will be pronounced almost exactly the same, but not when in Japanese.

Following your reasoning, the word "shojo" would mean girl. Unfortunately, there's a total of THREE different ways to say that in japanese; Shoujo(long 1st syllable) meaning girl, Shojo(short syllables) meaning virgin, and Shoujou(long syllables) meaning Orang Utan.

And it is for this sole reason that I spell japanese words exactly as they are spelled and pronounced.

On Japanese names, they are written as such because of Western influence. Because the West reads the family name as the latter, thus the Japanese will write their name the opposite way in romanized form. Reasons differ, from just being cool to wanting to be understood easier.

And you have to remember that the Japanese are still pretty clueless on the English language. Think Flesh Juice.

There's so many more ways I can argue, but that should be enough to be understandable.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.11.2007, 12:33 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
oohh.. Im still surprised that i actually made a valid point for once..
So.
have we decided which one were going to watch... or do we have to vote.
Lets do it, so that we can watch next week.

05.11.2007, 03:27 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i think we agreed on full moon, so lets do that next week, now we just have to figure out a good day for everyone to be on and discuss.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.11.2007, 03:20 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
saturday or friday evening is cool for me.
What we do have to do is decide how many episodes to watch until then.
3 seems okay for me.

05.11.2007, 06:49 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i like three a week, the only problem i see is timezones, im 5 hours behind the UK people, and that really kind screws things up, not too ba, but we'll have to get everyones zone, and get some hours that work for everyone.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.11.2007, 06:51 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Lol, three a week. At 50+ eps, should keep us busy for like a whole 18 weeks.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.12.2007, 12:52 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What? It's that long?

Then I might have a problem. I'm terrible at getting round to watching anime, and watching 3 episodes a week for that long just might not happen. I thought we would start with a shorter series.

05.12.2007, 06:06 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

YO!
got a point there.
Im also leaving for holidays in a month and a bit.

05.12.2007, 06:17 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for all those language explanations guys and sorry to go off topic.

I will get hold of Full Moon asap.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.12.2007, 06:47 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

It's worth it. FMwS is worth it.

Well, we can always do it like a discussion of a new series. Considering that the majority of the people here haven't seen it (actually, I'd say only two or three of us have), it'd be good exposure.

One reason I support this series is the wide variety of genres it covers. There's romance obviously, and there's humour. Add that to drama and fantasy. Oh, and mahou shoujo (magical girl).

Sorry boys, no action

The general storyline goes like this: Kouyama Mitsuki, a 12-yr old girl, aspires to be singer, as her own dream and also as a promise to the boy she loves who is now far away. Unfortunately, she is suffering from serious throat cancer, so it's not a realistic dream. Enter Takuto and Meroko, two death gods sent to stop her from meeting a certain someone who will prevent her death that will take place a year later. So Mitsuki decides to take that chance and use her remaining time to be a singer. She somehow convinced the death gods to help her change into a 16-yr old (age limit, lol) without throat problems and managed to win the auditions, and with that, her way to becoming a professional singer.

The anime is based on the manga of the same name, only the anime is focused on her career as a singer, while the manga focuses more on her relations and romance. Both stand pretty well on their own, and while the anime has the more bland storyline, it makes up for it with the singles. Of particular recommendation (from yours truly) is Love Chronicles and Eternal Snow. And I don't mean just the tunes. The lyrics are equally impressive.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.12.2007, 12:20 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That does sound good. I'll try my best to be involved, though I can't always promise to be on time. When will we start then?

05.12.2007, 01:01 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

im not sure, the series sounds good, i support it so that is the one that we are doing, locked in.

timewise im not sure, we have to wait for saddles to get it, and i'll do a quick youtube check for it, if its not there ill start downlaoding it. maybe the week after next, that should give everyone plenty of time to get ready for it and we shoudl be able to then hammer out some discussion times set up.

Click for Gallery^^

05.12.2007, 02:17 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

okay, lets get this started with a little information, every member, i want them to post what times they would be available on the weekends, along with their timezones. is everyone okay with that?

Click for Gallery^^

05.19.2007, 09:15 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
okay, lets get this started with a little information, every member, i want them to post what times they would be available on the weekends, along with their timezones. is everyone okay with that?

And... why do you need that info again?

I live in Singapore, so that's GMT+8.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.19.2007, 11:21 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

YO!
Wouldnt it just be easier to have a thread on it..
and let people talk, regardless of when they pop-in. Im sure it will still work.
Im on GMT 0 (if thats what you call it..)
Problem is, i am currently studying a lot on weekends, so I can only popo in for a few mins now and then, or before I study... like now.

05.20.2007, 04:42 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
arren18
Administrator

GMT for me. All my time is free time.

05.20.2007, 05:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

GMT here too, I can drop by most evenings.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.20.2007, 06:59 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

yeah we could just have people drop by, i wanted more of a book club feel, in that evryone is there but we could go either way. plus im thinking that we start this week, everyone okay with that?

Click for Gallery^^

05.20.2007, 10:56 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Start whenever you like, my boxed set is still in some warehouse in South Carolina or something but as soon as it arrives here, I'll watch (say) the first three eps and then dive right in with you guys.

05.20.2007, 03:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks