QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Club
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Anime Club Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Full moon is funny. I've only seen a couple of episodes though. Really like the opening. Why aren't you supposed to be watching it FFF.

Also, on a side note, I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa FFF.

And if you don't mind adding me to the list Sanfan (or Matt), I'd like to be in as well.

05.06.2007, 06:44 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

aye we have 9, pretty good showing we got a lot of people. so far ive heard Full Moon, Lovely Complex, and thats it, we need some more nominations, get to work people do some scouting.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.06.2007, 06:47 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Seiji
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've already started, but I want to watch the rest of Honey and clover and beck.

05.06.2007, 06:52 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The series I've watched recently was Kare Kano. It has cutsey romance, some very dark angsty stuff and lots of great humour. Also v interesting artwork that changes with the mood.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.06.2007, 06:53 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

I'd like to watch kare kano as well.

05.06.2007, 06:54 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Honey and Clover or Kare Kano, I'd participate if it was one of those. Those are two anime series which I consider my favourites and among what I consider the best. I haven't seen some other suggestions here, sadly, and I'm too busy to pick an entire series up.

05.06.2007, 11:08 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Honey and Clover has a live action movie FYI. I watched it a few weeks back. It was more artsy than comedy, so be prepared to think abstract. The artworks in the movie are really stunning.

And yes, the actress playing Hagu-chan (Aoi Yuu) is uber cute. I don't think they could've found a better actress. Found her "official" website here. Just about my age too, lol

Full Moon is a nice series. The songs composed can pretty much stand up on their own as Jpop singles, especially Eternal Snow and Love Chronicles.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.07.2007, 12:27 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I want to watch Honey and Clover but there isn't an official English sub that I know of (fansubs only).

Wow, yes, Yu Aoi is very pretty.

I was wondering Roar, why you always spell things with a double 'U' - you do the same with Yuko in Whisper as well. Is there a grammatical reason?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.07.2007, 12:50 PM.

05.07.2007, 12:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
I dont know, but Im guessing it mmight be because the names are written with the hiraganas ゆう。ie: yu u
It makes it a longer yu...
but if its not that, then I dont know.

05.07.2007, 05:31 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Seiji
Totoro

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
YO!
I dont know, but Im guessing it mmight be because the names are written with the hiraganas ゆう。ie: yu u
It makes it a longer yu...
but if its not that, then I dont know.

JRR is correct. That is why.

05.08.2007, 12:11 AM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, that's right. Also, many people use "ou", which can be confusing about whether it is "u" or "o", so "uu" is more obvious, differentiating between the two.

05.08.2007, 12:16 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The same reason I spell "book" with two 'o's instead of one. Because that's the proper spelling. Like how I say Miyazaki Hayao instead of Hayao Miyazaki because that's the proper way to say his name.

She appears in Hana and Alice, another movie I've been wanting to see for a LONG time. On a side note, her acting in HnC was very impressive, albeit a little lacking in dialogue. Can't pass judgement for now, but I'd say she might be a very famous actress in the near future with her skills.

HnC isn't licensed to the best of my knowledge, but don't worry, I expect it to be.

Btw, IRC gets you anime real fast, you know As does bittorent. It just depends whether you want to burn it on CDs or just delete them when you're done.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.09.2007, 12:00 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So the movie was good, huh? I've heard a lot of people say it didn't really capture the spirit of the characters and plotline.

05.09.2007, 02:31 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Seiji
Totoro

Good or not, I won't be watching it until I finish the series. I'd like to read the manga first as well.

But anyways, back to the matter at hand. What are we gonna watch first?

05.09.2007, 08:53 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

okay so far the nominations are:
Honey and Clover
Kare Kano
Full Moon
Lovely Complex
Lucky Star

anymore?

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.09.2007, 09:00 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Seiji
Totoro

ok, so here is my reasoning then. Going on those nominations, I think we should either watch Kare Kano or Full moon. Lovely complex is live action (not that there is anything wrong with that, it just doesn't seem like it's been licensed), Lucky Star only has a few episodes released, and Honey and Clover has been licensed (by viz) but it hasn't been released, so people like Saddletank wouldn't be able to participate.

So I vote for kare Kano or Full Moon. We can always get to Honey and Clover, Lucky Star, Lovely Complex, and many others later as they become available.

05.09.2007, 11:36 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Drop Lucky Star. Trust me, it ain't worth your hard-earned cash.

I vote for Full Moon then, because while it focuses on her career instead of the romance (in the manga), it gets really good from middle towards the end.

@Theowne: They're right, it doesn't. Most times it just feels like they're trying to retain the feel of the manga/anime while still trying to break free from it. Like a clash of ideas.

Still, like I said, it's more artsy than drama or comedy. You really need to open your mind to understand the movie and appreciate it. One good point about the movie is that the director really allowed Hagu to shine through her paintings; you can really feel her art.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 05.10.2007, 12:23 AM.

05.10.2007, 12:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
lets go for full moon.

05.10.2007, 03:40 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
The same reason I spell "book" with two 'o's instead of one. Because that's the proper spelling. Like how I say Miyazaki Hayao instead of Hayao Miyazaki because that's the proper way to say his name.

A lot of Japanese now spell their names with the given name first, family name second. The modern world sees it as the more helpful, less confusing way to do it. E-mail addresses especially.

But what puzzled me was that her own website doesn't spell it that way, ergo she doesn't spell it that way, so who are you to argue with her? (not being offensive here; I just wonder why you feel the need to spell her name differently to the way she spells it). I mean if my name is spelled Martin, It'd get annoyed if people went around insisting I was wrong and spelling it Maartin.

And since Ghibli were content to spell the name in the translations as 'Yuko', why do you see that as wrong?

In other words, we're all spelling it 'book' and you are saying it should be 'bok'.

Book is spelled book because that's how its spelled. There is no such word as bok. The sound is totally different.

On the other hand 'Yu' and 'Yuko' clearly work for the owners of those names.

Sorry, but I just don't understand your point of view when usage says different to the rules. Its how languages develop.

05.10.2007, 05:57 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank

In other words, we're all spelling it 'book' and you are saying it should be 'bok'.

Book is spelled book because that's how its spelled. There is no such word as bok. The sound is totally different.

youre contradicting yourself
book as a double o because it is a distinctive sound. It doesnt mean you elongate the o sound.
I get your point with how she spells it and all, but.. The extra u makes the sound longer, abit like adding another one.
If Roar feels that thats the way it actually sounds, and the way it is most realistically depicted in Romaji, thats his choice.
I might realise that although everyone spells a name in one way,m spelling it in another (also acceptable) way makes it more simlar to the orignial phonologically.

05.10.2007, 06:15 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks