QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Anime that REALLY made you laugh
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Anime that REALLY made you laugh » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Anime that REALLY made you laughPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I want to buy a series that will make me laugh. A lot. I just want to watch something fun, lighthearted, etc.

No complex plots necessary, no freudian character development essential.

I like romance anime so if there is that too, that would be better still.

Can anyone recommend something that literally had you split your sides laughing?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.15.2007, 06:04 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

These are some anime that have made me laugh uncontrollably:

Azumanga Daiou (school life anime)
Kare Kano < -- (also drama/romance)
Ouran High School Host Club (school anime with a twist)
Honey and Clover < -- (also drama/romance, and a really good one at that)
Nodame Cantabile < --(some romance/drama)
Midori no Hibi

I haven't seen too much comedy, I know a lot of people like "School Rumble".

05.15.2007, 06:50 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, School Rumble and Ouran. Especially Rumble.
I wanna watch it so bad but I don't know the age rating.(OT for manga, shoot. Same with Karin, no fair.)
I'm not sure if Karin has and Ray, It HAS ENGLISH SUBS.
I can't buy anything online anymore so my dad has to either download it, i have to buy it for that expensive price, go to the US before passports are needed, or watch you tube.
Usually watch you tube, research, and buy manga/anime.
Wallflower might be one..not sure. I don't know many anime that make you laugh.

05.15.2007, 08:22 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

AZUMANGA DAIOH FOR LIFE!!! YAAAAHHH!!!!!

*cough*

There's FLCL at 6 eps, pure non-understandable funny, unless you take the time to really read into the series (more on that on request). There's also Here Is Greenwood, mainly comedy set in a male dormitory. And then there's the cult series Samurai Champloo.

Unfortunately, none of the three are of the romance genre per se, despite romance going ons in the former two. If a "little" ecchi won't faze you, then Midori no Hibi is one I can recommend.

Honey and Clover is light-hearted, but won't make you laugh "a lot" as you put it.

There's also last year's cult series The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, although it's not romance either, but it's comedy all the same, although be prepared for some lengthy talks (it's how they get most jokes across), and there's a LOT of hidden messages in it, PLUS one of its selling points was how the series was NOT run in chronological order (it's better, trust me), so you can get pretty confused once in a while.

For movies, I'd suggest Tokyo Godfathers, an anime adaptation of the movie The Three Godfathers.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.16.2007, 12:50 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
Azumanga Daioh! most funny hing ive ever seen.
Ouran highschool Host Club is also really funny. And has some romance in it, I know you like romance.
FLCL is my favourite ever anime series. In a way its funny. I find the extreme crazyness really awe-inspiring.
Also, if you want somthing light, FLCL is not it. Although it might seem like theres nothing to it, it has MANY MANY underlying themes. Very complicated and difficult to follow. (recommend the ultimate edition, it has lots of guides, especially to the extremely obscure puns that appear now and then).

05.16.2007, 03:26 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks guys, I have listed these and will look at them in more detail.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.16.2007, 04:29 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Azumanga Daioh of course. Chobits is also funny, but a bit NSFW if you understand.

Sometimes the funniest ones are action series that are deadly serious, but watching the subtitled version is hilarious just because of the exaggeration in dialogue and expression.

05.16.2007, 06:16 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is Onegai Teacher funny or is it just ecchi?

Or both?

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.17.2007, 05:31 PM.

05.17.2007, 05:30 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Is Onegai Teacher funny or is it just ecchi?

Or both?

I recall watching it back when I was first trying out anime. It's a comedy, so yes it has some funny scenes, and it also has ecchi scenes. Personally, I never really liked it.

05.17.2007, 05:34 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Following your definition of ecchi, it is both. And romance, but you already know that.

If you don't know the storyline: An alien designated to observe the earth species disguises herself as a teacher. In comes 15-yr old boy, who is actually 18(how convenient) because of a comatose-type sickness which is supposedly unheard of and thus incurable. Misunderstandings occur, and they ended up married.

Yeah.

On hindsight, it's more of a story of how the couple works out a complicated relationship, and ignoring the alien side, is more of how a student-teacher marriage survives the rocks. So it's a pretty decent storyline. Also, the illness suffered by the main hero (Kei) is real, although it's a psychological illness, and yes, there is a cure, since it's psychological.

I'd know, my cousin suffered from it.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.18.2007, 12:24 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Is there much comedy? I've googled a few images and they all seem to be big boobed (and barely dressed) women, so not sure where the student-teacher romance fits in...

It's probably a wee bit too ecchi for me (remember I'm the head of a family and this stuff is left lying around a family home, not squirrelled away in a private stash in a bedroom).

05.18.2007, 05:16 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I doubt it's family safe.

Just go for Tokyo Godfathers.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.19.2007, 12:59 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Best thing you can do
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Azumanga-Daioh-A...4513&sr=8-1

05.19.2007, 04:49 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

There's one new anime that has just been released recently if you care, called Lovely Complex. Story's about a girl of above average height, and a guy vice versa, both looking for love. There's a fair amount of slapstick humour, and romance.

Otherwise, Honey and Clover, while it won't make you laugh "a lot", would be one of the very few decent recommendations. And it's got enough drama for your mind to indulge too, so eh.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.19.2007, 11:19 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller Otherwise, Honey and Clover

Yes, I'm sitting here patiently waiting for an English subtitled version to be released.

05.20.2007, 06:56 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

honey and clover made me laugh a lot. Sometimes it made me laugh and cry (or at least tear up) at the same time.

If you go with azumanga, I would also like to recommend ichigo mashimaro. It is similar to azumanga, but unlike a lot of other shows, it isn´t a rip off of it. The humor is a little more dry than azumanga, and a little less physical, but I like it just about as much.

Post last edited by Seiji on 05.24.2007, 03:30 PM.

05.24.2007, 03:30 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
There's one new anime that has just been released recently if you care, called Lovely Complex. Story's about a girl of above average height, and a guy vice versa, both looking for love. There's a fair amount of slapstick humour, and romance.

How many episodes is it please?

06.03.2007, 05:13 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
totorogirl
Warawara

Registration Date: 09.30.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by totorogirl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is an old one but Project A-ko and Lupin (Cagliostro) still makes me laugh.

06.05.2007, 04:50 PM totorogirl is offline   Profile for totorogirl Add totorogirl to your buddy list Send an Email to totorogirl AIM Screenname: akachocobabe
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
How many episodes is it please?

Like I said, it's a new release. As in available only from fansubs, ongoing series. Latest episode is at 8, FYI.

It's based on a manga as usual, but very heavy on the Osaka dialect, being based in Osaka after all. There's already a live movie out for it as well.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.06.2007, 11:22 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Ray15
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's easy, Lucky star

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

06.06.2007, 12:07 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
[  1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks