QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Who wish to make own animation movie ?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions Who wish to make own animation movie ? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]
Azhur
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.07.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Azhur Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jiji
I just wonder if the "earth" would be engulfed by the "sun"? As having no rotation the planet can be forced out of its orbit by the centripetal force and crash itself into the sun. Anyway it is a fictitious world I should not take these too serious. So just let your imaginations fly!

I read some scientific facts and thought about it. After 3 months of serious thinking, I came to a conclusion and said to myself: "It's not that irrelevant!" Besides, there won't be any scenes in the film, which clearly state this bizarre phenomenon. After all, for the characters in the story, it is as routine as our visit to the Moon. My vision may sound slightly more unrealistic, but I doubt that'll be the biggest concern right now...

quote:

In fact your story is quite original and the environment of the world is interesting. And I am impressed with the drawing too. You must have spent a long time in planning the story and developing the plots. I cannot wait to see all the sections . But just take your time, and start with those you are convenient with.

By the way is the "Iris" drawing in your DA gallery also a part of the story?

Thanks for your support!

I'll take the character-part next then. The Iris is supposed to be part of the story, but for now I haven't found a place for it. The last third of the story takes place in a frozen land, where the drawing would be most suited with.

02.22.2005, 02:36 PM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Azhur
I'll take the character-part next then. The Iris is supposed to be part of the story, but for now I haven't found a place for it. The last third of the story takes place in a frozen land, where the drawing would be most suited with.

They seem to be awesome . Can't wait to see them.

02.23.2005, 01:19 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Azhur
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Azhur Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Protagonists:

Eishi (14):

Eishi has a silver scaled skin, so his roots are somewhere in the dark side of the world. He's also got deep eye-sockets and a black to silvery coloured back hair. He's relatively short for his age, but that doesn't really bother him.

The boy lived his early childhood in an orphanage. It's a bit mystery how he actually ended up there, nor does he recall of having any parents. He's a good-natured person, though he has a tired and weary look on his face. It's mostly because of his tragical childhood, when he used to cry a lot. Living in an orphanage was especially hard for him, since he was quite a sickly one back then.

Currently Eishi lives at Yoko's grandma's house, until he grows old enough to live in a homestead of his own. He works at the lower layer, in the harbor, where he mostly assists old fishermen and cleans boats. As you could expect, his biggest dream for him would be to leave the floating town one day, and go sailing to the unknown.

(Trivia: there isn't any kind of currency in Floating town, just some strict regulations).

-------------------------------------------------

Yoko (22):

Yoko has a golden scaled skin, and is related to the ones living in the light side of the world. Her face is extraordinary 'conglomerated', as she had a face of a 4-year old child. Her golden hair is rather short and it glitters a bit.

Eishi's best friend, Yoko, lived a plentiful childhood, since her parents are part of the floating town's adminstration, and thus they receive some privileges compared to the other residents. Her parents are absent for the most part of the time, and Yoko spends little time with them. Usually she assists her grandma at the house, while she's seeing Eishi.

Yoko met Eishi in the orphanage, when she was babysitting its young residents, at the age of 12. That was the beginning of their dear friendship, although it was somewhat tragic. Eishi bewailed all day long his sad fate, until one day Yoko confronted him. Eishi had a fiever that day, nevertheless she helped him out of his misery, and from that day everything has been more or less calm.

(Trivia: the overall reason to have an orphanage in the floating town has to do with the cruel world of adults. It's not very rare to hear one's parents having died to a disease or coldness/heat.)

Important characters:

Formless (??):

Formless has no shape whatsoever, and is like a trapped soul without a shell. It consists of pure energy with consciousness, and those two factors are the basics for self-assertion. Formless is a being captived to a place and time and can only observe.

Formless can only wait for a shell to be taken. Shell can be any kind of non-organic materia, which this strange matter would then turn into an organic being. The morphing process itself is swift, but it takes some time for veins, muscles and organs to develop for optimal action.

Young Formless energy would be only passive materia, but the older they get, more they develop their own nature and goals. Yet, the ultimate purpose for Formless is to connect a link between the dead and alive.

The first confrontation to the Formless is, when the being "takes over" Eishi's flying lantern among thausands of other similar ones. This is naturally by no means a coincidence and is also the story's first turning-point.

(Trivia: The flying lanterns give hope for those who have recently passed away. The wind also tells omens to its sender. The early extinguishment of the candle brings bad omen, while the lantern's late setting on roary flames changes fate. Otherwise everything stays the same).

TO BE CONTINUED...

Post last edited by Azhur on 02.28.2005, 12:21 PM.

02.23.2005, 03:37 PM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It is interesting to have scales on the body.

Anyway does your story has any antagonist? Or follow the no-antagonist approach like what is in the story of Kiki or Totoro?

02.25.2005, 02:00 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Melfina
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.24.05
i like the start to your storyPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Melfina Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hello fellow human. I found your idea to have scales on your people quite origninal. I would like to know more about your people and thier history in your story I was wondering if they would leave there floating city I am knew here and I would like to read more

02.25.2005, 03:53 PM Melfina is offline   Profile for Melfina Add Melfina to your buddy list
Azhur
Tanuki

quote:
Anyway does your story has any antagonist? Or follow the no-antagonist approach like what is in the story of Kiki or Totoro?

Well if there's gonna be any antagonist, it'll be more or less the harsh mother nature at the last third. Cold death covers all over the northern permafrost, and the people who live there symbolize hope and determination to survive.

02.28.2005, 07:40 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Well if there's gonna be any antagonist, it'll be more or less the harsh mother nature at the last third. Cold death covers all over the northern permafrost, and the people who live there symbolize hope and determination to survive.

This fits quite well into the style and structure of Miyazaki's stories. I am glad that your story is not based on those conventional Hollywood "'goodie vs badie' + CG/explosive action + soap drama romance" formula.

02.28.2005, 10:39 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Azhur
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by Melfina
Hello fellow human. I found your idea to have scales on your people quite origninal. I would like to know more about your people and thier history in your story I was wondering if they would leave there floating city I am knew here and I would like to read more

Well I think that two brothers were the ones, who had the vision of a floating town. So they created it, even they died long before it was built.

The story ends true to Ghibli, as the tale continues at the ending titles. The Floating Town wanders trough generations, and the people continue living in there. It passes trough the very same places that Yoko and Eishi once visited, until we see the last glimpse of it heading towards the fog. After a while the floating town reaches the frozen permafrost and we witness as it gradually freezes still.

quote:
This fits quite well into the style and structure of Miyazaki's stories. I am glad that your story is not based on those conventional Hollywood "'goodie vs badie' + CG/explosive action + soap drama romance" formula.

Heh, I've gotten over those immature nemesis plots... even the best antagonists turn the story to a more basic direction.

Themes:

Time - The story's world is literally timeless, and it gives a nice relaxed tone to the beginning of the plot. When the story starts to develop (characters move away from the floating town), "illusory time" appears out of nowhere. When the protagonists arrive to the northern lands, time stops again, as everything is more or less frozen.

Death - The northern permafrost and Eishi's weakening to a human state, bring death closer to the viewer's mind, as the story nears its end.

Despair & Hope - Eishi's and Yoko's journey is truly painful, but even at the darkest moment hope rises out of nowhere. Also the people of north show their determination to stay alive at the brink of extinction.

Homecoming - Eishi's true home is at north (that isn't the whole truth actually), while at the very end Yoko also reaches home (Floating town) with the aid of Formless.

Friendship - It's quite an obvious theme to have, after all Yoko and Eishi have a strong bond.

Symbolism & metaphors:

Hidden paradise - A metaphor of one's dreams' haven

Eishi - Hope and death

Yoko - Love and life (means "sun child" in Japanese)

Formless - Neutrality, alteration and immortality

Floating town - Timelessness, hope and sanctuary

Ocean - Life, constancy and timelessness

Northern lands - Despair and death

People of Permafrost - Hope and survival

Post last edited by Azhur on 05.12.2005, 05:13 AM.

02.28.2005, 11:38 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

The time part is a bit complicated. But that's okay. I think everything will be well explained in the content of your story.

By the way here is a must-read for anyone who wish to be a Ghibli animator. I think I can post the link here as the topic of this thread is about making animation.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/sen/breathing.html

P.S. The page is in nausicaa.net but you can never find it by using their own internal links. The site is a great reserve of gems, but would be even better if they can make a decent site map that covers at least 90% of their content.

03.01.2005, 09:21 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Azhur
Tanuki

quote:
The time part is a bit complicated. But that's okay. I think everything will be well explained in the content of your story.

Don't worry about it too much, it's indeed easier to understand, once I reveal the core of the plot.

quote:

By the way here is a must-read for anyone who wish to be a Ghibli animator. I think I can post the link here as the topic of this thread is about making animation.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/sen/breathing.html

P.S. The page is in nausicaa.net but you can never find it by using their own internal links. The site is a great reserve of gems, but would be even better if they can make a decent site map that covers at least 90% of their content.

"Miyazaki takes a look at Yonebayashi's latest batch of drawings. Afterwards, Miyazaki comments to the camera that if he insists that Yonebayashi draw quickly, the results would be bad -- Yonebayashi would "tense up" and not be able to put emotion into his drawings. Therefore, Miyazaki will give Yonebayashi some more time. Miyazaki comments that in the wild, when animals see their young offspring 'tense up', they will push them into action, or even kill them, because they are too weak to survive."

I'm glad for not working as an animator in Ghibli... it's probably one of the most stressful jobs there is.

Plot:

The plot is divided into three main acts. The scenes are quite detached right now, but I'll link them after I've finished em:

I. The Floating Town

- Eishi's dream sequence
- Eishi wakes up to the mirror, that reflects sunshine (awakening method)
- He cleans up some mouldered wooden boats and helps the elderly fishermen
- A scene at the marketplace, as it's too crowded for Eishi to find Yoko down there
- A scene of some infants swimming in the sea, while an old man is relaxing in a wooden mudbath
- A scene at the dying bed of the oldest residence in FT, grandma Suzu
- 1st turning point: grandma Suzu's funeral
[list][*] A scene of Yoko and Eishi making their own flying lanterns
[*] The people gather to the dark side of FT
[*] Suzu's body is put to sunk to the core of the FT into the dephts of Ocean
[*] The residents release their lanterns to make their ancestors accept Suzu's call to the afterworld[/list]
- 2nd turning point: At great heights Eishi's lantern is suddenly flaming multicolored (Formless takes control of his lantern)
[list][*] Yoko notices that Eishi's lantern is starting to fall to the Lower Harbor, and thus Eishi makes his way to there, Yoko following far behind
[*] Lantern lands to the bow of a legendary boat -> The risk that it would burn it down makes Eishi to fetch it
[*] Just as Eishi reaches the lantern, the candle inside extinguishes (formless leaves the lantern and takes hold of the ship) and he picks it up with some annoyance on his face[/list]
- 3rd turning point: Suddenly the boat is starting to shake and the viper head on its bow is alive. Yoko also arrives to the boat and just when it's about to leave, she goes onboard

II. The Formless Nave

III. The Eternal Permafrost

TO BE CONTINUED...

Post last edited by Azhur on 03.19.2005, 01:37 AM.

03.01.2005, 12:14 PM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
I'm glad for not working as an animator in Ghibli... it's probably one of the most stressful jobs there is.

Yea. This article is great for knocking anyone off the dream of being a Ghibli animator.

I have heard that Ghibli is the most respected Studio in Japan for its great works. However, almost every animator respects it at a distance, and does not really want to work inside there for the rest of their life. Other studios are by far more free and more relaxed. And the supervisors there are more like colleagues, while Miyazaki of Ghibli always acts like a parent/commander.

03.01.2005, 12:47 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
the_baron's_girl
Kodama

Registration Date: 03.27.05
I got stories too ^^Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by the_baron's_girl Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I make so many stories and I either wright them or turn them into comics my comic that still has alot of people interested is called Reiko Hinohara ^^ the main character was in a dream I had so I made a story just for her . . .when I dream I dream stories! I have two new stories I dreamt Tunoehem , and Cowgirl Lily both very good ideas if you want to hear about one ill send you the plot ^^

Someday I will find my Baron. . .

03.27.2005, 04:28 PM the_baron's_girl is offline   Profile for the_baron's_girl Add the_baron's_girl to your buddy list
Azhur
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by the_baron's_girl
I make so many stories and I either wright them or turn them into comics my comic that still has alot of people interested is called Reiko Hinohara ^^ the main character was in a dream I had so I made a story just for her . . .when I dream I dream stories! I have two new stories I dreamt Tunoehem , and Cowgirl Lily both very good ideas if you want to hear about one ill send you the plot ^^

Sure, I'd like to hear the plot.

Landscapes:

Having said that I don't really have enough time or recources to make my own landscapes, I've taken some examples from deviantart. These show only the flesh of the story, so you have to wait for the core for now.

Floating Town

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13629515/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11672087/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14458773/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13576538/ (Dark Side)
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15488841/

Formless Nave

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15460303/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14708271/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14667863/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11446268/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16154809/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16147192/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13329065/

Eternal Permafrost

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/12064175/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13706854/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/12588830/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15553729/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10475154/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11643570/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13933306/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/10913715/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14917090/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/15471741/

TO BE CONTINUED...

Post last edited by Azhur on 04.01.2005, 04:40 AM.

03.28.2005, 06:05 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Wow your drawings are really fabulous. Actually have you considered drawing a picture-book-esque manga, like Miyazaki's "Journey of Shuna"? I am sure it would be amazing. (and also truly cool 8] )

03.31.2005, 11:12 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Azhur
Tanuki

quote:
Wow your drawings are really fabulous. Actually have you considered drawing a picture-book-esque manga, like Miyazaki's "Journey of Shuna"? I am sure it would be amazing. (and also truly cool 8] )

quote:
Having said that I don't really have enough time or recources to make my own landscapes, I've taken some examples from deviantart.

Not counting the first picture those aren't my drawings, just various sources of inspirations made by other people. Deviantart is a great place to find new ambiences, because of its dedication to bring forth others works. My skills with pencil aren't really up for making a lengthy manga, so all the credits to Miyazaki's determination and talent.

Post last edited by Azhur on 03.31.2005, 01:58 PM.

03.31.2005, 01:56 PM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Not counting the first picture those aren't my drawings, just various sources of inspirations made by other people. Deviantart is a great place to find new ambiences, because of its dedication to bring forth others works. My skills with pencil aren't really up for making a lengthy manga, so all the credits to Miyazaki's determination and talent.

Oh sorry for the misunderstandings . Attention and sanity usually wanders away after the midnight .

I do look forward to know more about your story. (and see more drawings from you )

04.01.2005, 01:37 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Azhur
Tanuki

A Screenplay Sample

"The story begins with a DREAM SEQUENCE. We see main character Eishi's P.O.V, as he flies trough the afternoon sky. Though the sun is still shining, it cannot be seen yet, since it’s behind thick clouds. They reflect purple color and it’s like the whole sky would be in flames. Only one distant sound echoes in the sky, THE SILENTLY BLOWING WIND. Slowly we move trough dense clouds and in the end reach a very deep one. For a moment we can only see dark greyish mist, but in the end the colossal sun reveals. It’s unreal huge and shines bright orange color, which is really disturbing. We still keep moving towards the fiery ball and keep accelerating in a considerate speed. Though we move trough the atmosphere until the space reached, the sun is still same sized. Finally the sun flares white light and

DISSOLVE TO

INT. EISHI'S ROOM – SUNRISE

INDETERMINATE WOODEN MACHINERY RUMBLING

The first impression of Eishi's room seems to be much like a medieval storeroom with bricked walls. It’s overall quite simplistic with one bed, a mirror, a worn-out closet and a table. Yet the room includes many objects here and there; rugged clothes hanging from a string, a wooden bucket filled with somewhat dirty water, ropes going trough the walls, a rusty bell on the table, torrid flowers on the window sill and an extinguished candle beside the bed.

The sun shine reflects from the window to the wall mirror and again straight to Eishi's eyes. He’s about to wake up in. He slowly stirs his eyes as the brightness disturbs him. Eishi rubs his eyes. He almost jumps off the bed and accidently overturns the candle. He swiftly picks up the wooden bucket.

CUT TO

A number of fast cuts: Eishi takes a shower by pumping water trough a wooden aqueduct into a bucket and pours water over himself. He cleans his teeth with a wetted piece of coral. He takes gloves from the string in his room and wooden shoes from his closet. Finally he takes a sip of an unknown drink from a mug and is about to leave the apartment. At the front door he hears SNORING (Yoko's grandma). Eishi HEAVES A SIGH and slowly opens the front door. Red light breathes in."

TO BE CONTINUED...

Having written this, I see now the importance of the sketches and especially storyboard. There's details after details, and it's truly frustfrating to write em all down.

EDIT: Soon to be edited; too much 'wooden' and Eishi really doesn't dress up completely.

Post last edited by Azhur on 04.07.2005, 04:23 AM.

04.06.2005, 08:40 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Azhur
Tanuki

It may seem strange to talk about ending at this point, but this is one of the clearest ones in my mind.

The Ending

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9933516/

Before the ending Yoko and Eishi got seperated, but at the very end they're back together. That particular house (again not my crafted) is Eishi's actual home. What the picture doesn't show that it's actually a modern house, though the story has been before set in a medieval world. Yoko and Eishi make their last bittersweet goodbyes.

This indicates that whole journey between Yoko and Eishi could have been only "third person's" imagination. There might have actually been an average kid gotten into a coma and (s)he is about to pass away as an elder. The journey from Floating Town to Eternal Permafrost actually symbolizes his/her final expedition to confront death and to meet his already deceased parents.

Yet after Eishi has entered the house, the story continues. Formless' latest form was a frozen statue -- now having completed his task (bring Eishi home) Formless finally gains an angelic form. Formed grabs depressed Yoko with him/her and flies back to Floating Town.

A long scene showing Yoko returning to FT with Formless help. Yoko's feelings vary between melancholy and sadness.

The floating town itself has stayed unchanged, but Yoko isn't herself anymore. She's developed into a more serious person. It's raining heavily in FT. A long distance shot showing Yoko crying to her grandma's shoulder (her parents are still absent).

Yoko is in Eishi's room and sits on his bed while glancing over the room. Rain pours heavily to the lone window. Yoko starts to rest on the bed and finally falls asleep.

Yoko's dream Sequence: compare to Eishi's dream sequence -- there are several differences.

- This time it's grim and raining
- Instead of going to the Sun she goes for the full Moon
- The dream continues in pitch blackness with these Eishi's whispered words:
"We'll meet again."

---------------------------------------------------

The Ending Titles:

As said before the Floating Town wanders all the same places where Eishi and Yoko visited trough generations. Finally Floating Town halts into a massive piece of ice and freezes into its position.

Post last edited by Azhur on 04.12.2005, 04:06 AM.

04.08.2005, 08:23 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Your story seems to be quite mature. The whole idea is pretty good. There are a few points that I cannot follow. But after all I have only read the beginning and the end of the story.

So are you going to draw some sketches or storyboards?

04.09.2005, 03:20 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Azhur
Tanuki

quote:
Your story seems to be quite mature. The whole idea is pretty good. There are a few points that I cannot follow. But after all I have only read the beginning and the end of the story.

What points exactly you don't understand? There might be a whole bunch of them.. and if you can find any errors or contradictions, please inform me.

quote:

So are you going to draw some sketches or storyboards?

Very hard to say. They would help me improving and evolving the story, but then again I'm quite a lousy drawer when compared to the average of my age. Maybe the real question would be following: is it worth it?

Post last edited by Azhur on 04.09.2005, 05:40 AM.

04.09.2005, 05:39 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks