QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - PAPRIKA!!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » PAPRIKA!!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  PAPRIKA!!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Paprika (????, Papurika?) is a Japanese animated science fiction film, based on Yasutaka Tsutsui's 1993 novel Paprika, about a female detective who investigates criminal cases by entering the dreams of her subjects. The film was directed by Satoshi Kon, animated by Madhouse Studios and produced and distributed by Sony Pictures Entertainment. Paprika has been hailed as the greatest animated film ever by some!!!

http://www.sonyclassics.com/paprika/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika_%28film%29

i think it looks really gd!

your thoughts??

does anyone know when it comes out in the UK??? i wanna see it lol

05.23.2007, 11:34 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've not seen it myself, but my friend has. I think he said it was pretty good.

05.23.2007, 11:36 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I Love Satoshi Kon.
Its on my top three have to see anime..
along with:
Tekkon Kinkreet
Byousoku 5cm

05.23.2007, 12:43 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Kanta
Warawara

Registration Date: 05.26.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kanta Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kon's Tokyo God Fathers is a kind of heart warming story and everyone can enjoy it. I also enjoyed it much.
However talking about Paprika, it isn't easy to follow the story. Paprika and Millennium Actress and Perfect Blue have some similarity in their composition . I believe Paprika is the best in these 3. We can enjoy its awesome imagination and fantastic world. We can see quite different way from American full CG animations like Pixer or so. Kon says that his movie may select audience. But I'm sure many of guys here surely can enjoy Paprika. You must watch it when english sub comes out..

Our member Wushu4ever (Peter) writes an article about Japanese DVD.
http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/010173.html

Official site in Japan is here.
http://www.sonypictures.jp/homevideo/paprika/index.html

[IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3602/paprika3jz5.jpg" border=0>[/IMG] [IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9207/paprika01kv1.jpg" border=0>[/IMG]

Post last edited by Kanta on 06.24.2007, 12:09 PM.

06.15.2007, 01:40 AM Kanta is offline   Profile for Kanta Add Kanta to your buddy list
E_Hakki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.29.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by E_Hakki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, I'm waiting for this one. Besides Ghibli, I'm not much of a follower of anime, but Satoshi Kon really has impressed me (particularly with Millennium Actress).

http://rapidshare.com/files/119113404/My..._Comic.rar.html
Imouto He Scans -
http://rapidshare.com/files/120625788/Imouto_He.rar.html
Le Roi Et L'Oiseau English Subs -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J732GAHR
Original Mononoke Story in English -
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8A2YGU6

06.20.2007, 06:55 PM E_Hakki is offline   Profile for E_Hakki Add E_Hakki to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Paprika is premiering in the UK at the 27th Cambridge Film Festival at 23:00 on Tues July 10. Details in my "Earthsea" thread on the Ghibli forum.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.24.2007, 06:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saw it yesterday.

Stunning.

Utterly, utterly, totally, mind-bendingly beautiful.

Gorgeous images, great characters (males and females have gorgeous faces), turny twisty plot, nice touches of humour and just awesome all round.

One of the finest anime I have ever seen. I think it ranks up there with "Place Promised" as simply a wonderful movie experience.

There is one very brief scene near the end where a relationship is suddenly revealed between two of the characters and its done so beautifully and so touchingly that one moment I was following the action and 2 or 3 seconds later there were tears pouring down my face and then again 5 seconds after that the action picked up again.

Talk about an emotional roller coaster.

If you thought "Perfect Blue" and "Millenium Actress" messed with your mind and perceptions this is a whole order of magnitude greater.

Just masterful.

As the credits rolled I felt like I'd just finished 90 minutes in the best theme park ride on the planet.

Go see it.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.11.2007, 04:51 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

....Yeah, basically ditto what saddles just said.

Plus I love the high-energy pulsating theme tune on the opening credits....."get me the sound-track, along with the DVD of Paprika" when its released here in the UK!

I would rate this mind-blowing anime 10 out of 10, the quality of it is outragous...Wow!

07.11.2007, 05:55 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

woo go paprika

07.12.2007, 12:25 PM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I am so glad I decided to read the papers today, because I just found out that tomorrow is the opening day of PAPRIKA!!!!!

It's a good year, this has been. TokiKake was out last month, and now Paprika. Who knows. hopefully in a few months' time, even Byousoku 5cm will premiere here as well.

Sigh... wonderful days... *sob* I am SO gonna drag my friends into watching this. They can't complain, they totally dig my recommendation of watching TokiKake, no reason to dismiss my taste this time round.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.18.2007, 11:33 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, I heard of this, not sure how long ago..(I think I first heard the title last year.)
I'd like to watch it then.^^

07.18.2007, 01:48 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
I am so glad I decided to read the papers today, because I just found out that tomorrow is the opening day of PAPRIKA!!!!!

Have fun! I just know it is so gonna blow you away! The directing is masterful.

07.18.2007, 06:05 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fuji
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fuji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This movie was wonderful. Anything by Kon, Hayaoo, Oshii, and Otomo are pretty much a must see.

His other work of the top of my head
Perfect Blue
Paranoia Agent
Melenium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers.

08.02.2007, 12:08 AM fuji is offline   Profile for fuji Add fuji to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Paprika on Tuesday.

It was very thought-provoking, very artistic with a very deep plot. And I can very much understand how it qualifies as an art film rather than anime, and deserves to win all the awards. Excellent directing, art, storyflow, plot.

But to be honest, I wouldn't call it a mind-blowing film. To be frank, I'd rather watch it on TV than the cinema. Sorry, but I just had that feeling when I saw it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great film, incredible, and I don't deny that. But I wouldn't call it spectacular.

PS: I saw Byousoku5cm Aren't you guys jealous?

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.03.2007, 12:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller PS: I saw Byousoku5cm Aren't you guys jealous?

Yeah, yeah, shuddup already!

You also got to see Toki-Kake too this summer so you're not high on my nice people to know list at the moment.

My RP character might come by and drop a firecracker in your school bag, you rat!

Post last edited by Saddletank on 08.03.2007, 05:07 AM.

08.03.2007, 05:05 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Cabooseshero
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cabooseshero Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

They had it in my town for 3 days and I was fortunate to catch a showing of it. Paprika is by far Satoshi Kon's best work. Don't get me wrong I love all of his films but this one is the most memorable. Now has anyone heard when it's coming out on dvd?

08.15.2007, 03:21 PM Cabooseshero is offline   Profile for Cabooseshero Add Cabooseshero to your buddy list Send an Email to Cabooseshero AIM Screenname: MSN: Cabooseshero@cableone.net
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey, they were talking bought this one and that cherry blossom one in the magazines my mom bought me..interesting..

08.15.2007, 07:13 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
I saw Paprika while I was in New York.
Honestly, I didnt thin it was that amazing.
It was good, and I liked the underlying story, though it couldnt have been a little less technical (in my opinion).
I just felt that, opposed to other Kon movies, the colours and the craziness distracted from the movie.
It was too crazy. Often it went well, like the comedy moment when he rescued the girl...
but often, although I understood what was happening, I was going WTF??
I liked Tekkonkinkreet better.
It wasnt amazing aither, but better.
And very interesting.

08.24.2007, 07:17 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I'm almost definitely never gonna see this in the cinema, but it looks like Play.com is releasing it in one months time. And after some of the reviews you guys have given it, it's a must see.

08.24.2007, 07:21 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by JRR ).
I just felt that, opposed to other Kon movies, the colours and the craziness distracted from the movie.
It was too crazy. although I understood what was happening, I was going WTF??

I think I enjoyed it because I managed to (just) understand it as it was happening. In the very beginning when the small doctor in glasses first starts talking weird I knew straight away what was going on so that scene I found really effective. I thought "damn, that's cool, such a good way to give an outward sign of what is in his head."

And all the loud colourful parade type scenes I was okay with.

Neither Perfect Blue, nor Millenium Actress 'connected' with me first time around so I liked them less - they just confused me. But this one not only pressed all the right visual buttons but the mental ones too.

I wish I could see it on the big screen again but it seems anime in the UK only ever comes to Film Festivals (except the last three Ghiblis).

08.24.2007, 08:29 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2  3  4  5    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks