QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recommendations
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Recommendations » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2  3    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  RecommendationsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey any recs out there for something to watch next? i wouldnt mind something a bit lighter, but any recos are appreciated, i dont wanna do what i did last time i need a series to watch: which was going on anime galleries and randomly picking a series, but it did yield me my baseball name so i did enjoy that lucky pick.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.26.2007, 05:28 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

you could look in the "anime that really amde you laugh" thread. I got some fairly good recommendations there.

I'm told fooly cooly is very good, and Honey and Clover.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.26.2007, 08:32 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i might check that thread,

the thing i do when i watch an anime, is, and im sure ill get ripped for this is that i turn the volume down and play some other music and i just read the subs, for the anime club with full moon, as it has to do with music i cant really do this, but it is an interesting way of watching anime, plus i always randomly pick the music and they always fit the series perfectly.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.26.2007, 09:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gosh, that is odd. If something is funny I often laugh at the simple sound of the Japanese VA and not just the subs or images.

Having said that, and given our discussion on the 'endings' thread, Kare Kano might be good for you. You can certainly watch it on a 'light' level and just laugh at it, but it has other levels too should you want more (romance and angst).

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 05.27.2007, 05:17 AM.

05.27.2007, 05:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Honey and Clover!

Yeah, okay, I sound like a broken record, but it is a good anime and I reccomend it. Well, I reccomend watching it with the volume up But really, that series has become a lot of people's favourite series, for good reason. It's the kind of anime everyone needed - funny, realistic, serious, dramatic, believable. Better yet, a story about modern college kids that doesn't involve excessive alcohol/cellphone/partying.

Your volume habit is....interesting. For series like the one I Just reccomended, I can't imagine what I would've thought about it without hearing the voice actors, and the music, etc.

Post last edited by Theowne on 05.27.2007, 09:24 AM.

05.27.2007, 09:23 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah i know, i almost missed out on my fav genre of music by give rozen maiden the silent treatment. i love piano and violin, with brass in it, luckily i did download the ost.

and ill probably check out all the suggestions, so thanks everyone.

Click for Gallery^^

Post last edited by Miyrru on 05.27.2007, 11:27 AM.

05.27.2007, 11:26 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My post disappeared again. I think someone has a grudge against me of something.

If you haven't watched it, there's PitaTen if you like.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.27.2007, 09:49 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
I would watch FLCL, which is still my fave anime series...
but Music is of pretty big importance in there.. or at least, the music is amazing, so you shouldnt miss it.
So watch that... but with sound.

05.28.2007, 04:54 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

some i do watch with sound, its usually the ones with an english dub, but im glad that i get good suggestions here, its better than random picking.

Click for Gallery^^

05.28.2007, 03:19 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

And then there's Cardcaptor Sakura, eh, just for watching's sake. Just don't watch the "bastardized" version (basically just stick to japanese) and you'll be fine.

There's REC which is a light-hearted series. Fate/Stay Night if you're looking for some form of action. Full Metal Alchemist if you don't mind angst. Ghost Hunt is pretty new, but I don't think it's a problem for you. Kanon 2006 if you want some funny, romance and drama.

That's for relatively new stuff.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.29.2007, 01:40 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

What's REC? Also, those are pretty awesome recommendations. It's been ages since I saw any of CCS but I remember good things. FMA is really good and is one of those rare cases where the English dub actually suits the characters. And F/SN is supposed to be generally great.

05.29.2007, 11:37 AM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
kittycatjess
Totoro

Registration Date: 06.27.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by kittycatjess Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

try this site http://www.animenfo.com/animematch1.php
i use it alot when looking for new anime, you just tick boxes of what genre you like and it will match up an anime for ya based on your selections

05.29.2007, 01:34 PM kittycatjess is offline   Profile for kittycatjess Add kittycatjess to your buddy list Send an Email to kittycatjess
Ray15
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I get a magazine every month with new anime titles.
Freedom seems pretty OK. Black cat looks really cool. Gunbuster 2. I just randomly picked out some titles from a magazine, I'm not sure if all of them are new.

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

05.29.2007, 02:20 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

ill check out the site kittycatjess, i think i stumbled on there some other time but couldnt find it again.

i watched Jin Roh yesterday and all i can say is MEH.

it was good dont get me wrong, but it seems like it was just Akira and GITS put together. it didnt really strike me as fantastic.

Click for Gallery^^

05.29.2007, 03:27 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Thanks kittycatjess, a fun little toy to play with.

05.29.2007, 03:48 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

REC is a light romance story about a budding voice actress and a commercial production worker. Apart from the little sex scene in the first episode, it's pretty much clean.

I don't recommend Black Cat, despite the manga being rather good. The beginning and the ending pretty much sucks, and the middle is mediocre at best, even amongst other action shows in general.

@Sanfan: Yeah well, JinRoh is good in all the right ways FOR ME, and knowing me, ain't surprising that it doesn't go down well with others. But while I don't expect it to invoke any strong emotions (not that kind of movie), it should be right up the alley for anyone looking for good quality.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

05.30.2007, 12:32 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I tried that genre matchup thing. It's quite funny that it came up with a combination of things I've already seen and others that don't sound like my type of thing at all.

05.30.2007, 01:24 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

@ Roar, i can definitly see the quality in the film, it is very high. the music(i did listen to it this time) was phenomenal, it just fell a bit flat for me, maybe i need to just watch it again. same thing with Akira, but i did enjoy GITS on the first go.

Click for Gallery^^

05.30.2007, 03:18 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
@Sanfan: Yeah well, JinRoh is good in all the right ways FOR ME, and knowing me, ain't surprising that it doesn't go down well with others. But while I don't expect it to invoke any strong emotions (not that kind of movie), it should be right up the alley for anyone looking for good quality.

I think that.. if a movie (apart from Shinkai stuff) evokes emotion, its Jin Roh. The feelings of betrayal, love.. all those things.
I was completely involved in it at the time. more so than in some ghibli.

And the scene where he stands there, while they put the armour on him, and then when he puts the mask down and the Eye-lights go red. PURE pleasure.

It was like the moment in Satr Wars episode 3 when you hear Vader's breathing for the first time....
I love that movie. (Jin Roh-- and Star Wars III)

05.30.2007, 03:23 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

The scene that moved me the most deeply in Jin-Roh (apart from the ending) was where they are on the run and break into the tall building with the fairground/park on the roof and climb up there and spend the night there. There was such an awful sense of claustrophobia in that scene, a sense of complete loss and hopelessness, that things were going to end soon and not end well.

And that there was pretty much nothing either of them could do to change what was coming.

The scene itself really has nothing much in it except incredible tenderness between the man and the girl yet it left me feeling very depressed, I knew once this scene unfolded that their relationship was hopeless.

The other thing that made the movie special for me was the great period touches, the cars, the guns, the run down buildings, the feel of an oppressive Eastern bloc state. It all added up to a feeling of claustrophobia and paranoia that pervaded the whole story.

05.30.2007, 03:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks