QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recommendations
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Recommendations » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Long story short, a feeling of helplessness throughout the film. It's almost like the audience were made to feel how utterly helpless they really are. I watch the film and I just get, you know, a sinking feeling, like something tying me down.

But feelings and personal preference apart, JinRoh is the perfect example of why Production IG is THE best when it comes to character design. When they get serious, their facial designs and expressions are by far the closest to reality than any other animation company can ever hope to achieve, and that's saying something.

Btw, for those who have watched the movie, does anyone know what the ending theme song means? It's obviously some really foreign language (guessing german) and I've been dying to know what it means. It's just that beautiful a song.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.31.2007, 12:39 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i do understand what you mean, the best way i can describe or sum up the film is that its a hour and a half of Spirited Away's train ride. it had similar music and similar feelings that they were living a word of shadows. musically one of the best ive heard, but i never really listen to the music very often so im not that qualified.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.31.2007, 03:25 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller Btw, for those who have watched the movie, does anyone know what the ending theme song means? It's obviously some really foreign language (guessing german) and I've been dying to know what it means. It's just that beautiful a song.

Here's your answer. Or rather here isn't the answer depending which way you look at it...

http://www.dan42.com/jinroh/e/words.html#TheLostLyrics

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.31.2007, 05:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well that explains a lot. Figured Yoko Kanno as the composer. In the Escaflowne movie, Sora was thought of as Ancient Greek or something, they even had a rough translation of it. Now though, I'm not too sure.

Still, it's a pretty damn beautiful song. Takes a genius to come up with that sort of lyrics.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.01.2007, 12:28 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yoko Kanno did a lot of the music on GITS SAC. And that's pretty damn amazing too.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.01.2007, 04:34 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

At least that one is known to be Latin. Or something.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

06.02.2007, 12:56 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I was wondering about that. Some of it sounds Russian to me.

06.02.2007, 03:37 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know if anyones already reccommended it to you but I really enjoyed Last Exile. You've probably already seen it.

07.01.2007, 04:16 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I was 50/50 about Last Exile. It was Ok but there was just something about it, I couldn't put my finger on it, that made me not like it a lot, if you understand.

I liked it a little and I really wanted to like it a lot (its a genre I love), but I couldn't.

The artwork was great, the character designs were beautiful, the complex backstories and histories of the characters was very good and you end up feeling sympathetic to them all...

But...

I dunno. First the CGI was weak I thought, the way the vanships turned and manouvered was just all wrong in terms of the laws of physics, it gave all the flying sequences an ugly awkward clunky feeling.

Second all the pyrotechnics and explosions were bland and samey. There was something wrong there.

Thirdly there was some very odd character interaction that just didn't make sense at all. I won't give spoilers but there is a well known kiss scene 2/3 of the way thru the series and I just had no idea at all why that was put in. It was too sudden, it had no follow on in terms of the relationship between the two characters involved.

Lavie herself moped about the Silvana for far too long after Claus' crash landing with Tatiana...

There were just too many oddities going on with the characters and they were all just a little cold for me, there wasn't enough warmth in their personalities.

The ending was terrible, almost meaningless after all the struggles to get to this 'place' we were told nothing about the advantages of completeing the struggle.

Maybe I missed something although I doubt I can drag up the interest to watch it a second time.

07.01.2007, 04:30 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
hey any recs out there for something to watch next? i wouldnt mind something a bit lighter, but any recos are appreciated.

I've been watching Read or Die recently. The 3-episode (90minute) OVA is superb and the follow-on 26ep TV series is just as good. It's quite inventive in it's "girls with superpowers" premise too, a bit different and with some nice dry humour.

I've also been watching Onegai Teacher which be warned is a bit ecchi in places but is much more entertaining than I at first thought it would be. Its a fairly easy to watch romance anime with a twist. The lead female is extremely cute too, a proper adult for a change and not a school kid with the body of an adult.

07.01.2007, 04:35 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

While I can't disagree with the ending being less than satisfying, Last Exile in general was quite within my taste. Never felt any disharmony or anything, and to be honest, aerophysics matter little in anime.

Meh.

Anyway, the Please! series is rather popular, and yes, definitely R-13 at least. A note on Onegai Teacher though, to really appreciate it's storyline, you need to ignore all ecchi scenes and the alien-comes-to earth factor. There you'll see the simple and VERY rarely used storyline; the romance of a younger guy and a much older woman.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.01.2007, 09:59 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I'm something of a nit-picker for realism, so the flying sequences really bugged me and were a major source of annoyance. You can use CGI to great effect to depict three-dimensional motion (GITS SAC 2GIG does it very well) so no excuses to not get it right. If aerial combat is going to be such a huge part of a storyline wouldn't it be wise to do it right?

I just thought there might be issues with too low a budget on Exile's CGI useage. It grated on me and felt a bit cheap.

As to Onegai, yeah, I'd picked up on that. As you know ecchi and H are not my thing at all, so I switch off to that, but after 7 episodes I've seen nothing bothersome so far, not even the beach scene seemed iffy to me. Given that a virgin teen boy is looking at a grown woman his behaviour and the way she was depicted (as from his POV) was fine.

The alien thing is almost irrelevant - I'd spotted that essentially it is a student-teacher affair. However the adult seems as clueless in her social development as her student. I suspect this is due to her being an alien (or rather her being an alien is a device to have her as an innocent person rather than a worldly person). So, so far to me it's not striking me as an adult-child relationship at all, since the adult is as much a child as the child.

If she were not a virgin and had experience then I think it would fall into the child-adult relationship genre. As it is, it doesn't.

I think this would be another good one for the anime club to watch, its short too.

What I like about Mizuho is that physically she is quite believable (a bit too curvy maybe) but generally she's a little plump and Botticelli-inspired rather than the stick-thin tall super girl characters we so often see. The school teacher side of her is quite believeable, her clothing, her mannerisms, its all quite a homely comfortable motherly image and I think that's part of her strong appeal - even though inside she's still a child.

She reminds me a lot of a couple of teachers I had when I was about 12/13 - not so much physically but her general demeanour and that sense of calm authority she gives.

It was also nice during ep6 to see one of the other boys get together with one of the other girls to form a second couple rather than have ALL the girls chasing one guy which gets predictacble in anime and usually ends as simply plain annoying.

The male lead isn't such a clueless dope either as they are in harem anime (Keitaro in Love Hina really wound me up); Kei here knows whats what and whats going on and makes some mature decisions. Which is refreshing.

Oh, and Maho? Grrr, I hope her matter transfer goes wrong and she ends up reduced to her component molecules drifting around some sun somewhere. Annoying little brat.

07.01.2007, 12:13 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I found my series, im watching sola, definitly liking this series, and its very sigmaker-friendly. lots of great shots, and it is ongoing still so thats always good.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.01.2007, 12:19 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Not heard of it; what's it about (basically)

07.01.2007, 03:28 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Well ive only seen teh first ep, and read the wiki article so basically:

its about Yorito, this kid who loves taking pictuers of the sky, he meets the girl in the sola sigs ive made, Matsuri who is a yaka, she cant go in directly light, and she is being hunted by this guy, who wants to kill her.

it seems really interesting, as it is a romance story i believe, i have enjoyed the first ep, and will keep watching, there are 11 eps so far, as teh series is still on going.

Click for Gallery^^

07.01.2007, 04:18 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That sounds interesting. I think I'll look into it just after I finish this post.

I have pretty much the same opinion about last exile as Roarkiller. Oh and even though the ending wasn't great, it definitely did have meaning. I mean for starters the war was over and the climates returned to normal. Those two are pretty significant. Also, I thought the CG was just fine. Not perfect, but still good for 4 years ago. I'm also a sucker for anything that resembles submarine type warfare so meh...I loved the series. And the story between Dio and Luciola was both great and warm. But that's enough of that.

I don't think I'll ever watch Onegai anything. Ecchi bothers me more than bad CGI bothers Saddletank.

07.01.2007, 10:58 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'll be back in England soon after my gap year but only a few months before uni. Can any of you reccommend some really good series to splurge my money on before I don't have any. To be honest I havn't seen many series so any help in pointing me in the right direction would be great. Thanks

07.03.2007, 05:07 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

I'm currently watching Shakugan no Shana, and is turning out to be a pretty good watch. It's supposed to be an action/comedy genre, but I dare say the romance relationships are bigger than either, from the looks of it.

The special was just released, and there's a movie and 2nd season on the way.

Still, Full Metal Alchemist should keep you occupied for a while. It's got a nice deep story, and still peppered with enough action and comedy to keep the average watcher interested.

And then there's Azumanga Daioh, but everyone knows that

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

07.04.2007, 12:04 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

well, now that i am done sola i am out of anime to watch and im not a fan of that, im bored.

im kinda in a fantasy mood, i dont wanna devout the time to a SEL or Paranoia Agent, any recs are appreciated.

Click for Gallery^^

08.22.2007, 04:44 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Read or Die

08.22.2007, 05:06 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks