QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Most moving scene in a Ghibli Film » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
Lupin
Calcifer

Registration Date: 04.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Lupin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i dunno about you lot but i find My Nieghbours the Yamadas moving aswell! it just ordinary family life and so i can relate to it with things that have happen to me and my family. its funny, heart warming and moving. i find many scenes from that film moving but one of my favourites is when Nobouru gets a phone call from a girl

also scenes from kikis delivery service moved me - when she lost her powers but the scene when she takes shelter in the train because the storm is too strong i find that one of the most moving scene in kikis

i really love trains lol especially in movies lol

very moving

06.09.2007, 04:56 AM Lupin is offline   Profile for Lupin Add Lupin to your buddy list
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I havn't seen Yamadas but it's on my list of must buy films.

Another scene that's just come to my mind is in Porco Rosso. When he's telling the young girl (forgotton her name :S) about the dog fight. What really stuck in my mind was all the planes flying in the sky together. Maybe I've not understood the scene but to me it was like a depiction of heaven for fallen pilots.

It was actually my friend who pointed this scene out to me but when we watched it together he was really moved by this. He said: 'these Ghibli films have something special that I can't describe, but are rare in modern day cinema.'

I think he had a point

06.09.2007, 12:17 PM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
stardust
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by stardust Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

for me there were many special moments in most of ghibli movies. but the most touching ones would be the train scene of spirited away and the scene where Zeniba gives a hair tie to Chichiro and says that it would protect her cause it's made from the threads wove by her friends

oh and yeah its my first message here so hello everyone

06.09.2007, 02:42 PM stardust is offline   Profile for stardust Add stardust to your buddy list
PlasticMedia
Calcifer

Registration Date: 02.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PlasticMedia Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'd have to say the most moving ghibli scene is the one in Laputa where Pazu is imprisoned, Sheeta tells him to leave and he walks back home. I've never actually cried but that is one of the only parts where my eyes get moist.

06.09.2007, 03:42 PM PlasticMedia is offline   Profile for PlasticMedia Add PlasticMedia to your buddy list Send an Email to PlasticMedia
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ok, a couple from Whisper that get my tear ducts working:

Well it's one long scene really but it has two parts.

1) The night before Seiji is leaving for Italy and he goes to the library and finds Shizuku studying there. He quietly gets a book and sits opposite her but doesn't disturb her. After a while she notices this person opposite and looks up and sees him. He tells her to keep on working, he doesn't want to disturb her. She returns to her work with this angelic blissful smile on her face. Its just perfect, a perfect scene, full of a simple undemanding love.

Remember also it was in the library that Seiji first saw Shizuku a long time ago and that made him start taking out the fairy tale books she liked to read so that she'd find his name on the cards.

Notice also this is a symbol of what is to follow in the next two months while he's away. He is in her life now but not disturbing her and letting her get on with her work (i.e. her writing). It's a subtle scene and designed to work two ways.

2) Right after this when he says good bye and he holds out his hand and she takes it. Just as they are holding hands a car comes round the bend in the road behind him up the Iroha-Zaka slope and the headlights illuminate their held hands.

Notice that they are standing outside the shrine which is the same shrine (called Kompira-Guh) where Sugimura told Shizuku he loved her.

No to one boy, yes to the other. At the same shrine where she rejected him, Shizuku accepted Seiji. Its a great, almost poetical connection and balance, a yin and yang thing.

By this time I'm crying, every time. Its such a sweet scene, beautifully crafted, every detail in it has meaning.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.09.2007, 04:40 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Omis
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can I I just say that was a wonderful reply from Saddletank. I confess WoTH is a Ghibli film that I've always liked but it's never been a fave. That analysis of the scenes was really impressive. When I get back from India I'll watch it more carefully. thanks

06.10.2007, 09:56 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Ok, a couple from Whisper that get my tear ducts working:

Well it's one long scene really but it has two parts.

1) The night before Seiji is leaving for Italy and he goes to the library and finds Shizuku studying there. He quietly gets a book and sits opposite her but doesn't disturb her. After a while she notices this person opposite and looks up and sees him. He tells her to keep on working, he doesn't want to disturb her. She returns to her work with this angelic blissful smile on her face. Its just perfect, a perfect scene, full of a simple undemanding love.

Remember also it was in the library that Seiji first saw Shizuku a long time ago and that made him start taking out the fairy tale books she liked to read so that she'd find his name on the cards.

Notice also this is a symbol of what is to follow in the next two months while he's away. He is in her life now but not disturbing her and letting her get on with her work (i.e. her writing). It's a subtle scene and designed to work two ways.

2) Right after this when he says good bye and he holds out his hand and she takes it. Just as they are holding hands a car comes round the bend in the road behind him up the Iroha-Zaka slope and the headlights illuminate their held hands.

Notice that they are standing outside the shrine which is the same shrine (called Kompira-Guh) where Sugimura told Shizuku he loved her.

No to one boy, yes to the other. At the same shrine where she rejected him, Shizuku accepted Seiji. Its a great, almost poetical connection and balance, a yin and yang thing.

By this time I'm crying, every time. Its such a sweet scene, beautifully crafted, every detail in it has meaning.

yeah that was good analysis, and i can see why. WOTH is his baby, he knows the thing inside and out. im still a train scene SA guy, and i dont plan on switiching, but you do state your argument, and prove it. makes other people recognize the other less obvious choices.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

06.10.2007, 10:42 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I jst love the whole feeling of WotH.
Theres so many scenes that, in terms of animation touch me.
Things that ina normal movie, happen, but in an anime often go unnoticed because they are too everyday.
I love it when she pushes him up the hill... and the jacket fgalls off.
Love it.

06.10.2007, 10:55 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyaka
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.06.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyaka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghibli films have a great talent in capturing the everyday occurences and putting them in a new light. Things I took for granted when I was growing up and now remember as the happiest. Ghibli takes these moments in his movies to stop and think about the story. I love all of those moments, they show Miyasaki's artistic ability coming out. In Tango there are times that we stop and lean close maybe sway in the moment of the music. these moments when we pause in the music bring life to the dance and life to the music. the same goes to ghibli films, when it gives a quiet moment and shows the characture in quiet thought. I love all these moments. Kiki listening to music at the begining of the movie, Chihiro looking around outside the bath house seeing the train, Sophie looking out the hat shops window and seeing howls castle. I love all these moments.

06.10.2007, 11:44 AM Miyaka is offline   Profile for Miyaka Add Miyaka to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love Whisper too. That's why I picked it for my answer. Unfotunately, I've only seen it once so I haven't been able too look into it as far as Saddles. Though I doubt that if I watched it everyday for the rest of my life I'd be able to look into it as far as Saddles.

quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
i dunno about you lot but i find My Nieghbours the Yamadas moving aswell! it just ordinary family life and so i can relate to it with things that have happen to me and my family. its funny, heart warming and moving.

I think this is a great answer. Expecting answers like this library scene, that train scene, Yamadas is a nice surprise. Not to mention the fact that this is a good point: while many Ghibli scenes are moving in the sheer beauty of the story, the animation and the subtle pieces making up the picture, Yamadas is moving in such a different way: it is natural, believable, simple and above all possible to happen within the next day of your life, making it clever, funny and giving you that warm fuzzy feeling deep inside.

06.11.2007, 12:19 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sorry to mention it again but for me Whisper is almost like a poem or a piece of really good music. It works on so many levels and has so much symbolism in it, layers and layers of stuff. The whole movie is just one long connected string of perfect scenes and moments.

I think its about time I wrote up a proper discussion about it for my blog, a series of articles maybe.

There's scenes in almost all Ghibli movies that affect me to one extent or another. None of them is weak, all of them contain something moving or wonderful.

There are even quite simple scenes in movies like Totoro or Kiki that affect me. Tombo stood waiting outside the bakery for ages in the rain for example - such a sad scene.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.11.2007, 05:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Momoko234
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.23.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Momoko234 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Two many scenes too list xDD

Spirited Away: The train scene is indeed quite an inovative scene. It's insane, but the emotions are buried too deeply within me to describe *cries in a corner*

And, also, the scene where Lin and Chihiro are scene sitting on the cat-walk outside of their room, peering out onto the sea and the train is seen, and Lin gives her monologue. Many scenes...

Laputa: That whole movie is a heart-wrenching, touching moment. I think that one, though based on Gulliver's Travels, may even go deeper than some of Miyazaki's more Japanese culture-entwined ones.

But the scene I think most touching is where Mooska begins to blow Sheeta's braids off with his gun, but she stands tall despite that fact, and the inspirational music in the background adds to that too xDD

xDD ok that's it for me <33333333

06.23.2007, 12:48 PM Momoko234 is offline   Profile for Momoko234 Add Momoko234 to your buddy list AIM Screenname: YukiXSohma8899
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Ho Momoko, nice to have you here. Welcome!

I agree with you on Laputa. I like that tender moment when Sheeta climbs up the ladder to the look-out post atop the Tiger Moth, and gets in with Pazu, and she's freezing cold and he invites her under the poncho to keep warm. So cute.

There is this very short moment, only a couple of seconds where she's rubbing her arms to keep warm and he looks at her and you can see in the expression on his face the kindness there, as he prepares to offer her the warmth of the poncho.

In those couple of seconds I think he might have other feelings for her too, stronger ones, and this is maybe the first time he's having them.

Its such a lovely moment.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.23.2007, 01:00 PM.

06.23.2007, 12:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Omis
Tanuki

Pleasure to meet you Momoko

This isn't exactly a scene but an aspect of Ghibli films as a whole that I love and find moving.

In virtually every film characters express their felings for one another, romantic or otherwise. I won't list examples as you know them yourselves. However, they never go overboard and turn trivial. To elaborate I mean that most other films often have a sexual element in characters realationships to get the viewing ratings up.

Ghibli films, thank heavens, don't do this and focus on other forms of love such as: companionship, romantic, brotherly and sisterly affection etc. I'm not saying these are more or less complex, that's down to the viewers opinion, but it certainly makes a refreshing change for me.

06.24.2007, 05:35 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

My favorite scenes are listed:

Princess Mononke- At the end when you see san and Ashitaka saying goodbye!

Spirited Away-I agree with Momoko234, if not most of you. The train really is a moving scene, but I also like the scene when sen (now Chihiro... Uur,) is looking back at the "Portal/monument" like at beginning.

Just overall, their really good movies and they should all be recognized! so ya, wink wink

06.25.2007, 01:08 AM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ya so just for everyone, Im new here.!

06.25.2007, 01:11 AM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Welcome! Enjoy your stay!

06.25.2007, 03:52 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
J.L.Jones
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.24.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by J.L.Jones Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Don't know about you guys but when Satsuki and Mei deliver the corn that Mei picked saying "To Mother" in "My Neighbor Totoro" i thought that was quite touching since they were watching in the tree. I also like the scene in "Princess Mononoke" where Ashitaka protects San in the settlement from attack xD

Beyond The Black Moon Lies My Soul, Covered In The Shadows Of Time, I Dwell In The Comfort Of The Night

Rage Is Like A River, Hatred As Its Current Destroying Everything In Its Path...
This Beast That Lies Dormant Beneath The Exterior Feels Strong... It Feels Good... Watch It Rise To The Surface As My Blood Boils And Anger Engulfs My Very Soul

06.25.2007, 04:12 PM J.L.Jones is offline   Profile for J.L.Jones Add J.L.Jones to your buddy list Send an Email to J.L.Jones
rosie_cream
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.23.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rosie_cream Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

my faverite bit would have to be the credits of only yesterday....when the japanese version of the rose is playing and all the classmates running around and everything! so touching!!
Also, in the Cat returns, when the baron and the girl (cant' remember her name) were dancing....wow
In Wishper of the Heart, when Shizuku and seiji were talking in the top of the scool and shuzuku's classmates evesdropping...

sig by kittycatjess

sig by mpw3d...thanks!!

06.29.2007, 09:04 AM rosie_cream is offline   Profile for rosie_cream Add rosie_cream to your buddy list
Tanuki

Ya well, to me anyway... I like how you get not only small meaningful moments but also how the whole movie has a meaning to itself. I cant say. (I don't want to sound like a dork but...) I get happy and relaxed whenever I watch one...

06.30.2007, 12:58 AM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks