QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - NARUTO, INUYASHA, AND FRUITS BASKET
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » NARUTO, INUYASHA, AND FRUITS BASKET » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Theowne
quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
you don't need more than 26 eps to tell the perfect story - any more is a cash cow

I think I can assume you have never seen Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road. I would definitely rethink that one..

I just considered how many stunning series there are out there of only 12 or 13 eps, so give the writers the space to expand that to double and I don't think any story needs more. Of course when someone like me says something like I did, its always possible (and valid) to bring up 1 or 2 examples that disagree and I don't deny that you can have excellent anime that have long runs, however I think such series could be compressed into 26 eps and be as good if not better because of the compression. And there is a lot of "we need a few more $$$, quick, write another 10 eps now!" type shows around that just insult the viewers IHMO.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.16.2007, 04:41 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I dunno, to say that longer series are inherently bad kind of undermines the main difference between a short series and a long one, which is that long series have an advantage in being able to build more familiarity and closeness with characters/plot, moreso than short series can. That's not to say short series can't do the same, but it's clearly not to the same extent. To me this was a prime factor in the two series I listed above. It was also a strong factor in Honey and Clover, another great anime, which measures in at 38 episodes total, so it's not exactly the same.

However, that hasn't been explored enough, and most long anime are of the shounen-get money off young boys- variety. Doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with long series.

Post last edited by Theowne on 08.16.2007, 05:58 PM.

08.16.2007, 05:44 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I liked Naruto quite a lot to begin with actually. It had good episodes and a promising, if typical plot. However 30 or so episodes in, I basically started watching glimpes of each episodes and only watched the well structured episodes all the way through. I'm not really sure if I want to start watching the Shippuden episodes yet. I prefer the manga but it's nice seeing the action sequences animated.

Inuyasha bring up bad memories of wasted time. I'll say no more.

Fruits basket was a pleasant watch. It didn't blow me away but if you've got time on your hand, it's something to watch. Again, I like the manga much more.

As for the longer animes out there, the thing is, a lot of them, especially the well-known ones tend to fall apart after a certain time and it seems like the creators have too much time and aren't sure what to do with it. There are more than a few exceptions however.

08.16.2007, 09:45 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Cardcaptor Sakura has 70+ episodes and was one of the most popular anime of all time.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.16.2007, 11:27 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Theowne
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If we're talking sheer popularity, Sazae-San has 1900+ episodes often marks the top anime program in Japan in terms of ratings...

Post last edited by Theowne on 08.16.2007, 11:36 PM.

08.16.2007, 11:35 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Popular doesn't necessarily equate to good. Popular may just be things like cleverly marketed.

26 eps is 10 hours. Considering most movies are a fifth of that or less and you can get emotionally wrecked by a good movie I don't buy the 'more eps = better developed plot or characters' argument.

The original Honey and Clover was 26 eps. There wasn't actually any need to make the next 12, while I'm told they are good episodes and its a good story, the story was told in 26 eps.

I'm still not convinced.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

08.17.2007, 07:52 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Theowne
Baron

quote:
Popular doesn't necessarily equate to good.

T'is why I said "If we're talking sheer popularity"

quote:
I don't buy the 'more eps = better developed plot or characters' argument.

I didn't say anything about character development, more that the viewer gains a better sense of closeness and familiarity with the characters and plot, as they become used to them for a longer period. Not every anime can achieve this affect as well, without becoming boring/repetitive, but there is evidence it can happen.

quote:
There wasn't actually any need to make the next 12, while I'm told they are good episodes and its a good story, the story was told in 26 eps.

? The story wasn't over, so they had to branch out into season 2, to continue. (It's adapted from a manga).

And even then, some of the story was compressed, especially at the end.

Post last edited by Theowne on 08.18.2007, 12:25 AM.

08.17.2007, 11:09 AM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Theowne beat me to it.

Season1 of HnC was barely concluded. In fact, it would be more accurate to say that HnC is one single season 38 eps long, rather than two seasons of 26 and 12 each.

And yes, popularity does not define quality. If it does, anime like Pokemon, Dragonball and Doraemon deserve Oscar awards.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

08.18.2007, 12:05 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Theowne beat me to it.

Season1 of HnC was barely concluded. In fact, it would be more accurate to say that HnC is one single season 38 eps long, rather than two seasons of 26 and 12 each.

And yes, popularity does not define quality. If it does, anime like Pokemon, Dragonball and Doraemon deserve Oscar awards.

I LIKE POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08.21.2007, 02:04 AM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
Fangirl<3
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.09.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Fangirl<3 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I`ve only seen InuYasha & Naruto on television & they are both one of my favorite animes.

09.10.2007, 07:27 AM Fangirl<3 is offline   Profile for Fangirl<3 Add Fangirl<3 to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  spoiler alertPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

go naruto!sasuke would be ok accept in the end he joins the akat-(avoids fling desk)ok!i wont give it away!sheesh...

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

09.27.2007, 12:30 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I love InuYasha and Naruto.
I wish I could watch Fruits Basket...
My fav. characters are Shikamaru, Naruto, Kyuubi (lol), InuYasha, Miroku, Sango, Shippo, Kagome and especially Kiarara.

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

09.27.2007, 11:27 PM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.25.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kakashi is Kool

10.27.2007, 10:49 PM ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ is offline   Profile for ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ Add ^_^PRINCEOFTHEDARKFLAMES^_^ to your buddy list
tamasaburo
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.05.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tamasaburo Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

naruto is great sasuke is gay

10.28.2007, 04:01 AM tamasaburo is offline   Profile for tamasaburo Add tamasaburo to your buddy list Send an Email to tamasaburo Homepage of tamasaburo
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

my sister says that.hes a jerk,as i have said.i think the inuyasha people should have given sango more personality.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

10.28.2007, 10:21 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
tariss-of-mar
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by tariss-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hear, hear, but I suppose she's cool the way she is.

I´m a supporter and user of Ubuntu (Linux)
Open source rules!

10.30.2007, 03:20 AM tariss-of-mar is offline   Profile for tariss-of-mar Add tariss-of-mar to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks