QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Ghost In The Shell
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Ghost In The Shell » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
J.L.Jones
Warawara

Registration Date: 06.24.07
  Ghost In The ShellPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by J.L.Jones Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Was i the only one bored to hell with this?!?! I was told it is an incredible film but 10 mins in and i fell asleep!!!

Beyond The Black Moon Lies My Soul, Covered In The Shadows Of Time, I Dwell In The Comfort Of The Night

Rage Is Like A River, Hatred As Its Current Destroying Everything In Its Path...
This Beast That Lies Dormant Beneath The Exterior Feels Strong... It Feels Good... Watch It Rise To The Surface As My Blood Boils And Anger Engulfs My Very Soul

07.23.2007, 12:12 PM J.L.Jones is offline   Profile for J.L.Jones Add J.L.Jones to your buddy list Send an Email to J.L.Jones
Snakebite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Snakebite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It depends on what you like, I personally didn't think much to it either. It probably could of done with a better plot, you need to watch it a few times for it to make sence.

07.23.2007, 04:42 PM Snakebite is offline   Profile for Snakebite Add Snakebite to your buddy list Homepage of Snakebite
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

anything from those sorts of films takes about 2 time thorought to get.

Akira took 2 to sink in and for me to appreciate

GITS was once and i enjoyed it

Jin Roh took once and then some stewing on it.

all in all they are very well put together and dare i say the pinnacle of anime. i would put those three at the top in no particular order.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.23.2007, 05:43 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The first GITS movie was excellent, very interesting premise, great artwork, excellent use of CGI, fair to middling plot, a wee bit of fanservice but on the whole very good indeed - quite a cerebral ending, quite philosophical. The second GITS movie was a bit too much up its own arse I thought, took itself a bit too seriously and was a bit too clever graphics wise, but still nice to watch. Some superb fight scenes though.

I didn't like the first GITS SAC TV series much howeevr I'm now watching the second and enjoying it a LOT more. There's one main plot running through the whole series which works better and there's more emphasis on the human condition within the cyborg world which is a fascinating question on its own.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 07.23.2007, 06:10 PM.

07.23.2007, 06:10 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by J.L.Jones
Was i the only one bored to hell with this?!?! I was told it is an incredible film but 10 mins in and i fell asleep!!!

If you were looking for crash-bang action with hot girls and plenty of ha-ha, then of course you're gonna get disappointed.

The selling point of the movie, apart from the world-class CGI (at that time), was the deep philosophical storyline.

In other words, the audience is FORCED to think. Otherwise, you're just gonna see a shallow unworthy movie.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

07.24.2007, 01:06 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yeah, i tend to like philosophical-ness in film or books, im reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, and so far it is the best book i have ever read, and it forces me to think every page, i love it.

PS Roar, keep trucking Mr. Anomaly

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

07.24.2007, 04:41 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
filter
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by filter Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hey everyone whats up? i'm new here names filter yea ghost in the shell is sweet, u'm ive been a user on the madboards Australia for a couple of years now it is very similar to this but has a whole range if you would like to check it out it's

http://madboards.madman.com.au

07.30.2007, 08:15 PM filter is offline   Profile for filter Add filter to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi filter and welcome to the forums. Hope you enjoy your stay. Generally its rude to advertise other forums though, people are here because they like it, the place has its own unique feel and community and is small and cosy. Everyone is capable of finding other forums if they want to, so my advice is don't advertise.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.31.2007, 04:15 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
fuji
Kodama

Registration Date: 08.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fuji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I did not fully like Ghost in the Shell until the second time I saw it. Ghost in the shell has a lot of small plots and characters to follow each with very subtle contributions to the overall story. It takes a while to get used to the pace and style of Mamoru Oshii films.

Ghost in the shell is one of the best film presentations of the concepts introduced by sci-fi classic literature like Neromancer. The directors of the Matrix trilogy were inspired heavily by this film.

Love it or hate it this film is a cornerstone in animation history.

I also realy like his live action movie Avalon which had similar concepts but was not as big of budget.

I've found Mamoru Oshii likes to make political thrillers a lot and I am not a big fan of that genera so his movies like Wolf Bergade may shock you because they are so different from his heavily tilted sci-fi themes.

Post last edited by fuji on 08.02.2007, 12:32 AM.

08.01.2007, 11:54 PM fuji is offline   Profile for fuji Add fuji to your buddy list
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

thats nicely put

i whatch the show but i don't usually have m,uch of an idea whats acually happan they talk all high techly about everything

08.02.2007, 12:26 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ghost in the Shell? Hmmmm..... Strange business.

Personally I've never understood what the fuss is all about. There's 2 movies isn't there. Innocense had Ghibli input from what I've read. I've only seen the first film. It was ok but way too over hyped. Never bothered with the series.

From that kind of genre I prefer Akira. I know its the cliche anime but it is a very good film. Akira is far superior plot wise to Ghost.

08.19.2007, 04:56 PM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Cronhole
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Cronhole Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the first Ghost in the shell film was class , but the second was ........how can i put it??..........Confusing as Hell the first time but the second time i was like "AH now i get it " ,god damn puppet master!!...

S.A.C is by far more enjoyable cause of the whole team, Kusanagi, Batoh, Togusa, Ishikawa, Saito, Pazu,Borma and Major, i like the squad thing they have going on

08.19.2007, 07:35 PM Cronhole is offline   Profile for Cronhole Add Cronhole to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Technically, there are three movies. Solid State Society is a DVD release only I believe, otherwise a TV screening.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

08.19.2007, 11:45 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

there is the first movie in 1995 or somthin inocence and the other one

08.19.2007, 11:56 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

After a huge break in watching the 2nd GIG (series) at about ep.9 I am back to watching it again. I stopped before because Real Life (tm) came along but also other anime and I wasn't quite in the mood for techy sci-fi anime. But the other day I bought Solid State Society and enjoyed it so much I started on 2nd GIG again.

I'm glad I did. I never ever would have thought GITS would bring a tear to my eye but ep.11 did "Affection". Its the story of how Batou and Mokoto met and it really touched me. Wonderful anime, awesome and very sad.

11.17.2007, 07:05 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
JanJosé
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JanJosé Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the end was a real anti climax i thought

11.30.2007, 07:18 AM JanJosé is offline   Profile for JanJosé Add JanJosé to your buddy list Send an Email to JanJosé
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

just wondering.
is it worth seeing?

11.30.2007, 08:29 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In a word, yeah. Sci-fi is just not my thing at all, but this is different as it addresses things like what is the mind, the soul, the human identity, the personality.

I've only watched the first movie but it totally gripped me, and I think it was well ahead of it's time when it was made. I think in deserves a place up there in the anime all time top ten list along with things like Akira, and Spirited Away.

11.30.2007, 08:34 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Try Freedom then. It's got the same style as Akira, and was pretty darn good when I saw it last week at the animation festival.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

11.30.2007, 09:01 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Only just recently re-watched this with my friends. Still as good as I remembered it. Being the psychological trip that it is, it's right up my street - much to the horror of my flat mates by the way. They're quite content with 'chick-flicks' and action films. Honestly, it aint a good thing unless some element of the human psyche is questioned.

You just don't get that in '40 days'. :/

Post last edited by frigidchill on 11.30.2007, 09:29 AM.

11.30.2007, 09:29 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks