QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - what's his name?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions what's his name? Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
what's his name?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

[ SIZE=2]I've watch the film many times but I still don't know the real name of haku! For me, haku is so handsome that I actually dream of me as an anime, so that we can be together. I hope you can give me the real name because I was so curious about it! thank you very much[/SIZE]

03.29.2004, 08:36 PM  
Terry
Kodama

Registration Date: 11.05.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Terry Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know it's said in the movie. It's...I can't remember. Sorry. ><

04.02.2004, 03:06 AM Terry is offline   Profile for Terry Add Terry to your buddy list
Ameria
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.02.04
  Eyes on youPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ameria Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That confused me. By 'real' name, do you mean the Kohaku River? Because that's what I thought you meant at first, but if you've seen the movie multiple times... if you've seen the movie once, I thought it would have been obvious. Speaking of names... I was watching the Japanese version of Spirited Away, and Lynn's name was Rin! I know about the Japanese switching R's and L's but it never ocured to me! I mean, maybe if her name hads been spelled Lin, I would'uve thought about switching it around, but... I'm going to call her Rin from now on! (Or maybe not, because then I might get her confused with Rin from Blade of the Immortal...) My favorite character from Spirited Away is Kamaji.

06.02.2004, 10:28 PM Ameria is offline   Profile for Ameria Add Ameria to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Nigihayami Kohakunushi. Or Kohakugawa, which is the name of the river saiby Chihiro.

@Ameria: Some ppl call her Lin. But ive never heard of anyone spelling it as Lynn tho.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 06.04.2004, 11:25 PM.

06.04.2004, 11:24 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Ameria
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.02.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ameria Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Really? Maybe I just made that part up... I could'uve sworn I read it spelled Lynn somewhere, in the English version of the artbook, or maybe online somewhere. Huh.

06.05.2004, 03:06 AM Ameria is offline   Profile for Ameria Add Ameria to your buddy list
HowlsFan
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HowlsFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

...I thought that his name was Kohaku...or maybe I just misheard or misread from fanfictions and a few comic strips. Sorry for this useless post.

02.12.2005, 08:41 PM HowlsFan is offline   Profile for HowlsFan Add HowlsFan to your buddy list Homepage of HowlsFan AIM Screenname: Armads YIM Screenname: Ninisgrace
rinrin
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.17.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rinrin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know about the Japanese version, but in the English version Chihiro specifically says that his name is the Kohaku River. It doesn't really sound like a name to me, but then again, he is a river spirit. ^_-

06.19.2005, 03:44 PM rinrin is offline   Profile for rinrin Add rinrin to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In the Japanese version Haku's full name is Nigihayami Kohakunushi. As it is written in Katakana, it is difficult to determine what it really means. But many people like to write Kohaku in kanji as 琥珀, which means amber.

06.19.2005, 07:45 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
project2501
Tanuki

Registration Date: 07.16.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by project2501 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

In the german version his name is Nigihayami Kohakunushi.

07.16.2005, 10:28 PM project2501 is offline   Profile for project2501 Add project2501 to your buddy list Send an Email to project2501 Add project2501 to your contact list
howl_chan_wa_kawaii
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.09.05
  Is Haku the best Ghibli boyfriend?Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by howl_chan_wa_kawaii Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Someone does and amazing analysis of what Nigihayami Kohakunushi means on her website:

http://sekaiseifuku.net/hakuname.html

Its worth checking out.

She has broken it down to mean "Master of the lively and swift-flowing small white river."

She also has a great top 10 list of why Haku is the best boyfriend here:

http://sekaiseifuku.net/hakuryuu.html

sekai no yakusoku.
- Promise of the World

-- Why did Chihiro have to let go of Haku's hand? Why Chihiro do you make me cry buckets of tears?... sob--

Please report pirated Ghibli/Disney products: tips@disneyantipiracy.com or the confidential Antipiracy voice mail hotline, 818-560-3300.
Please protect Mr. Miyazaki's works.

My Howl's MC viewing addiction - final theatre count: 11 showings

08.22.2005, 04:08 PM howl_chan_wa_kawaii is offline   Profile for howl_chan_wa_kawaii Add howl_chan_wa_kawaii to your buddy list Send an Email to howl_chan_wa_kawaii
nanashi
Ohmu

Registration Date: 01.27.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by nanashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in the myths of Japan, there is a god "Nigihayahi-no-mikoto".
(邇藝速日命)
therefore, I think that it is good using the same letter.
"Nigihaya"
(邇藝速)
"Nigi" mean wealthy, many, lively.
"haya" mean speady, vigor.
Haku seems to be god of river and so "mi" is "mizu" mean water.
(水)
"kohakunusi"
when Chihiro was young, she played at the river.
it is difficult to think that the river was big river.
so, "ko" mean small.
(小)
and, Haku is white dragon. "haku" mean white.
(白)
"nusi" mean master, god.
(主)

thats tha reason my opinion.
(邇藝速水小白主)

08.23.2005, 10:25 AM nanashi is offline   Profile for nanashi Add nanashi to your buddy list
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks