QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Recommendations
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Recommendations » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
boggie
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.01.07
  RecommendationsPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by boggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Guys/Gals,

This is my first post, I'm relatively new to anime but would like some ideas on good films to watch.

I have seen the following:

Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Monoke
Nausica
Laputa
Howls Moving Castle

I have got these but not watched them yet:

Porco Rosso
Appleseed
Ghost In The Shell

I like the fantasy style that Miyazaki does as its enchanting and facinating.

Can you recommend anything based on what I have said?

Thanks.

09.01.2007, 08:25 AM boggie is offline   Profile for boggie Add boggie to your buddy list Homepage of boggie
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Watch Ghost in the Shell soon. It's nothing like Miyazaki, but it's still really good. I got it recently and enjoyed it a lot.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. See all of Miyazaki's films, since that's what you like, and then see what else interests you.

09.01.2007, 08:30 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
boggie
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by boggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

where is the best place to find information on anime films, i find it hard to get any information.

i love miyazaki movies but there are a few that dont really interest me.

what i like about his work is the fantasy of it.

09.01.2007, 08:34 AM boggie is offline   Profile for boggie Add boggie to your buddy list Homepage of boggie
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey and welcome to the Tavern.

quote:
where is the best place to find information on anime films, i find it hard to get any information.
I just began my anime career by Googling under search strings like "top ten anime lists" and came across a few random anime review sites that talked about stuff I didn't know, but I just kept googling and eventually certain movies and TV shows keep getting mentioned highly over and over again, so it becomes easy to find those that are universally recognised as good ones.

The Cat Returns, Kiki's Delivery Service and Lupin III Castle of Cagliostro are all Miyazaki movies and have good fun fantasy elements.

Steam Boy is very fun and fantasy based in a real world - it feels a lot like Howl or Laputa in places.

Of anime TV series that have fun and mostly not-too serious fantasy I'd recommend:

Read or Die (the OVA and the 26ep TV series)
Last Exile (26ep TV series)
FLCL (6ep TV - very strange and humorous in places)
Onegai Teacher (13eps) is a school romance with a difference, quite humorous.

As to Ghost in the Shell, the first movie is good as is the second TV series (called GITS SAC 2nd GIG). The second movie looks even more stunning than the first but takes itself a little too seriously, and the first TV series is weaker than the second IMHO. There is a third movie just out which I haven't seen yet.

Cowboy Bebop might also interest you (26ep TV series and a movie).

Personally I'm happiest watching romance anime or very deep weird mindbending puzzle type series, but of course pretty much anything Ghibli makes is also fine by me.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 09.01.2007, 08:41 AM.

09.01.2007, 08:34 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
boggie
Susuwatari

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by boggie Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

the cat returns looks a bit weird for me, thinking about it i may have kiki's delivery service and cagliostro somewhere but havent watched them, may check them out over the weekend.

thanks for the help so far, think there is alot there to get on with at the moment.

09.01.2007, 08:39 AM boggie is offline   Profile for boggie Add boggie to your buddy list Homepage of boggie
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Give The Cat Returns a shot. It's underrated.

Also, now I think about it, you might like Metropolis. It's a sci-fi anime that doesn't make you think too much.

09.01.2007, 08:42 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Animenfo and AnimeDB are two good places to start.

Anime films in general aren't produced that often, so the range is limited.

For recommendations, there's Tokyo Godfathers, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Spriggan, Akira, Like The Clouds Like The Wind.

Just to name a few.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.01.2007, 11:03 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Omis
Tanuki

Registration Date: 06.03.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Omis Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Boggie

Other reccomendations for you. Sorry if someone has already suggested these. I skimmed over the thread.

Neon Genesis Evangelion- If you havn't seen it already, do. It's not to everyones taste but its definetely a fave of mine and besides it is a classic in anime history

Cowboy Bebop- Not so deep in places but great fun to watch and the music is as good as it gets.

Ah My Goddess- A silly but very harmless romance series that I've always had a place for on my shelf

Hope this was some help.

09.01.2007, 11:51 AM Omis is offline   Profile for Omis Add Omis to your buddy list Send an Email to Omis
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I thought of NGE too but decided not to recommend it as it didn't fit Boggie's apparent likes of light fantasy/some humour/Miyazaki style.

But yeah, NGE is a "must see" once any anime fan's taste matures a little.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.01.2007, 11:54 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

YO!
Try
Places Promised in our early days
and the short: Voices from a distant star.
They really mess with your emotions and are amazing in the way of story telling. Very beautifully made.

09.01.2007, 05:37 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes do see Metropolis if you like light fantasy.. the only thing that put me off was the animation style.. i cant recall the directors name at the moment for some reason.. but its an astro boy style animation.

and dont be put off by any prejudices you might have against movies before you see them... it took me months to be bothered to put on porco rosso because i was hesitant about the main character being a pig.. but once i started i loved it.
same deal with Whisper of the heart.. but thats not miyazaki.

09.03.2007, 02:32 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
boggie
Susuwatari

i love miyazaki's work but i am really open to anything, i was using that as an example of what ive seen an really enjoyed.

yesterday i watched metropolis and akira, both were really good and i enjoyed them.

im getting a pile of my friend this week including, ninja scroll, macross plus, a tree of palme, street fighter 2, patlabor 1+2, ghost in the shell 1+2.

ill go through them and see what i enjoy. im quite into the futuristic sci-fi style now.

the only thing i dont like is anything that is just about ordinary people and situations, i the escapism that anime brings.

thanks for all the help so far and keep the recommendations coming.

09.03.2007, 08:03 AM boggie is offline   Profile for boggie Add boggie to your buddy list Homepage of boggie
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by boggie the only thing i dont like is anything that is just about ordinary people and situations, i the escapism that anime brings.

Avoid Whisper of the Heart then, its completely realistic. And I think you'll like Evangelion as well in that case, more escapism it wold be hard to find in one TV series.

09.03.2007, 08:11 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
boggie
Susuwatari

ive added alot of the recommendations to my list of films to watch. once i have a better feel for anime ill move onto some of the tv series as there are alot of those to choose from.

any recommendations on those apart from the ones mentioned earlier?

09.03.2007, 08:46 AM boggie is offline   Profile for boggie Add boggie to your buddy list Homepage of boggie
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

What, movies or TV series?

Well all of Satoshi Kon's work is amazing, stunning visuals and very twisty mind-bending plots:

Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers(different - humorous, and soon to be released on DVD Paprika. His TV series Paranoia Agent is amazing too.

I think Shinkai's "The Place Promised in our Early Days" which JRR mentioned above may appeal to you - its sci-fi set in an alternative (or parallel) modern-day Japan so has some interesting technology premises but its main storyline is a love-triangle romance. But even so its beautiful to look at and there is some great voice acting in the main characters.

I don't think my tastes cross over with yours as I'm not so much into escapism but more into mind-exercise and romance, but I found the movie "Wings of Honneamise" to be wonderful but others have commented that its too slow paced. But it certainly is escapist.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 09.03.2007, 09:31 AM.

09.03.2007, 09:31 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
boggie
Susuwatari

tv series please.

ive got a good list of movies to get through now thanks to all you guys.

09.03.2007, 09:45 AM boggie is offline   Profile for boggie Add boggie to your buddy list Homepage of boggie
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

now im in the large minority, but i really hooked myself on gundam wing.

ive heard lots of people bash it, but i cant see the reason it seems solid to me. it is a pretty good sci fi series, i still have about 13 eps left and a movie, so i still got a ways to go.

for another sci fi, i would recommend Stellvia of the Universe, it is a high school life set in space, it doeshave relationship stuff, but it has a number of action sequences and plot twists.

those are really the only two series i know that fit the bill hope i helped a bit.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.03.2007, 11:09 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

see the series Cowboy Bebop. It will change your view on the genre sci-fi.

09.05.2007, 05:32 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
boggie
Susuwatari

well my tastes have matured over the past few days thanks to you all, i now have a wide range of movies and a few tv series to enjoy, im liking the sci-fi ones like stellvia and cowboy bebop.

what are your views on Full Metal Panic?

Post last edited by boggie on 09.05.2007, 10:29 AM.

09.05.2007, 10:28 AM boggie is offline   Profile for boggie Add boggie to your buddy list Homepage of boggie
arren18
Administrator

Full Metal Panic? I know of it, but I know nothing about it. However, I know somebody that says it's his favourite anime.

09.05.2007, 11:59 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks