QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Gundam Wing
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Gundam Wing » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
sho
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've lived in so many places that....I'm not in danger of being drafted - partly because of my US citizenship. (I was born there/here)

The starry sky is twinkling again, this earth is exalted with tears.
The galloping time shines its light, and this world without you is my "FANTASY".

09.21.2007, 05:04 PM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i am a canuck and im not really in any danger of going to war, im in a country of peacekeepers. not to mention the US might protect us.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.21.2007, 05:06 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
sho
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This is veering off topic....Like really really far.

The galloping time shines its light, and this world without you is my "FANTASY".

09.21.2007, 05:13 PM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
well, as far as i know, i live in canada, we dont have a draft, and if i was drafted i would dodge it, unless i coudl pilot a giant robot, i wont be joining.

lol, back in the day you know people used to go TO Canada to dodge the draft. Where would you go to dodge a Canadian draft?

09.21.2007, 05:15 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hmm, good question, well id probably start up north, it is cold and empty, if you wanted too, one person could get lost in this country. as long as you dont attract attention. if i got the letter i owuld pack up and go, i should be able to escape. i think.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.21.2007, 05:17 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Supergaijin
I guess the reason a lot of people don't like it is because of all the war philosophy and politics talk. I liked it though. I especially enjoyed the choice of jazz music during some action scenes.

The philosophy and politics is the reason I did like the series. It's by far the best part, in my opinion, especially the short-lived case study on pacifism. I'd even say that if it weren't for the Gundams themselves being a deus ex machina solution to everything, GW would be worth studying in philosophy.

The jazz music and attention to space physics detail was nice. Kind of unconventional.

quote:
In wing it was just the male characters, with a bit of Heero-Relina. in seed, i like that there are the 4 girls, it leaves things more open ended due to more possibities.

You forgot the Noin-Zechs relationship! I liked that one, even though it was usually on the sidelines. Noin is too forgiving, though. She lets him get away with too much. It's interesting to see how internally conflicted she is - she tries to be a masculine, assertive, military professional, but as Wu Fei points out, she really isn't. And yet, she is... it's strange. Zechs too; he thinks he's a rational and level-headed soldier, but he's not. And sometimes it seems like he knows it.

The relationships between the guys were at least as thought-provoking, I thought. Just some examples:

Between Trowa and Heero. They both see themselves as independent - not really leaders, but also not followers. There was a set of episodes where the two of them had to work together. That's when the dynamic between the two of them came out the most strongly.

I was surprised when Quatre, being the one I considered as yielding and cooperative, wound up as the leader (director?) of the bunch near the end. But it makes sense. I guess that says something too.

Wu-Fei was too independent; we didn't really get to see his relationship with anybody, except that stupid honour grudge against Treize.

Probably the most significant is when Quatre goes crazy and almost kills everybody in Wing Zero. You get to see Heero's cold-heated, objective-oriented approach to solving the problem - take down Quatre - and Trowa's approach, which is more through reasoning and self-sacrifice. How those two play out tells a lot about how they each work.

quote:
Originally posted by sho
This is veering off topic....Like really really far.

It's Gundam. Talking about war is off-topic?

I think Canada had the draft in WW1... but yes, Sanfan is right, you could probably hide in the wilderness and never be found until you really wanted to be.

09.21.2007, 10:15 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
sho
Ohmu

The Zech-Noin-san relationship was very interesting. I liked that.
I think Wufei-san was kinda thrown in their to appeal to younger audiences, as they seem to like the strong, capable, headstrong hero the best.

At least, I did, when it came out.
I didn't really like Duo-san, because he was there for certain comic relief purposes, and when they tried to make him more serious, it just didn't cut it as a convincing character.

We were off topic when talking about citizenship, and wanting to be in the military to fly a Gundam.

09.21.2007, 11:14 PM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree about Duo... he seemed a little bit too grating and out of place, most of the time. Not always, but usually.

09.22.2007, 12:10 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
yeah, its more of a afterthought. i would join the military in a heartbeat if i could fly one of those things.

I wouldn't, but then I've served in the army for two years (some of you might know how I used to gripe about it). So I know how sucky the army is.

Anyway, the one and only thing I liked about the current Gundam series is how realistic the controls were designed. Back then, driving a huge mecha was probably easier than driving a car. Now, as Kira mentioned in the first/second episode, and as Orb demonstrated, creating such hardware and software is worse than rocket science.

As the creator of Gundam once mentioned, it's kinda impossible for such a large machine to be able to move so well on Earth.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.22.2007, 05:20 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

quote:
Originally posted by Mushka
I agree about Duo... he seemed a little bit too grating and out of place, most of the time. Not always, but usually.

see,i liked Duo, he was distinctly different then the rest of them. it was the fact that he was more comic relief than the way-too-serious Heero.

as well as leaving the Noin-Zechs relationship out, i left the Trowa-circus person whos name i cant remember and the Duo-Hilde. Im saying that the relationships were more stressed in SEED, in Wing it was an afterthought, but the relationships with the pilots was fairly well done imo.

Click for Gallery^^

09.22.2007, 01:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I dunno. I watched this a long time ago so my memory of the politics and relationships is a bit hazy but I definitely remembering Duo to be annoying. He was distinctly different and I might have enjoyed that if it was done well but he just ended up being out place and unnatural.

09.22.2007, 02:57 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Eek, so we have some Duo bashers, okay, fine with me, i still like him most out of the Gundam wing pilots. Heero was pretty cool too.

Wing seems to me to be alot of people first gundam series, i remember watching parts of it on YTV like 8-9 years ago. it was good then, and good now. hopefully SEED will age as kindly.

Click for Gallery^^

09.22.2007, 03:09 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
sho
Ohmu

SEED is NOT appropriate for children. In the OVA of SEED (they made all 50 or so episodes into a OVA) there is even a scene in which Kira-san loses his virginity to Fllay-san.

If you're not watching it in english, (AKA not edited) the series does get very bloody.

Post last edited by sho on 09.22.2007, 03:12 PM.

09.22.2007, 03:12 PM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

there is lots of cursing and fanservice(well, there isnt that much, but i was surprised to see it)

i have a dual audio version, i like english for action anime, and Fllay was a bitch, i really didnt like her. too bad Cagalli and Kiro are bro-sis

Click for Gallery^^

09.22.2007, 03:31 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
sho
Ohmu

For that matter, Gundam Wing uncut and Japanese is probably just as bloody.

There is quite a bit of swearing in the English uncut too.

09.23.2007, 12:14 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Mush
Baron

I haven't seen SEED, but yes, Wing is bloody... lots of people die for no reason. But I get the feeling that most of it is necessarily pointless, sort of to demonstrate the futility and repetitiveness of battle, and how those poor kids inescapably get drawn in. Like when Heero murders Noventa...

09.23.2007, 12:46 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

It shows an alternate reality, where, for whatever reason, we have children fighting and killing people.

it has happened in the real world, but i couldnt kill anyone, i wouldnt know what to do with my self. i would be lost for the rest of my life. but yet we like to depict people of this age, doing things like that.

the show doesnt bother me with the blood. i watched the movies 300, that was 2 hours of killing, and it didnt bother me. maybe i can draw a line easier between fact and fiction.

Click for Gallery^^

09.23.2007, 11:11 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
sho
Ohmu

Go watch Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and Letters from Iwo Jima.

The line between realistic blood and dramatic blood draws the difference.

Post last edited by sho on 09.23.2007, 11:21 AM.

09.23.2007, 11:21 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

ive seen band of brother and saving privae ryan, both were fantastic.

we were soldiers is also very good. i like war films, i do wish there were some WWI films out there.

Click for Gallery^^

09.23.2007, 11:24 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by sho
Go watch Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and Letters from Iwo Jima.

The line between realistic blood and dramatic blood draws the difference.

Lol, so true. Realistic death has a much better effect than exaggerated scream-gag-rolleyes death.

Anyway, all Gundam is bloody; it's a war series, damnit.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.23.2007, 12:04 PM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks