QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Gundam Wing
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Gundam Wing » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  ]
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
i do wish there were some WWI films out there.

Gallipoli?

09.23.2007, 03:42 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by #1sanfan
i do wish there were some WWI films out there.

Aces High. It focuses on the air-war but the futility and sheer fear of WWI combat is well depicted.

What would people say is the best Gundam series? The idea of teh technology and physics being explained appeals to me.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

09.23.2007, 03:59 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
sho
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like SEED, Zeta and some of the classics (0083, Char's Counterattack) the best.

SEED seems to be the more modern series - with a much more new animation style, flashier battles, and more fleshed out relationships (which are popular in anime and manga these days).

0083 and Char's Char's Counterattack are just classic. Period.

Zeta is also very very moving.

The starry sky is twinkling again, this earth is exalted with tears.
The galloping time shines its light, and this world without you is my "FANTASY".

09.23.2007, 05:49 PM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ive heard that 0083, zeta and turn A gundam are the quality ones.

i perfer SEED and Wing,

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.23.2007, 06:11 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Mush
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, the only one I've seen entirely is Wing. So I'm not really in a position to recommend. It's good, but not great; I wouldn't say you should go out of your way to watch it, mainly because of the excess of repetitive and pointless battles (not to mention the bizarre fixation with European aristocracy). All the most interesting parts are in the backdrop to the battles, when it should really be the other way around.

About the physics, it's not really 'explained', but if you're observant, it's always there in the design. So it's kind of fun to pay attention to that. I'm kind of an odd person, but I was very cheery upon realizing that the Vayeate had a tokamak on its back, and when I learned what 'Lagrange points' were. Or those little handles that people used to pull themselves around in space, or the launch ramps that the shuttles used to help them get into space. Or how people kept getting the bright idea to crash things into each other as a weapon. The beauty is the little details that science fiction normally neglects, even though of course some things still had to be unrealistic to make the premise work. But I'm a physics geek, so...

Speaking of the Vayeate and Mercurius... it was mentioned they were sort of the Yin and Yang of attack and defense. Did anybody else get the feeling that this was true, but it was backward to what you would have at first expected? I thought that was kind of cool. Especially after reading Sun Tzu's "the Art of War". But I don't know if it was intentional on their part or not.

Post last edited by Mush on 09.23.2007, 11:19 PM.

09.23.2007, 11:18 PM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
sho
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by sho Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Gundam Wing:

Actually, I have this (very expensive) book that details every single vehicle and person, gives some explanation of it, and tells you some of its statistics.

It also has blueprint drawings of ALL Gundams, giving info on all weapons and how they work, all of their means of operation, weight height etc.

It tells you about all the science of Gundam Wing.

The galloping time shines its light, and this world without you is my "FANTASY".

09.24.2007, 12:01 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank The idea of teh technology and physics being explained appeals to me.

I recommend Infinite Ryvius. Although no, no techno stuff is explained along the course, but for an anime in space, it's extremely realistic, physics-wise.

Although you should watch it for the psychological trauma.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

09.24.2007, 12:15 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by sho
It tells you about all the science of Gundam Wing.

I'm generally not trusting of such books (ie, 'the science of star wars'), because it seems like all the details are made up to match the show (rather than being worked out for the show), and all the statistics are invented. So I need a litmus test... If it can give a good explanation of the Mercurius' shields (Van de Graaf perhaps?), and if I'm right about the tokamak, then maybe I'm convinced.

Roar - Infinite Ryvius? That sounds interesting... what's it about?

09.24.2007, 12:27 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
sho
Ohmu

Um...It's by Tokyopop and...copyrighted by Sotsu Agency Sunrise.

Official enough?

09.24.2007, 12:34 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A conspiracy theory.

No actually, it's about this secret weapon hidden in a space training school. Due to hijackers, the station gets sent into this gravity-heavy field, and soon the only people on board are the students, left to fend for themselves.

Space stuff aside, it's more a story about how a situation controlled by a bunch of teenagers easily get out of control, often into dangerous grounds.

Think Lord of the Flies.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

09.24.2007, 12:36 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Omg, someone who's seen Infinite Ryvius. Is it just me or is that anime pretty underrated?

Anyways, I second that recommendation. Lot's of psychological stuff. I think you might like it Mushka.

09.24.2007, 01:04 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
sho
Ohmu

On 9 October, 2007, there is a new Gundam series coming out named

"Gundam 00".

I look forward to it.

09.25.2007, 01:05 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

@fenkashi: Underrated. And ph34r my otaku-ness

quote:
Originally posted by sho
On 9 October, 2007, there is a new Gundam series coming out named

"Gundam 00".

I look forward to it.

Oh yea, bout that. Apparently my country's gonna be broadcasting that a week after it airs in Japan.

And before you guys start pelting me with cream pies, I'd also like to say that rumours has it that the deal didn't go through. So right now it's anybody's guess.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:

Post last edited by Roarkiller on 09.25.2007, 01:16 AM.

09.25.2007, 01:16 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
sho
Ohmu

Watch it subbed online? (Stream it.)
Don't download! It's illegal!

That's what I do if I can't watch it on TV or get a hold of a dvd.

09.25.2007, 01:22 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

quote:
Originally posted by sho
Watch it subbed online? (Stream it.)
Don't download! It's illegal!

That's what I do if I can't watch it on TV or get a hold of a dvd.

Both result in the same thing, lol. Streaming just downloads the file into your cache instead of your harddisk.

Legality aside, fansubs are really the only way to go to get fresh anime ASAP.

09.25.2007, 02:12 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
sho
Ohmu

Except for some strange reason streaming isn't illegal. Downloading anywhere but your cache is illegal. Ironic.

But yes, fansubs are pretty much the way to go.

09.25.2007, 02:45 AM sho is offline   Profile for sho Add sho to your buddy list Send an Email to sho Homepage of sho
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

No, both are illegal. It's just impossible to catch you with anime in your cache.

That said, the can track your movements on the internet, but there's just no way to prove that you have actually viewed any of those videos via streaming.

09.25.2007, 07:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

well that is pretty sweet news, ill be downloading that when it is subbed and put out on the free, wide world of the internet. i still have alot of SEED to finish first.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

09.25.2007, 03:56 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Wow, just finished SEED, so these are my final thoughts.
SPOILERS POSSIBLY if anyone cares

firstly, it beats the hell outta Wing. But more over, the story was a solid, i didnt see hole, but i saw problems.

how the hell does Kira survive a self detination at point blank, and the huge shot at the end? he has his moblie suit melted off him, but he still lives. Point being, way to much extravagant dodging too keep his life.

it does keep in perspective by killing several lead characters, this was a good change, gutsy by the development crew imo.

the battles were better than Wing, but there were alot of recycling battle animation, induces boredom. but it wasnt too bad.

i still like how the relationships panned out, it was fairly true to form with human reactions imo. The story got a little outrageous at the end, but most people who do series or films go crazy at the end, and go overboard (see Lucas, George)

all in all, it was a solid watch, i would watch it again at a later date, and it is fresh to be picked on to get a few motion avys and a few good sig shots.

SEED destiny here i come! when it finishes downloading in 3 days.

Click for Gallery^^

09.26.2007, 07:55 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

umm, what the hell? it says that i posted here at 3:15am, that isnt possible. plus there was no new post. im kinda creeped out right now.

Click for Gallery^^

10.04.2007, 03:48 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  «    1  2  3  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks