QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Samuari or ninja
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General Samuari or ninja Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Umfrage: which is cooler Samuari or ninja?
Samuari
Ninja
Results
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's an awesome website, now I don't need to read any boring fat history books to know all the facts on ninja, coz its all on the internet. Yeah, baby.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.01.2007, 06:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I know, and it's all so accurate, too!

11.01.2007, 06:08 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

what isnt on the internet?

11.02.2007, 12:54 AM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Er . . . What?

11.02.2007, 08:21 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I even liked the authentic ninja music. They must play that on their iPods while up in the mountains doing their rigorous ascetic training thingummies.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

11.02.2007, 09:01 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

GASP. There is a book of that website!
http://www.amazon.com/REAL-Ultimate-Powe...4673119-0026041

EDIT: as I've just discovered, it said that on the site anyway. Oh well. The scripts are awesome.

Post last edited by arren18 on 11.02.2007, 04:23 PM.

11.02.2007, 04:16 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

how do you even come across a site like that??
it is interesting, i know ill be careful with spoons and opening windows in future.

11.04.2007, 04:47 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

hm....hiro from heroes has given me something to think about with the samurai thing,i guess theyre alright.anyone else notice the bad pun the used to name hiro?sheesh..

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

11.04.2007, 07:47 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
JanJosé
Kodama

Registration Date: 09.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by JanJosé Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

How could we miss it. Misa is a king among men, and Hiro's Da (DAD) is played by George Takei (Sulu),the sword jus pushes him on par with,...dare i say it...the greatness of chuck norris!

11.06.2007, 06:14 AM JanJosé is offline   Profile for JanJosé Add JanJosé to your buddy list Send an Email to JanJosé
Tea Master Tall
Totoro

Registration Date: 04.01.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Tea Master Tall Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You know what would be realy cool. A Ninja duck! I mean what is posobly cooler than a ninja duck! They would have even more ULTIMATE POWER!!!

Check out my music:

12.28.2007, 11:11 AM Tea Master Tall is offline   Profile for Tea Master Tall Add Tea Master Tall to your buddy list Send an Email to Tea Master Tall
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah i went with ninja I think they're cooler than samurai because its all hush-hush y'know padding around cutting peoples throats whilst they sleep and stuff. For some reason i like that =] Anyone read the book 'Across the Nightingale Floor' and the rest of its trilogy? Or i suppose quartet because of the new book...But anyway thats sort of about ninja's and that is just too cool. Seriously that is some cool stuff anyone interested in that sort of thing should read it.

12.28.2007, 12:20 PM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i love that series!
too old for me,eh?i knew exactly what was happening...
ninjas are cooler cos they can leap from roof to roof...and get all their friends free cable

12.28.2007, 06:19 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow, old thread, and one I never posted in before.

*Bummer Spoiler Alert*

There's nothing cool about ninjas or samurais, because what you see in cartoons and movies are all fake.

A Samurai is a class, the Japanese counterpart to Europe's knights. They are skills for hire, own land, fight for the emperor when called for.

And FYI the bushido code was written AFTER the end of the warring period, when samurais had time to sit down and dabble in other art form like calligraphy and zen philosophy.

Ninja clans don't have superpowers, and no, they don't kill for a living, nor are they assasins. That's bullshit. Ninjas are originally nothing more than rogue clans living in forests, with their own traditions and beliefs, usually totally different from the rest of Japan. Their aversion with the rest of Japan is what makes them such a mystery. To compare, they would be like gypsies of old.

The idea of them being assasins is sprouted from them having their own style of self-defence, and to make ends met, they often seek out odd-jobs, including assasination (which by default requires stealth anyway). Similarly, being closer to nature, ninja clans often dabble in magic, much like shamans.

So in a way, ninjas aren't any different from samurais in the sense that they both sell their services, while the only major difference is that Samurai is a title not given to simply anyone, whereas a ninja is closer to a sub-group of people.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.29.2007, 12:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
harmony-of-mar
Baron

we know naruto and stuff is a load of crap,sheesh.
but ya gotta admit,its quality crap.

12.29.2007, 12:31 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Ninja clans don't have superpowers, and no, they don't kill for a living, nor are they assasins. That's bullshit. Ninjas are originally nothing more than rogue clans living in forests, with their own traditions and beliefs, usually totally different from the rest of Japan. Their aversion with the rest of Japan is what makes them such a mystery. To compare, they would be like gypsies of old.

Geez, I just wrote an hour-long reply to this and then the forum didn't post it. I was curious because this is very different than what I'd heard about ninjas, even from what I considered to be authoritative sources.

In summary, that's kind of true and kind of false based on what I've read, although it's hard to find quality research on ninjas on the internet.

According to kanji-a-day.com (my favourite kanji dictionary), the kanji for ninja is 忍者.
忍 translates to "endure, bear, put up with, conceal, secrete, spy, sneak";
者 just means "person".

So a ninja being concealed secretive sneaky spy person sounds like what I'm accustomed to hearing, but if they're like Gypsies then they're probably misunderstood, so the kanji could reflect that.

I did a google scholar search and this is the best I could find:
http://books.google.ca/books?hl=en&l...RoajU8#PPA27,M1

There's better sources but no links to them, and I don't feel like going to the library ^^

This book definitely describes the isolated naturalistic clan that you mentioned, but I think that the ninjas were also much more militaristic than you described.

12.29.2007, 04:19 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Hm, yes, the myths of them being stealthy assassins has come from some basis in fact, I'm sure of that. Calling them akin to gypsies merely implies a lifestyle a way of life that rejects societies norms, and while this may be the case they do seem to have (have had) a tendency towards the ascetic and have undergone at least some level of physical training and rigorous practice to enable them to do these 'odd jobs' they accepted.

The idea of warlords recruiting them to do certain nasty tasks against their rivals hasn't arisen from folklore alone, it does have some basis in fact but as has been pointed out, proper facts on ninja are hard to come by on the internet.

Next time I'm at a decent bookshop I'll have a browse.

12.29.2007, 06:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No no, I don't mean that it's all false, it's just that people tend to believe that ALL ninjas are assasins, even though that was simply because of the part SOME of them played during the warring period.

They're like Shaolin monks, you know (wow, third comparison). They're not really warriors, it's just public perception.

That said though, I'd reaaally love to learn some of the legendary shaolin moves; namely iron fist and jumping up to rooftops. And at least shaolin moves are actually credible, unlike most ninja/samurai moves which are usually created by overactive imagination.

There's one Singaporean who actually owns the Iron Palm (although I wouldn't want a deformed palm like his), and one Qigong grand master (art of channeling chi, also learned in shaolin, includes the ability to hurt people without even touching them).

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.29.2007, 10:08 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Orphic Okapi
Baron

I take back my vote. Shaolin monks are way cooler than both ninjas and samurai. I mean, they can hurt people without touching them! How cool is that?

12.29.2007, 02:22 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

*thinks of xiolin showdown*

uh,care to elaborate?

12.29.2007, 06:12 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Orphic Okapi
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Roarkiller
There's one Singaporean who actually owns the Iron Palm (although I wouldn't want a deformed palm like his), and one Qigong grand master (art of channeling chi, also learned in shaolin, includes the ability to hurt people without even touching them).

12.29.2007, 06:48 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks