QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Anime in General The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That is such a cheesey song though, I think I might just download those two tracks, but i need to be careful, my anime addiction is bad enough, I dont need a j-pop one.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

02.21.2008, 01:18 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ha hahahheeee he hum… oh, boy… oh, my… the movie episode. Asahina running through a shopping mall in a bunny outfit.

My life changed that day…

Who was it said fanservivce was wrong?

They need locking up…

Hm, but she’s even cuter aged 20 (ish).

WARNING SPOILERS!

I’m not sure what my favourite episode is, 14 I guess, I mean that whole closed space scene is fantastic isn’t it? And I agree with Sanfan that the live music in 12 is brilliant (as is that magical scene afterwards where Haruhi is lying on the grass under the tree thinking and she does that whole hurling a fistful of grass at Kyon thing, it’s just sooo cute… ) but I also love “One Day in the Rain” just for Haruhi’s expression when she holds the umbrella out. Priceless! If I were Kyon I’d fall in love with her right there and then. Who knows, maybe he does.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

02.21.2008, 01:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Who said fanservice is wrong? I believe you, quite often lol

But all the same, we have the right to change our opinion depending on the situation

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

02.21.2008, 01:53 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

He heh, well I think I've said it before but the fanservice in Haruhi isn't really fanservice because it does actually bear upon the plot. All the crazyness, the undressing, the outfits, that weird home-made movie, the bunny costume, it's all down to Haruhi's weird personality and aim in life - to get the SOS brigade noticed.

It's not like 10 pairs of pants in every episode of Shuffle or something, it does have a reason.

That's my excuse anyway

quote:
Originally posted by Atradius
I only came to appreciate the broadcast order when watching the series for a second time. The first time I'd watched it had been in chronological order.
Do you mind if I ask why? I have never been able to understand people who do that. It's like starting the Harry Potter series with book 6 or something.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.21.2008, 04:41 PM.

02.21.2008, 04:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Do you mind if I ask why? I have never been able to understand people who do that. It's like starting the Harry Potter series with book 6 or something

The reason I watched it in chronological order first is simply because thats how the user had uploaded it onto Veoh. I wasn't really aware there were 3 different running orders until after I'd seen it through once, so I guess it was chance really. I get the feeling that wasn't your question though? Do you mean why do I prefer the chronological order to the broadcast one? So I'll answer that instead.

Edit:
Just to be sure we aren't talking about the same thing these are the episode orders, taken from wikipedia. There is also a 3rd listing alternative, that from the DVD. This is essentially the same as the Chronological order but with the movie episode at the beginning.

Chronological Order:
1: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1
2: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2
3: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3
4: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4
5: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5
6: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6
7: The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
8: Mystérique Sign
9: Remote Island Syndrome Part 1
10: Remote Island Syndrome Part 2
11: The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
12: Live Alive
13: The Day of Sagittarius
14: Someday in the Rain

Broadcast Order:
1: The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
2: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1
3: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2
4: The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
5: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3
6: Remote Island Syndrome Part 1
7: Mystérique Sign
8: Remote Island Syndrome Part 2
9: Someday in the Rain
10: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4
11: The Day of Sagittarius
12: Live Alive
13: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5
14: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6

To me, I would say that the Broadcast order is actually the one with episodes in the wrong place. For example two of the characters in The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (the baseball game) don't get properly introduced until a few episodes later. Not to mention the 1 episode gap between the beach/island adventure. It's as if the story expects you to know who's who and whats happening in advance. The Chronological order follows the storyline as it happened in the light novels too so fans of the original knew what was going on. Having said that though, the downfall of the Chronological order is that Kyon and Harhui's relationship is reaching it's climax in episode 6, before launching into the other episodes, whereas the Broadcast order offers a slower build up. I can see exactly why you'd feel Part 6 goes best at the end.

I get the feeling you have the two orders confused.

Post last edited by Atradius on 02.21.2008, 05:19 PM.

02.21.2008, 04:47 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Do you know I have never even looked at the episode titles and wasn't aware of them. I live by the numbers:

Broadcast order:

00, 01, 02, 03 --- etc --- 13, 14.

Chronological order:

02, 03, 05, 10, 13, 14, 04, 07, 06, 08, 01, 00, 12, 11, 09

There are only those two sequences, not a third?

Hm, it makes me cross that someone would upload them and not give the original episode numbers, they are not giving the viewer the choice (or delight) of watching it the way it was intended.

And that was my question - why did you watch them that way and not why do you prefer them that way. The answer was rather an anti-climax and also makes me annoyed at the irresponsibility of that uploader.

My Harry Potter example was to make the point that the broadcast order is the sequence the writers/producers intended you to watch them, when it was broadcast you had no choice. To make it sound pompous, it was an artistic statement (bleh! ). J K Rowling wrote and published the Harry Potter books in a specific sequence 01, 02, --- etc. By watching the anime in chronological order you are not doing as the producer wished/intended, hence my example of a reader of the Harry Potter series ignoring the authors intentions and beginning at book 6.

And thus losing out on so much of the fun...

02.21.2008, 05:17 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Atradius
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm sorry But I don't agree. You could call the broadcast order an artist statement all you like and sound all pompus about it, but it doesn't change the fact that the chronological order is the closest to the original material.

quote:
By watching the anime in chronological order you are not doing as the producer wished/intended.

Well, there clearly IS a choice in which order you watch it. The producers intended to give an optional list, otherwise why would they have bothered to include 2 different episode numbers. When Kyon and Haruhi argue at the end of each episode Kyon gives one proposed order (broadcast) and Haruhi gives a second (Chrono). You ARE meant to have a choice, it isn't "either or". If you want to be Really pedantic about this you could say that Haruhi's list is the definitive one because she states the number first and it is only Kyon who interjects and disagrees with her.

quote:
And that was my question - why did you watch them that way and not why do you prefer them that way. The answer was rather an anti-climax and also makes me annoyed at the irresponsibility of that uploader.

On Veoh the two versions of Haruhi that were uploaded were labelled "Chronological" and "Non-Linear", given the choice between those two options I challenge anyone to opt for the one labelled "Non-Linear". From my point of veiw then the choice I had to make seemed fairly clear, the fault of the uploader is debatable, as neither order is actually wrong.

quote:
I live by the numbers:

This argument doesn't really stand up for itself either, for the reason I mentioned above. It's a matter of choice between weather you opt for Harhui's List or Kyon's. Your choice ultimately determines how you number the episodes.

Also if you take the time to check around the internet on various other forums and sites you'll find that those people who go by the broadcast order over the chronological one are actually the minority. Common consensus is that Haruhi's order is the right one. As a result you'll find that most uploaders choose this order.

In regards the 3rd list (the DVD list) it is exactly the same as the chronological order with one exception. The DVD list places the Movie at the beginning. This is ultimately trivial, as the movie stands by itself very easily, and can go in either position, with no major consequences to the plot composition. The fact that the DVD release order followed Haruhi's chronological order should in fact back up what I'm saying: The broadcast order isn't the be-all-and-end-all, you have a choice.

I'm aware I've been bashing the Broadcast order alot and I think I may be giving an overly negative impression of it. Saddles is right to say that it's very good, and it reveals some hidden secrets you wouldn't get otherwise, but it just isn't as fluid as the Chronological order and personally I recommend the Chronological order to newcomers to the series.

Post last edited by Atradius on 02.21.2008, 05:54 PM.

02.21.2008, 05:44 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Atradius
Ohmu

If you can handle spoilers I've posted a complete episode guide in another thread.

02.21.2008, 06:05 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Atradius
I'm sorry But I don't agree. You could call the broadcast order an artist statement all you like and sound all pompus about it, but it doesn't change the fact that the chronological order is the closest to the original material.
I'm sorry for your wasted writing. I just stopped reading your post at that point.

I have this problem with people who say Earthsea is rubbish because it's nothing like the books.

Its not meant to be "like the books".

Nor is Haruhi (anime) meant to be "like the novels" or "like the manga". Its a different medium, it works in a wholly different way. Forget the novels, forget the manga and the tee shirts and the plastic figures and the cosplaying dancers, just watch the anime as it was intened to be watched, in order 01-14.

It works. Wonderfully! It works far better that way that chronologically. Its the way the anime producers intended us to enjoy it.

Okay, rant over. Disagree if you like but you're wrong

Post last edited by Saddletank on 02.21.2008, 06:36 PM.

02.21.2008, 06:35 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay, I'm bored, I'm gonna watch it now.
The question is... chronologically or not?

03.06.2008, 08:28 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not. Watch in episode number order. I saw it after listening to these two geeks spout off about it and it was a lot of fun. The episode number order makes it more disjointed and confusing and I think that is the point, like Kyon the narrator, he is confused as well.

03.06.2008, 08:34 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Okay then... although "disjointed and confused" is not normally whatI look for in an anime...

03.06.2008, 08:40 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

It's 'disjointed and confusing' in a nice way, it makes you curious about certain scenes. Why did she do that? What's with his reaction there? It whets your appetite.

When you watch it again it makes sense. Sure its just a gimmick but its a neat one.

It is a feelgood show, I felt so good at the end. We need more anime that invoke those kinds of feelings.

03.06.2008, 08:56 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I love this show, I watch it whenever I want to be in a good mood and it makes me want to watch more slice of life/mild romances.

Not to mention Kyon is probably the best male lead I have seen, all the other one s annoy the heck out of me. Great series.

The order doesn't matter, I saw it first in chronological and it was awesome, it doesn't make a difference.

Click for Gallery^^

03.06.2008, 10:23 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Loscil
Baron

yo.
im on the 4th ep already.
Its great,I really like it.
The most fn I've had with an anime since AzuDai.

03.06.2008, 10:43 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Just keep going until you hit ep 12, which is the cultural festival. Haruhi + Bunny costume + Guitar = *faints*

Click for Gallery^^

03.06.2008, 10:56 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

People who don't understand the broadcast order simply don't bother figuring out why it's done as such. It's not simply done as a gimmick or a a way to attract viewers.

Bet you guys never knew the novels themselves weren't in chronological order either. In fact, the novel version was rearranged and different from the serialised version, yet NEITHER of them are in order.

But that's all I'm gonna say about this anyway, so I'll just say enjoy the show however you prefer, ain't matter to me anyway.

So long as you don't diss Nagato Yuki.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.06.2008, 11:54 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I knew about the novels, I like how the anime was a homage to the novels. It is a pretty neat gimmick overall. Something that I hadn't seen done before.

Yuki is definitely cool.

Click for Gallery^^

03.06.2008, 11:57 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yuki I'm sure has an element of Ayanami Rei in her as a tip-of-the-hat / small joke. But yes, she is rather nice.

I can't decide which of the three girls is cuter, my mood shifts day by day. I'm not into children so maybe the older version of Mikuru? She's rather foxy...

03.06.2008, 05:15 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Yeah, I always forget that you are double my age and then some. You always act like us 'kids' here so it slips the mind.

It is definitely Haruhi, she is just awesome. So many cute shots through the whole series. Mikuru has some too, and Yuki is just kinda there, but that would be how I would order them.

Click for Gallery^^

03.06.2008, 05:19 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks