QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - visions of escaflowne
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » visions of escaflowne » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  visions of escaflownePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

can anyone tell me about this show??

11.07.2007, 09:53 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

No...

But I have been meaning to see it, i hear it is pretty good. It used to be on tv about 8 years ago over here. I watched a few eps, not in order so i had no clue what was going on, but it reminded me of gundam, except it had a story.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

11.07.2007, 10:01 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The debut of Sakamoto Maaya as a voice actress, and her best work IMO, both from a voice acting angle and as a singer angle.

Fanboy ranting aside, yes, it's one helluva masterpiece anime, integrating fantasy, mahou shoujo, mecha, action, romance.

General storyline: Kanzaki Hitomi is just an ordinary girl, hobbies include sprinting and fortune-telling. One day, as a prelude to her confession to her senior, a bolt of lightning came down and a boy and a dragon appears in front of them. Strangely, Hitomi wa the only one who understood his words, and even stranger things happen when she was accidentally whipped along to the boy's world.

As it turns out, the boy, Van Fanel, was the king of Fanelia, who was in the midst of obtaining the heart of a dragon as a ritual of kingship.

Things get a little out of hand as Fanelia gets attacked and wiped out by a rogue empire trying to take over the lands, and Hitomi shows her mysterious ability to actually see and foretell the future with surprising accuracy.

The story scores with its inter-crossing relationships, of failed romances, failed dreams and conspiracies involving legends, taboos, and an evil sorceror with the ability to control and manipulate fate itself.

Character development is superb, and each and every episode ties in with the rest. There are very few redundant scenes, accompanied by fabulous BGM. The plot gets thicker with every episode, with unexpected twists and turns in almost every episode.

In fact, I highly recommend this title for fantasy lovers. Hell, I recommend it to everyone.

One wrning though: There's a movie version of the series, and most people agree that the movie should be avoided. I myself found it very disappointing; in fact, the only thing good about the movie was Maaya's rendition of the in-song Sora.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.08.2007, 02:23 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Aw, I saw this when I was really little! Of course, it made almost no sense, because I only saw about a quarter of the episodes, and even those were garbled and cut for a north american audience.

I'd like to go back and watch the whole series. The characters were very compelling.

11.08.2007, 02:58 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

All I know is that everybody's nose is really long.

11.08.2007, 04:18 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Mush
Baron

Registration Date: 07.30.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mush Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That's annoying at first, but after about ten minutes you don't even notice.

11.09.2007, 12:27 AM Mush is offline   Profile for Mush Add Mush to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, the noses. It took me a while to get used to those but after a few episodes, you don't even notice anymore. It's just another style.

As for the anime itself, amazing! I loved it. If you enjoy fantasy and mecha action this is a must watch. Like Roar said, great characters and the plot is well thought out as well.

And yes, stay away from the movie. It was terrible >_<

11.09.2007, 11:46 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i see your broadening your anime horizons Farren. first spriggan now escaflowne. have you seen the ghost in the shell movies and series, i recomend the series but havent seen it all yet.

11.10.2007, 09:42 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

im really seeing some similarities between escaflowne
and MAR.
1.she is transported by beam of light...ginta is transported by glowing gate.
2.someone said she had psycic dreams.ginta dreams about mar long before alviss summons him with the clown gate.
3.that allan guy is the look-alike to the girls crush.
in mar,ginta has a crush on his friend koyuki,he gets to mar and bang!he rescues princess snow(and kisses her)
and she looks and acts exactly like koyuki.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

11.29.2007, 09:06 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Little Tanuki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 10.01.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Little Tanuki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh I saw so much of that when I was at uni.

It's gotta be one of my favourite sci-fi / fantasy anime shows.

...And I got the themesong on CD um... somewhere.

Copied down the words at one time 'cos I really wanted to be able to sing them.

And (can't remember a lot of character names) but I really love that cat/human hybrid character.

Itsudemo dareka ga
Kitto soba ni iru
Omoi dashite wo kure
Suteki na sono na no

01.02.2008, 05:05 AM Little Tanuki is offline   Profile for Little Tanuki Add Little Tanuki to your buddy list
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh oh! Merle I think. Merle was awesome ^_^ but then again, I do have a soft spot for cat/human hybrids.

01.02.2008, 06:41 AM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

nekomimis.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

01.02.2008, 07:02 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've been so trying to see this, but atm, it's behind RahXephon in my to-get list.

quote:
Originally posted by T.C. have you seen the ghost in the shell movies and series, i recomend the series but havent seen it all yet.
I was gonna get this, but it turns out my mate is absolutely mad about it, so I would know what 's going to happen.

01.02.2008, 10:43 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by frigidchill
RahXephon

Oh, when you see that, could you tell me if it's good? I'm quite interested in it too.

01.02.2008, 12:34 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks