QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What are you currently watching?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » What are you currently watching? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  145  146  147  148  149  150  151  152    »  ]
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Tried watching "Super Robot Wars"... Of three Episodes, got part way into ep 2 and had to shut it off... Too much, WAY too much 'fan service' for my taste...

10.09.2021, 11:29 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This week the Scotland Loves Anime festival is on here, showing several mostly new or newish films, so I'll be seeing a few. I started yesterday with Lupin III: The First, which is the first CGI Lupin. It was a lot of fun, definitely in the spirit of Castle of Cagliostro, with a ludicrous storyline and really impressive visuals.

10.12.2021, 04:23 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
saviour2012
Baron

Registration Date: 02.24.12
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by saviour2012 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
This week the Scotland Loves Anime festival is on here, showing several mostly new or newish films, so I'll be seeing a few. I started yesterday with Lupin III: The First, which is the first CGI Lupin. It was a lot of fun, definitely in the spirit of Castle of Cagliostro, with a ludicrous storyline and really impressive visuals.

I saw that one some months ago i think after i saw good reviews. Quite good actually, its the second Lupin film i have seen after cagliostro. Bit over the top at the end but overall quite good.

Ask, think and learn. Because the more we know the more we grow.

Watching the wrong to happen is the same as commiting the wrong.

If it looks like things are forcing you to be creative, Then be creative.

its a uniquely Miyazaki film, one only he could make and its uniqueness places it beyond being easily critiqued.[About Porco Rosso]
taken from a quote of Saddletank and Orphic Okapi

10.14.2021, 12:04 PM saviour2012 is offline   Profile for saviour2012 Add saviour2012 to your buddy list Send an Email to saviour2012 Homepage of saviour2012
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ooh, I'm looking forward to seeing that new Lupin film sometime. I was hoping it'd be similar to Cagliostro.

My Anime List

10.14.2021, 03:28 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, if you want to see it, they actually have it as part of the online festival too. I think you just pay once to watch as many of the available films as you like during this month. Most of the options are from previous years, but Lupin is in there too! Have a look if you want: https://online.lovesanimation.com/products/sla-online-1

I guess that could be of interest to anybody really, but I'm not sure if there might be location restrictions...

Anyway, over the weekend I went to some more of their screenings!

Fortune Favours Lady Nikuko: I didn't know much about this one going in, and hadn't realised it was an adaptation of a book whose author I'd actually read something else from. The dialogue writing and sense of humour felt very similar to the other book, which I was really pleased about. It's an odd little slice-of-life drama, and I would definitely recommend it!

Pompo the Cinephile: This was a fun film about the filmmaking process in a parody of Hollywood. Another one they showed at the festival (I didn't go it because I've already seen it) was the Shirobako movie, which deals with similar stuff specifically in anime. But while Shirobako focuses on the grind of working and struggling for motivation, this was more about creativity.

The Deer King: One of the co-directors for this was a character designer for several Ghibli films, among others. Since it is also a medieval fantasy story (also based on a book), the advertising really emphasised his work on Princess Mononoke. It's surprisingly relevant right now as its story is about people dealing with a mysterious disease, and it's definitely interesting, but don't expect it to be as action-packed as Mononoke.

End of Evangelion: A lot of people here have probably seen this one, but I only ever watched the series and never got to this. It was... really weird! I don't think it helped that I'd forgotten a lot of the story leading up to it, but I'm not sure it would have made a big difference. It's just a strange film.

10.19.2021, 06:15 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

> What are you currently watching?

currently as in ongoing: 86, Mushoku Tensei. Idk, the rest all seem like meh.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

Post last edited by makc on 11.25.2021, 06:58 PM.

11.22.2021, 10:10 AM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

On your recommendation, Kazagami, watched "Squid"... A bit violent for my tastes, but I was drawn to it... continuing onto the next episode and the next, etc... the ending was surprising and was leading to, what I was hoping for, but a turnaround at the end...

02.04.2022, 05:12 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm? Squid?

My Anime List

02.04.2022, 04:29 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.26.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Husky are you talking about squid game?

02.05.2022, 04:34 PM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
makc
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.12.16
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by makc Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

squid game isnt anime though. wrong thread

anime, of course I am watching AOT. but only to get done with it, you know? since I already know the story from the manga, and the anime does only minor deviations, like slight changes of events order or lines omissions... so it is not a bit deal if I miss an episode - this kind of watching.

unfortunately I dont feel like watching anything else in this anime season.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so loving what - Stephen Fry.

02.05.2022, 10:12 PM makc is offline   Profile for makc Add makc to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

My bad, you're right, not anime, but live acting... My apologies...

02.05.2022, 10:33 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

No worries, I haven't seen that though. ^_^;

My Anime List

02.05.2022, 11:02 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

02.06.2022, 03:18 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Recently I've been watching the nonsensically titled Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song for professional reasons. I heard of it when it first came out and it sounded like people were pretty into it. I'm most of the way through and I'm enjoying it a lot! It's a bit like Violet Evergarden, but also a bit like Terminator... if that makes sense.

03.09.2022, 01:00 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

It doesn't, but when has that ever stopped a story from being interesting... lol

03.09.2022, 04:19 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
ButaPairotto
Tanuki

Registration Date: 08.26.21
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ButaPairotto Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm very intrigued now. Where can I watch it?

03.10.2022, 06:10 AM ButaPairotto is offline   Profile for ButaPairotto Add ButaPairotto to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Watching "Komi Can't Communicate"...

03.11.2022, 03:08 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by ButaPairotto
I'm very intrigued now. Where can I watch it?

Looks like Funimation has it. Because of what I'm working on right now, presumably it'll be available on Netflix soon, but maybe it's already there with old subtitles? I'm not totally sure how this stuff works.

@husky - how is it? I've been thinking about watching that one, because people seemed to be really into the manga.

03.11.2022, 04:46 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

I just started it, only partway through Ep. 2.. but it is interesting... I wanted to continue watching it last night, but got sidelined to something more pressing at the moment... I will continue it later today, when I can sit down and give it my full attention...

I'm watching it with subs and there is a lot of short/quick (at least to my eyes ) subs to try and follow...

When I sit down later, I will probably start over again from the start...

I was looking on Netflix for the 'Vivy' story, but couldn't find it... While scrolling I did see some others that I will check out at another time...

03.11.2022, 02:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

The other day I FINALLY finished Katanagatari after all this time. I really think having double-length episodes every time made it harder to pull myself together and watch it. Honestly, there were a few choices like that that made it feel like it wasn't the best presentation of the story. It was full of interesting ideas, but I'm not sure I really felt it came together as well as other things based on Nisio Isin works (like Monogatari, Pretty Boy Detective Club, etc).

On the bright side, I am now a bit more in the habit of watching anime series again, and not only for work! I'm watching a couple of comedies now, Komi Can't Communicate and Spy x Family.

04.27.2022, 10:53 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
[  «    ...  145  146  147  148  149  150  151  152    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks