QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - manga
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » manga » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3    »  ]
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

any reason why its good?
you kinda skipped on the description so people who like its genre are less likly to read it.

http://harmony-of-mar.deviantart.com/

01.09.2008, 06:38 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm reading that as well. But I dunno how to describe it yet. ^^'

Manga: MISSING : Kamikakushi no Monotagari
Genre: Mystery/Horror
Novel: Gakuto Coda
Manga version: Rei Mutsuki

Story: Meet the Literature club and its odd members. The leader of them is the mysterious, dark boy named Utsume Kyoichi, whose existence amazes them. No one knows exactly who he is, and he has come to have many nicknames. He also has a fascination with the "other side". Always in black and doesn't believe in love, he appears one day at school introducing a girl none of them have ever met before he calls Ayame, and says she's his new girlfriend. Suspecting suspicion, the four members (Aki, Takeshi, Ryoko, and Takemi, I know the girls names are right, unsure bout the guys. @.@ So sorry.) begin to investigate into the couple and find they go missing. The only explanation after much looking inot it and weird occurrences: Ayame is a kamikakushi, and spirit or monster that spirits people away into the other side. The four only have one thing to do; At all costs, get Utsume back, even if it means their lives.

Volume I'm on: Volume 2

I love you Jinno-san!
--------------------------------
Manga: Sugar Sugar Rune
Manga-ka: Moyocco Anno (Hideaki Anno's wife apparently..? )
Genre: Magical Girl/Romance
Volume I'm on: volume 4

Story: Two girls, Chocolat and Vanilla, are chosen to be Queen candidates in the Magical World. The two are sent to Japan to collect crystal coloured heart shaped things that contain feelings. Whoever gets the most wins. The two put in their effort to charm the boys, and Chocolat discovers that how she was popular in the Magical World doesn't apply to ours. The boys prefer Vanilla.

As if things couldn't get worse, they hear of a rumour the Ogres, castaway magic users of Glacee's clan, have invaded and one is there. This turns out to be the boy who has the heart of the Noir, jealousy and fear, Pierre, who is also a taking to Chocolat's fancy. Knowing what he is, she's warned to stay away from him and to be careful of his tricks, but can she really do that?

And trouble stirs more in the Magical World..

I own up to volume 7. Waiting for volume 8 to be put in English. I'm not a very big fan of the anime, it's a heck lot different. I know a lot about the later volumes from skim reading them Christmas morning. I believe I like the story better later on. Nonetheless, it's a favorite of mine.

Post last edited by foreignfilmfreak on 01.09.2008, 09:11 PM.

01.09.2008, 09:02 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Seiji
Totoro

Registration Date: 07.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Seiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I finally got the first special volume of Fruits Basket, which is volumes 1 and 2 in one big book. Not very far into it, but certainly enjoying it.

Yuki looks quite a lot like an alien though.

01.09.2008, 11:49 PM Seiji is offline   Profile for Seiji Add Seiji to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by harmony-of-mar Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

ouran high school host club.
they look so much different in the manga then they do in the anime.

01.10.2008, 12:41 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Seiji
I finally got the first special volume of Fruits Basket, which is volumes 1 and 2 in one big book. Not very far into it, but certainly enjoying it.

Yuki looks quite a lot like an alien though.

How can you say that?! He's friggin' beautiful! It's actually pretty surprising how much the character's appearances change as the volumes go on and they get older. Still, it's not a bad thing. If anything, they only get cuter.

But yeah Fruits Basket rules. I've have volumes 1 to 18. I think 19 will be published by March. So I'm guessing they'll finishing publishing the series by summer 2009.

My Anime List

01.10.2008, 01:45 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The 19th might be out in March? ^^ Ooh, tell me if you find the release date so I can buy all the ones before it and ask for that one. (I own up to 11 and found a crap load of copies of the character guide at the anime store I'll buy fer me and my cuz.) Because my birthday is late March. ^^ Ooh, I shouldc heck to see what the eighth Sugar Sugar Rune is out.. @.@ I will kill if it's not by then, dammit.

I finished the 2nd volume of MISSING in English today. I'll be reading either D.Gray-Man or Le Chevalier D'Eon today. I know somewhat what the anime is like for D'Eon but they manga is a different story.. Lemme see, what else was I reading...?

01.10.2008, 04:30 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kazegami
I've have volumes 1 to 18. I think 19 will be published by March. So I'm guessing they'll finishing publishing the series by summer 2009.

I've said this many times before, i know, but everytime someone says that they are waiting for something anime or manga related to come out i recall seeing it in the places i shop for such products.. Ive seen the 19th volume of FB and as a matter of fact i think ive seen up to 21, if my memeory is anything to go by. I also bought Earthsea at least a few months before its official dvd release in Aus, US and the UK. It's just so surprising for me becasue people here seem to complain that Australia is so behind on everything from technology to movie releases.

01.10.2008, 10:45 PM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

but i thought we were!
where are you getting all these things?
argh....

01.11.2008, 06:14 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Atradius
Ohmu

Registration Date: 11.10.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, the shortest answer is "Alot"

Seeing as most people have been, or have at some point read FB I think I'll just post up the review I wrote for it a couple of weeks back.

Being a 19 year old guy and picking up the first volume of Fruits Basket, I was very apprehensive, thinking "How an I possibly going to be able to enjoy this sort of "cutesy" rubbish". The very notion of a story about a girl and her relationship with twelve boys who turn into the animals of the zodiac when she hugs them made me cringe. The artwork and literary styles, although good, were clearly aimed at a younger (undoubtedly female) audience, so if truth be told I didn't really enjoy it. Yeah it was "nice", but I couldn't help feeling that it was somehow too cliché and predictable. Unsatisfied with what I'd read I put the manga down and went to read "Bleach" instead, with the hope of retaining some of my masculinity.

Now this is where I have to make my confession, because around two weeks or so later I heard a niggling voice in the back of my mind, condemning me for not having given it enough time. So rather reluctantly I went and looked for volume 2, but alas!, volume 2 was nowhere to be found. I eventually resorted to borrowing the majority of the series off one of my younger sisters friends, denying they were for me, before proceeding to hide in my room and read them all back to back.

I was pleasantly surprised. As the series carries on into volumes 3-4 and beyond, the storyline begins to progress much faster, becoming deeper and far less "cutesy". As the relationship between the zodiac characters is revealed it become a far more gripping and involving read, you really do start to feel for the characters, in fact so much so that I went and bought the last volumes myself so I wasn't left hanging wanting more.

So to summarise; although Fruits Basket gets off to a slow start, it is a rewarding read if you give it time. It taught me the valuable lesson that giving up on a manga after 1 volume is usually a bad thing. I don't think I'd recommend this manga to any other guys, but it is still good and I'd recommend it to girls around my sisters age, 14 or so. As for a rating I think I'm going to go with 4 stars, not the best but it does deserve credit for being a truly unique story. I've certainly never read anything remotely like it.

Well there is is, make of it what you will.
Atra

01.11.2008, 09:43 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
Atradius
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Atradius Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm actually reading FLCL atm though, but once I'm past volume 2 I'll type up something.

01.11.2008, 09:44 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
harmony-of-mar
Baron

um...not 12 boys...only about 10 of them are boys....

01.11.2008, 09:46 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Atradius
Ohmu

And with Momoji it's debatable.........

01.11.2008, 09:55 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
harmony-of-mar
Baron

no, hes definately a boy,even if he does wear a girls uniform. he hight have a crush on tohru, im not sure.

01.11.2008, 10:00 PM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I should stop starting new manga series before i finish the last one.. i'm now into Initial D, Evangelion, Death Note, Mushishi (again) and also pondering over whether or not to continue with Cardcaptor Sakura.

01.13.2008, 02:51 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

im about half way through the ouran high school host club manga.
after this im starting d.gray-man.

01.13.2008, 07:12 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
Nausicaa_Cat
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Nausicaa_Cat Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm collecting the Fruits Basket books but its hard since when i go to any bookshops near me they'll have no 1, than it'll jump to like 7 and than 13 or something ridiculous. So its been tricky (Im not allowed to order off the internet btw). BUT I have got up to 6 now and i just finished reading the chapter that happens AFTER the anime ends. So i was like: Ooh!!

Im looking forward to the cockerel since thats my year and it didnt feature in the anime. But its in the manga right? RIGHT?!

01.13.2008, 07:16 AM Nausicaa_Cat is offline   Profile for Nausicaa_Cat Add Nausicaa_Cat to your buddy list
harmony-of-mar
Baron

yes, kureno is in the manga.
i think hes in love with someone...
and hes cute.....and of course, a red head.

01.13.2008, 07:18 AM harmony-of-mar is offline   Profile for harmony-of-mar Add harmony-of-mar to your buddy list Send an Email to harmony-of-mar
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

I know who he falls in love with at the end.. ._.

Anyways, thought I'd write something for this series..

Manga: Pixie Pop (has a different name listed under it in the English adaption, but I don't know how to spell it right. ^^')
Manga-ka: Ema Touyama
Genre: Romance/Maho Shojo
Age Rating: 13+ (for Romance)

Story:

"Amamiya-kun.. I.. I like you..."

"Who are you?"

Mayu Kousaka is your average girl dealing with the already realization of unrequited love. Confessing to her crush of six years the week before she starts middle school, Mayu decides to drown her sorrows with drinks from her mom's cafe. Finding an oddly coloured drink, Mayu cries her feelings into it and drinks it, thus making the drink fairy Pucho appear. Startled, Mayu learns she has drunk the potion that would have made the fairy an "adult" and that all she had needed was someone's tears. Mayu finds that whatever substance she drinks will cause her to do something; like cold milk makes her a giant, water makes her invisible, and any titles associated with something on the drink will cause her to transform into that. To undo this, Mayu must help Pucho find the seven colours of feelings, and Pucho promises if Mayu helps with this, Amamiya will fall in love with her. Agreeing, the two try to make him realize who she is. But not all is easy.

Number of volumes complete: 3

Rating: A

I really like this series. Sure, I've heard somewhat I've the story portrayed, maybe it's not completely original, but it's very heartfelt and sometimes leaves you in tears, about friendship and love. It seems a little fast, maybe because it's the first series Touyama has made, but all in all, it's very cute in a sense. My favorite couple is Nazuna and Ryouta. ^^

01.15.2008, 12:29 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by harmony-of-mar
yes, kureno is in the manga.
i think hes in love with someone...
and hes cute.....and of course, a red head.

Kureno makes me so sad. I wish I could explain why but that would be spoiling it.

My Anime List

01.15.2008, 12:41 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Atradius
Ohmu

Pixie pop is the English name for it as far as I know FFF. At least thats what it was published under by Kodansha, Tokyopop have since done a version so that may be called something different. *Information came from Wikipedia*

But it does look very good, I'm pretty sure I've picked up a copy in a bookshop somewhere and leafed through the pages. I think the main appeal of it though would be that it's created by an independent Manga-ka. Most of this genre tend to be by the peach-pit and clamp collectives so tend to be rather too "flowery", for want of a better word.

01.15.2008, 12:42 PM Atradius is offline   Profile for Atradius Add Atradius to your buddy list Send an Email to Atradius Homepage of Atradius
[  «    1  2  3    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks