QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Higurashi no Naku Koro niPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Figured I'd start a thread on this. I kinda got it on a whim, not expecting to much. But WOW.

The story is very original, the show just blew my mind. I don't want to go into details as id hate to spoil it. If I knew what was coming, it wouldnt have the same impact. Go watch this for a surreal journey.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.02.2008, 11:29 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Can you give at least the basics so I know if I might enjoy it or not. Genre? Style? Pace? That sort of thing...

03.02.2008, 02:36 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, I accidentally got the 2nd season before the first, so that might complicate things for me. But it is definitely like a mystery genre with twists and turns. It has an original plot, or so I can tell. I havent seen your paranoia agent, but it has this underlying mystery to it. I can't explain it too much. I am in the process of getting the first season and then going to try it out. I may have already spoiled the show for myself, but these thing happen.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.02.2008, 02:44 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To my knowledge, it features young female psychopaths. So right up your street then Saddles.

I'd watch it myself, but I've got such a big list of unfinished and unseen anime that I can't just yet.

03.02.2008, 03:10 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Psychopaths? Yeah sorta, but the reasons for that when they are explained are really quite interesting.

It is just really interesting, major originality points from my books.

Click for Gallery^^

03.02.2008, 03:16 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm watching it. But hey, no surprise there

SPOILERS INCLUDED!!! (sorry, can't remember the spoiler tag)

The english title is "When They Cry", and is licensed, so it's out on DVD. "Higurashi" is a type of cicada, and the japanese believe that the sound they make is like crying, and so often associated with bad omens.

The series is broken up into several stories, each an average of three episodes long, but more or less the same story except in a different scenario, often from a different perspective.

The artwork needs some getting used to, and the first thing you notice is that there's quite a bit of humour going on as well. However, the amount of humour tapers off as each story progresses, and in fact, the creepiness literally creeps in very early on.

While not exactly a ghost story, since the only supernatural part is about the Curse of the Shrine God, the series is DEFINITELY not for the faint-hearted. it's actually rather graphic, otherwise heavily hinted.

In a nutshell, the story centres around the Hinamizawa village, at one point a cause for national uproar when a dam was proposed to be built that would cover that village. Needless to say, the project was scrapped due to suspicious circumstances.

Most stories occur during the Watanagashi festival, which is supposedly a festival where to float away your wih on cotton (Wata=cotton, nagashi=flow); however, it was later explained that the term "Watanagashi" could also mean the ripping of intestines, which was an actual ritual done with a hoe in the olden days of Hinamizawa (the body replaced with cotton to hide the true horror).

Every year for the past few years, during the evening of that festival, one person will die while another disappear, supposedly by coincidence.

Keiichi is a resident who had just returned after a long while. Often together is Rena, a childhood friend, Mion, a loud and sociable girl, while Satoko and Rika and two girls several grades below him, plus a few other side characters. The circumstances behind each tragic character is different, but it goes as follows:

SPOILERS BEGIN

-Keiichi is the guy who is often at the center of the horrors around him, and half the time, ends up as the victim as well, as well as being the culprit at times too.

-Rena is the resident psycho, who claims to have once been the target of the curse, and hence gets really scary if anyone even suggests at the the curse being fake.

-Sonozaki Mion is the next leader of the village, being the eldest of two twins of the next generation. The Sonozaki clan is the most powerful of the four head families, hence is also the head of the village. Which pretty much involves her in a lot of dirty business.

-Sonozaki Shion is the twin sister. Because only one can be the leader, and since twins are still considered bad luck, Shion's life hasn't been easy. She also had been the subject of torture with the Sonozaki clan, and only Mion cares for her, since theiy are twins after all.

-Rika is the shrine maiden. The attached facts are obvious. She is also one of the very few people allowed into the sacred shrine, which houses a lot of torture tools.

-Satoko is an orphan, an a victim of child abuse from her uncle and aunt. Her brother, Satoshi, was one of the people who disappeared during the Watanagashi festival.

-----

I haven't finished the series, but while not exactly highly recommended (poor transition between genres IMO, kinda like Fate/Stay Night), I can at least recommend it for it's uniqueness.

03.03.2008, 10:01 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

We have spoiler code now eh? Or does it not work?

I like it so far, but watching 10 eps of the 2nd season probably wrecked it. I liked it though, it fills that void of what I was looking for, and there is a 3rd season too,

Click for Gallery^^

03.03.2008, 10:28 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ugh, not for me then. I don't like blood full stop - there was way too much gore in Elfen Lied for me and anything hinting at disembowellment or torture or self-mutilation and I'm out of here.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.03.2008, 04:07 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
Ugh, not for me then. I don't like blood full stop - there was way too much gore in Elfen Lied for me and anything hinting at disembowellment or torture or self-mutilation and I'm out of here.

Lol, didn't see you as the weak stomach type. There isn't a lot of blood actually, just that there are a few scenes that aren't for the weak-hearted.

Like I said, if you can stomach Hostel, this shouldn't be a problem. But that's the beauty of Japanese horror; they play more on your inner fear rather than out-and-out screamfest.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

03.04.2008, 10:09 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Heh, I have to look away when the doc sticks a needle in my arm. I'm very squeamish and dislike being frightened. I refuse to watch any horror movies or read horror genre books and don't much like many psychological thrillers.

And blood in any form is a real turn off - I can't bear those medical documentaries where they show real surgery - ew!

I don't know Hostel either, so I'll go google it.

I've met someone who was into self-mutilation. First off I cannot get my head around why someone would do that to their own beautiful body and second I feel physically ill when I think about that subject, its completely alien to me.

So, same time next week then Dr. Roarkiller?

BTW, your sig image has been broken for the last few days. Or it is on my PC.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.04.2008, 10:29 AM.

03.04.2008, 10:27 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I 2nd the sig image being broken. I liked how I as mentioned in it. Bring it back!

I liked the show because it decided to tread some of these waters. It was different. I was tired of the same old same old for plot, this is probably the successor series when i'm in an Elfen Lied mood, and I really think seeing the series 3 times in 2 months is too much.

Not to mention I love the 2nd seasons opening theme. So awesome, Rika-chama all the way!

Click for Gallery^^

03.04.2008, 11:03 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Link's down alright. But as much as Sanfan's request has given me this unreal and obsessive urge to put it up again, I'll have to hold myself back. I have an idea of a sig I want to make, although you won't see it for a long while, since I'm generally a lazy bum.

And sorry to hear that Saddle. As for me, I can desensitize myself at will to a point. Hell, I'll bet you anything I can even commit remorseless murder.

Not that I'll be doing any, of course.

03.05.2008, 08:25 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hee hee, what a weird thread! That's so scary Roar, you might have killed and just be in denial or done some selective memory thing.

@ Saddles : ha, ha I love those real surgery programmes! Isn't it funny how they always seem to be on at mealtimes though? Pass the ketchup!

03.05.2008, 08:58 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

@Roar, lol, well your sigbox do what you whilm with it. I can always make a random sig for you to fill the void inbetween your laziness if you like.

and, I am with you on desensitizing. I think once you have been depressed to the lowest point and come back, you can always take a walk down that path whenever the mood hits you. I could numb myself to the point that killing someone would fall by the wayside. But I have too much self-control. I am in the drivers seat for good, and that is the last thing I would actually do.

I'm indifferent on surgery programs, I don't watch enough TV for them to matter, but some of teh graphic war shots from WWI fill me with wonder.

Click for Gallery^^

03.05.2008, 10:48 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Bumping this.

Just about finished the first season. Wow. This is the scariest anime I've ever seen. Like, wow. I was shaking at the end of last night.

It was still good though, like the characters are really deep and get fleshed out alot, but man, Shion is going to haunt me for a while. Watch it for the originality but stay cause you are stuck to your seat.

Click for Gallery^^

03.07.2008, 11:02 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks