QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Girls!!
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Girls!! » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

<.< >.> *grabs picture of Ushio*

I love her. X3 In a non-lesbian way I mean.

03.23.2008, 10:08 AM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I have no issue with any way you love girls. I don't think anyone here would. And I'm being serious here, which way you look at the other or your own gender is your affair if anyone here is critical of that then they are the one with the problem.

And while I'm here...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

03.23.2008, 11:56 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hey Saddles, isn't that first one from Blood: The Last Vampire?

Second one... wow. Just wow.

My Anime List

03.23.2008, 12:57 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You keep putting up that red-head from Onegai Teacher (I think?).
i don't like her... at all.

03.23.2008, 01:27 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well I've said why I find her an interesting person countless times... each to his own of course, it's what makes the world go round.

@ Kaz : The second pic is a beautiful painting isn't it? Its Katsuragi Misato from NGE in playful mood. I find her a fascinating and bewitching person too. I think I've said that before as well

That would also be about as risqué an image as I'm comfortable putting up here.

I definitely seem to go for the older woman with issues... Having a weakness for kimono and yukata doesn't help.

Saya from 'Blood...' is just well drawn. The lip-liner is a bit overdone though. Not sure I'd like to meet her...

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 03.23.2008, 02:03 PM.

03.23.2008, 01:58 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh, yes, I can see the appeal of kimono, I love to dress up all smart and go the whole deal with going out looking as good as I can and the kimono gives such a classic mood of style and femininity even on a young person.

I'd love to own one.

03.23.2008, 02:52 PM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
foreignfilmfreak
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 10.02.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by foreignfilmfreak Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Saddles; Yeah, I just find strong girls with pretty eyes who look out for their friends are wonderful. ^^ But there's so few I find. Ushio's one, and I like a few others that I can't remember. I just always remember Ushio because of her name. X3

Ushi means "cow". lol

03.23.2008, 05:11 PM foreignfilmfreak is offline   Profile for foreignfilmfreak Add foreignfilmfreak to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Some of the Clannad girls, they are pretty cute, but the eyes are so far apart. Maybe its just me. From left to right: Ibuki Fuuko, Furukawa Nagisa and Ichinose Kotomi

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

03.23.2008, 05:15 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can see that I am going to have to try and expand on my Ghibli... I haven't the foggiest notion of who all these ladies are! Some I like the artwork, some not so much. Even so, they are all drawn well.

Call it a personal quirk, but the heavy breasted character just doesn't seem to fit the, can't think of the word, but symetry (sic) will do, of the characters. I see one of the big-busted amazons and it detracts from the story, for me at least. Maybe it's why I like the Miyazaki stories so much. Some people may like it, but, as I said, it detracts from the story. I like my characters more realistically drawn, it makes them more lifelike to me. And, like arren, I am not attracted to them in the manner that he is referring to, I just like the characters in the context of their roles.

Haru in 'Cat...' starts off as an air headed misfit, but by the end, she is a confident, sure of herself person... Shizuku shows less of a difference from start to finish, but acheives her place is smaller, more well defined steps...

Not sure if I am making my thoughts clear, but there they are...

03.25.2008, 09:41 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

yuffie and aeris and tifa are good in there drawn designs

04.21.2008, 11:29 PM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

uh, I did mention that I like girls, ah, women, right???

heck, at my age a 45 yr old women is a girl... lol

Yea, all women of the feminine persuasion

that means women who are women who are women who are...aw, forget it... lol

04.22.2008, 01:13 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I can see that I am going to have to try and expand on my Ghibli... I haven't the foggiest notion of who all these ladies are! Some I like the artwork, some not so much. Even so, they are all drawn well.

Call it a personal quirk, but the heavy breasted character just doesn't seem to fit the, can't think of the word, but symetry (sic) will do, of the characters. I see one of the big-busted amazons and it detracts from the story, for me at least. Maybe it's why I like the Miyazaki stories so much. Some people may like it, but, as I said, it detracts from the story. I like my characters more realistically

Yay!! Obviously this bugs someone else.

04.22.2008, 01:31 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I agree with that too. Sometimes I can ignore it, but at usually it just makes me cringe at how blatant it is. What I really dislike is the fanart that appears now and again in which the "artist" (for want of a better word ) deliberately goes faaaaar beyond reason. *shudder*

04.22.2008, 02:39 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

quote:
Haru in 'Cat...' starts off as an air headed misfit, but by the end, she is a confident, sure of herself person... Shizuku shows less of a difference from start to finish, but achieves her place is smaller, more well defined steps...
Now that’s interesting, I would say the opposite is true. Haru goes through very few changes in TCR, she gains a little confidence but she does fall in love with a magical cat-doll too which is a bit weird. She doesn’t mature much at all. Shizuku on the other hand digs deep into herself and finds out more of who she is, what she’s capable of and what she isn’t more so than any other Ghibli heroine, even Kiki who comes a not very close second. And that’s ignoring the love story (which is secondary in Whisper BTW…).

On the subject of how they are drawn, with the possible exception of Nausicaa, Ghibli’s females are the most realistically proportioned anime females I know. A small number of other series and movies come to mid: Beck, Jin Roh, Honey and Clover… (note these too are firmly in the ‘realism’ bracket. And most refreshing it is too. I like curvy women, don’t misunderstand me, but the extreme beach-ball chested girls are just – well, wrong. And downright freakish in some cases.

Many Japanese do seem to have an obsession with extremely large female chests, I’m curious to know what the history of that is. I can only hazard a guess it’s happened since the end of the Second World War when American forces were stationed there and American GIs brought with them girly magazines showing women who were proportioned unlike the more usual native Japanese shape.

04.22.2008, 06:54 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
with the possible exception of Nausicaa

Why's that?

04.22.2008, 12:24 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

In some scenes/paintings she is too well developed for a 16 year old.

04.22.2008, 03:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
In some scenes/paintings she is too well developed for a 16 year old.

That is true if you think about it.

I think if anything the problem is the age factor. The characters look, by body shape standards, to be older than 16 or whatever age you pick. Now, I don't see a problem in it that much. Now there are examples that give you a wtf way of looking at it. One of the characters from Zero no Tsukaima for an example that comes off the top of my head (I forget her name, but google any picture of the series and you shouldn't have trouble with the identification :rolleyes What I see happening, is that age is merely arbitrary, the characters are drawn to look older, but are given the younger age. I bet because "well-developed" high school age girls move more merchandise. And that is a whole other disscussion.

I see it as being fine as long as it isn't ridiculous, and it is within proportion to the rest of the body. The exaggerations are dumb and annoying to me in most cases. But really, not much any off us can do outside of not watching the series.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

04.22.2008, 03:10 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Well, you have to go with the age the series or movie gives, and most do give it or a very close hint (middle school or high school etc). Nausicaa is supposed to be aged 14-16, so to me she is the only Ghibli female who is proportioned outside reasonable limits. Now she *could* be that shape, there's no law against it and given that she's the only Ghibli youngster to be so drawn I can forgive Miyazaki that one, but when nearly every girl you see is an 'early developer' it gets beyond reasonable.

quote:
What I see happening, is that age is merely arbitrary, the characters are drawn to look older, but are given the younger age. I bet because "well-developed" high school age girls move more merchandise. And that is a whole other disscussion.
Your second sentence pretty much contradicts the first. The age isn't arbitrary and the characters are not drawn to look older (except in the extremely dubious loli stuff where pre-teens are made to look like late-teens... grrr...). Your second statement is the key: "big boobs sell". In this regard Ghibli's girls are even more yummy because Miyazaki chose not to sell his work under that umbrella but on other factors - quality of story being the main one.

Now I'm a normal red-blooded male and the sight of curvy girls pleases me, I'm not saying otherwise, but the issue is just about *every* anime series does it, some are better than others in reining in their artists pens and some are notoriously bad. The girls in EVA are just borderline acceptable and given that Rei is Spoiler!, highlight to read.
a manufactured body
I guess there is a canon excuse for her, but on the whole thinking I will be more likely to watch a series because of the size of the girls chests is insulting to me. I'd much rather watch a well-crafted story (e.g. Haibane where the girls are all believable shapes) than be treated like some lustful out of control teenager.

Meh. Maybe I'm simply out of the selected demographic of the intended audience. Or maybe enough males like to see big chests that there is no longer any hope for many more correctly proportioned girls...?

I mean, its been a standard tactic for ever to get men interested in something - cheerleaders in sport, babes draped over cars at shows comes to mind.

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.22.2008, 03:42 PM.

04.22.2008, 03:29 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Well, you have to go with the age the series or movie gives, and most do give it or a very close hint (middle school or high school etc). Nausicaa is supposed to be aged 14-16, so to me she is the only Ghibli female who is proportioned outside reasonable limits. Now she *could* be that shape, there's no law against it and given that she's the only Ghibli youngster to be so drawn I can forgive Miyazaki that one, but when nearly every girl you see is an 'early developer' it gets beyond reasonable.

I would say she's fairly realistically-shaped. You do get people of various shapes and sizes, so it's only fair that Miyazaki doesn't choose to make them all the same.

04.22.2008, 03:32 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Yup, I did backtrack a tad and admit that

04.22.2008, 03:43 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks