QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...    »  ]
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yesterday, I saw the new Mummy movie--you know, Curse of the Transformer King's Tomb or whatever it was called. Despite not having seen either of the previous films, I knew what to expect (a dumb action movie), and as such set my expectations as low as they would go.

It still sucked.

08.25.2008, 05:45 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
Yesterday, I saw the new Mummy movie--you know, Curse of the Transformer King's Tomb or whatever it was called. Despite not having seen either of the previous films, I knew what to expect (a dumb action movie), and as such set my expectations as low as they would go.

It still sucked.

Best movie review in this thread so far. Hands down.

08.25.2008, 06:22 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
YOU FAIL AT LIFE!!!!!!

Shawn, do you say that a lot? Because you sound like someone that I know, oddly.

08.25.2008, 09:41 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Shawn
Ohmu

Registration Date: 08.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Shawn Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ kiki
Well, if I sound familiar, go look at the forums on bungie.net.
That is like SPAM CENTRAL!
This forum is a thousand times better because we have smart, responsible, and sensible people.
The Bungie forums have over 1 million members, and 90% are annoying little kids, perverted teens, and f_ed up people in general.
I only go there to have real conversations that matter with the few I know.

08.25.2008, 10:35 PM Shawn is offline   Profile for Shawn Add Shawn to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The Shadow Riders... based on a Louis L'Amour novel...

09.04.2008, 02:10 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Who Killed The Electric Car?

I didn't get to see all of it, because the teacher was only showing certain things, but I still thought it was a pretty interesting documentary. And now I want an electric car. xD

09.04.2008, 11:32 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Who Killed . . . ?" is pretty good, although it's pretty depressing to see yet another documentary about how corrupt American society has become. I know it's the truth, but that doesn't make it any more fun to digest.

I've seen quite a few movies recently:

First: "The Exorcism of Emily Rose," which was weird. I'm not sure I could place exactly what was "off" about it, but it just didn't seem to really mesh together. Exorcism is creepy. Yeah.

Next, I saw "Chopping Mall," which was pure, unadulterated, hilarious trash. The plot involves a group of horny teenagers who get accidentally trapped in a shopping mall overnight and are pursued by the mall's newly installed security system--killer robots. With lasers, no less. I couldn't tell if whether or not the humor was intentional, but either way, it was seriously funny.

Then I saw "Matchstick Men," which was pretty good. The plot kind of felt as though it was being stretched in too many directions, though, and the ending seemed too improbable--though I don't think I could dictate a better one. Alison Lohman gives one heck of a performance, and her character is definitely my favorite part of the movie.

Finally, I saw "Donnie Darko," which I had always heard a lot about but had never had the chance to see. It wasn't perfect, but I liked it, and I certainly admired the director's audacity. And, despite claims that the film had no closure, I actually thought the plot came together surprisingly well. I mean, obviously there isn't going to be a logically-airtight conclusion to a film involving a six-foot demonic rabbit.

09.04.2008, 12:16 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, donnie darko's very good. There are a few flaws, but all in all it's very ínteresting and just lovely in the way that it unfolds. I really need to see it again.

I saw Speed Racer today. I thought it was incredible.
The visuals were just truly amzingly mind blowing. Sin City doesn't even come close to ingeniousness of the film. There are so many images where I wished I could just paus the film and look at the picture for 5 minutes.
It was absolutely beautiful. A huge colour overdose orgasm delight. It was amazing.

I can't even relate to the people who didn't like thte story or so, I wasn't even paying attention to that. I was just taking everything in, alllthe colours, all the effects. WHOA!
It's one of the few films that really made me giddy whith excitement when scenes were coming up. And quite possibly the only one who does it purely upon visual basis. I felt that way in batman, but that's because the joker was so awesome etc. Here I would just shake in glee when I realised that another super trippy quatriple rainbow transition was happening again. The way it was shot, the way things transitioned, never seen anything like it. I want to see it again. This time on a 60inch screen in high Def. Oh how I wish I ahd seen it in an iMax cinema..

09.05.2008, 10:37 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Evey
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Evey Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw Hellboy 2 The Golden Army yesterday....has anyone seen it too?
I liked it very much though this time I liked Prince Nuada, so-called bad character, more than Hellboy (can´t think the same way about Rasputin in the first movie) ...Yes,I know that he wanted to destroy humanity, but I find his reason quite understandable....and LOVE his fight abilities, he´s awesome
The singing scene where Abe and Hellboy are singing "Can´t smile without you" is hilarious!
I recommned it to you all,hope you like it too

09.05.2008, 12:45 PM Evey is offline   Profile for Evey Add Evey to your buddy list
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That Hellboy 2 is loved by this Dreamboy too!

But I think I like this Docu-film I saw today better, 'Wisconsin Death Trip', is simply stunning, fantastic photograghy and scene composition.

09.06.2008, 09:03 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@JRR

Yeah, Speed Racer is great isn't it? I loved that movie!! The race scenes were the best. Although I have to admit, at the beginning of the movie, I wasn't sure that my eyes could take this...

09.07.2008, 02:44 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

quote:
Originally posted by Yay! Kiki
@JRR

Yeah, Speed Racer is great isn't it? I loved that movie!! The race scenes were the best. Although I have to admit, at the beginning of the movie, I wasn't sure that my eyes could take this...

I was staring, mouth agape, all the time. The race scenes were absolutely incredible. I know that because they're critics they gotta critisze story and so, but I really didn't care about it at all.
My favourite film critic, Mark Kermode from the BBC (or the guardian) said the same kind of thing. "Of course the sotry isn't perfect, and there's a weird contrast between the childishness of, eg: his younger brother and monkey, and then the whole industrial race gambling thing. But... you don't care! You just stare at the screen, amazed!"

He's the only one that got it right.

09.07.2008, 05:43 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Ramah
Calcifer

Registration Date: 11.05.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ramah Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Going back half a dozen pages or so in this thread, I'd just like to say I wholeheartedly agree with Farren's summation of FF7: Advent Children.

Being a long time fan of FF7 (still the greatest computer game ever created in my opinion) I cannot really say how disappointed I was in the film. So much so that it has retro-actively tarnished the original game? "Was the game like this? Are my memories clouded?"
It seemed to me they tried to distill the game down to its barest bones and thought that is what the fans would like to see. Their result? Several drawn-out fight scenes tethered together by the weakest of plots. Maybe I'm alone but the fight scenes, although the bulk of the game, were the least enjoyable part of it. The whole reason I played was to discover more tantalising glimpses of the incredible story. The fights were just a means to that end. With the film however it is the other way round - what story there is is just an excuse to get to the next overly protracted fight scene. I actually felt more like I was watching a computer game cutscene than the cutscenes in the game itself, which all served to forward the story. It just didn't translate to a film well at all, which was a shame as I'd been desperately wanting to learn more about what happened to the characters ever since I saw Red XIII bounding up that rocky hill with his kids.

Anyway, that said, back to the topic of the thread.

Last night I saw Firewall on TV, the Harrison Ford techno thriller thingy. Was a diverting way to spend a few hours but as usual, it ended up the usual formulaic "husband takes on the kidnappers" with fists type thing that had me rolling my eyes. So, bland and unoriginal. I'd give it two out of five. Virginia Madsen being married to Harrison Ford (who must be like... 30 years older than her) did little to suspend my disbelief.

The night before I watched "Origin: Spirits of the Past" which I picked up in Asda knowing nothing about it and being suckered in by the review snippets calling it "beautiful."
It was ok I guess, nothing special. The story was better handled in Nausicaa I felt and it seemed to make no attempts to explain certain things like, who are the Druids? And those two child like things that appear to be the forests avatars? Looking at the trailer in the extras there are a LOT of scenes that weren't in the film I saw, which made me wonder if it is a cut down version of a TV series? Or if they cut so much out to make it short and sweet that it lost some of its logic?
I'd give it 2.5 out of 5. (3 would be too much but 2 would be churlish).

Post last edited by Ramah on 09.07.2008, 07:34 AM.

09.07.2008, 07:28 AM Ramah is offline   Profile for Ramah Add Ramah to your buddy list
Evey
Kodama

Registration Date: 07.29.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Evey Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chihiros-Dream-Boy
That Hellboy 2 is loved by this Dreamboy too!

Good to know I´m not alone here

09.09.2008, 10:31 AM Evey is offline   Profile for Evey Add Evey to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

watched "Like the Clouds, Like the Wind" again...

simple tale, the subtitles are fast in some cases, had to back up a few times... humorous ending, tho...in a way...

I haven't seen Speed Racer, but I know what you mean about the colors on the screen...

Way, Way ,Way back when, i saw "2001: A Space Odyssey" . You have to remember, we didn't have the technology then that we have now, so when 'Dave' started traveling thru space/time/whatever it was. the colors and patterns were mind boggling to me. I have never dropped acid, but that is what I was thinking an LSD trip might be like...

This would have been, maybe around 1968 or 69... I'll look it up. yeah, it would have been in 1969

I remember that the other film being shown with it was "The Magic Christian" with Ringo Starr, Peter Sellers, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Christopher Lee, Yul Brynner, Raquel Welch, John Cleese, to name a few...
I died with laughing...

Post last edited by husky51 on 09.14.2008, 01:01 AM.

09.14.2008, 12:53 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Loscil
Baron

Today I watched Tropa de Elite, a brazilian film.
It's the one that won the grand prize at this years berlin film festival.

About the elite police (swat like) that enter into the ruthless favelas.
Very heavy stuff.
Torture, extreme brutality, you name it. But... very very good.
Really leaves a lasting impression on you. I recommend it to anyone.

09.15.2008, 06:54 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Loscil
Baron

Watched hellboy 2 the other day. Very good. Amazing worlds and charcters. Del Toro really has his stuff down.

Finished season 1 of the showtime show Dexter on dvd today.
Very good show, really one of the best I've seen in years. Incredibly clever, all of the characters are completely likeable, even the bad guys.
An incredible charm. I'M really impressed.

It's about a blood analyst forensics guy for the Miami PD. HOwevre, in his free time, he's a vigilante serial killer.
HUge recommendation. Prison Break season 3, which i watched before, doesnt even compare.

09.19.2008, 08:15 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Wow... I just watched Whisper of the Heart for... the fourth time? I think so. Wow. Somehow it was so different this time. Different in a really amazing way. It was so sweet and pretty much everything seemed just... better.

My Anime List

09.29.2008, 05:40 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've still only seen it once... I'll have to watch it again some time soon, I think.

09.29.2008, 06:09 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Saw "The Fall" the other day. Utterly amazing. It looked fantastic on screen, and every second of it was very beautiful, whilst telling a fantastic fantasy tale and a real one all at once. It was fantastic, and I rather liked it.

I am probably going to buy it once it gets a tad bit cheaper, perhaps a previously viewed edition.. but anyway, it really was a fantastic movie, very lovely. Yay!

09.30.2008, 12:00 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
[  «    ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks