QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - What Movie(s) did you watch today?
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Tavern » General Discussions » What Movie(s) did you watch today? » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gigantic_red_bow {Kiki}
Wait... Orphic.. it isn't 2007 anymore... I believe that it's 2008 unless I am mistaken.. or something. I probably am.

It isn't 2007 anymore, but that's when "Once" was released, so it can't very well be my favorite movie of 2008. I won't pick a favorite movie of 2008 until I've seen all the good ones released during this full year--meaning I probably won't have picked one until halfway through 2009.

05.29.2008, 10:34 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ah. I thought that you were talking about Iron Man, in which case that I have to go and see it if it's the best movie. Aha!@

05.29.2008, 11:39 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I haven't even seen Iron Man. Most people seem to think it's good.

05.30.2008, 08:00 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, yesterday I saw:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (absolutely amazing, one of the most moving films I have ever seen).

Charlie Wilsons War (really dissappointed. Stereotype filled, over-acting crap).

PS I Love You (alright, I guess. Like most RomComs. Better than Charlie Wilsons War, definitely).

Bugs Life (not best pixar, but funny characters).

Indiana Jones 4 (I was very dissappointed. Id heard mediocre reviews, but then my family like it, so I thought: maybe its just the critics. Well. Its not the critics. Its worse than the critics said. REally dissappointed. Came out the cineam thinking it wasnt very good but thikning back on it now Im even more dissappointed).

Yes, that is right. I did see 5 movies yesterday.
And some TV show episodes as well.
What do you want, on a 13hr flight?

06.02.2008, 06:19 AM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
frigidchill
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.13.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by frigidchill Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched a film the other night.

Jacob's Ladder.

I URGE EVERYONE TO WATCH THIS FILM. It's an incredibly original concept, confusing and down right disturbing at times. But the killer twist is certainly worth the wait.

06.02.2008, 08:38 AM frigidchill is offline   Profile for frigidchill Add frigidchill to your buddy list Send an Email to frigidchill
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah, I've heard of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and Jacob's Ladder. They did sound good. I'll see them at some point, I expect.

06.02.2008, 08:39 AM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by JRR
Well, yesterday I saw:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (absolutely amazing, one of the most moving films I have ever seen).

I spent weeks vainly trying to persuade people how good this movie was after seeing it at the cinemas.
The sense of claustrophobia and frustration created through the direction and cinematography is amazing.

06.02.2008, 09:02 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Ray15
Totoro

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Ray15 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well in the last few weeks, I've seen Iron Man, Indiana Jones and some other movies I fail to remember >_<

I just woke up about an hour ago but yesterday I watched "how high"

Thanks for the Sig #1 Sanfan

06.02.2008, 01:40 PM Ray15 is offline   Profile for Ray15 Add Ray15 to your buddy list Send an Email to Ray15 AIM Screenname: ryanclms YIM Screenname: Ryan Weaver
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I saw a bit of Life Is Beautiful. I've seen it properly before though (although I might have missed the very beginning that time?) and it's a really good film.

06.02.2008, 02:05 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

At this exact moment I am halfway through the first Death Note movie. I think I'd probably be enjoying this much more if I hadn't seen the anime. They've really messed up the plot... well, they've kinda dumbed it down. Some things don't make as much sense as they did in the anime, it's lost it's sophistication IMO. It's an OK film though, I think I'd watch it again. L still hasn't made his appearance yet, if he's really good then my opinion may improve.

My Anime List

Post last edited by Kazegami on 06.02.2008, 04:17 PM.

06.02.2008, 04:17 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Well, it is quite a long series. They'd have to make changes here and there to get it to fit into the time available for a film.

06.02.2008, 04:19 PM arren18 is online   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Kazegami
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 08.19.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Kazegami Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well then they should've made two films to encompass the plot. I'd have thought common sense would tell them it wouldn't really be feasible to try to compress all that into one. I know there's a second film but I don't think that has anything really to do with the original plot. Or maybe it does, I don't know yet. But judging by the pace this film is going at, it probably won't and everything covered in the anime has been abridged and squished into this.

My Anime List

06.02.2008, 04:26 PM Kazegami is offline   Profile for Kazegami Add Kazegami to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Movies that try to encompass a whole series are rather on a hiding to nothing IMO, as there's too much material to cram in as Kaz has noted. Far better to slot an independent story at some point into the anime (like the Cowboy Bebop movie did) or just ignore the series and do an alternative story (like the GITS2 movie).

I didn't watch any movies today. I honestly cannot now remember the last live action movie I watched. I don't think I've watched one this year actually.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.02.2008, 05:43 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I'm gonna watch "Tales from Earthsea" tonight... Just got it in the mail... Had to make a follow-up phonecall... Happy yayness, now...

Gawd, I think that I getting too much Kiki input, eh?

06.02.2008, 06:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Chihiros-Dream-Boy
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.29.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Chihiros-Dream-Boy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I'm gonna watch "Tales from Earthsea" tonight...

Just don't expect to be entertained much by it, it's like the poor relative, it's the 'Temple of Doom' of the Ghibli Films!

06.02.2008, 06:44 PM Chihiros-Dream-Boy is offline   Profile for Chihiros-Dream-Boy Add Chihiros-Dream-Boy to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Well, it will help, I'm sure that I've read the books by Le Guin. Long, long ago but again recently as well...

Forgot to mention that I watched 'Nausicaa' and 'Only Yesterday' last night...

while recovering from two hours of sitting in the local public pool, where I'll be a lot this summer. Bought a season pass for once.

06.02.2008, 06:48 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51 I'm sure that I've read the books by Le Guin. Long, long ago but again recently as well...
Again, that won't help you. Sadly.

In fact I think Earthsea is better if you haven't read the books. I haven't and I think it's an okay movie, still Ghibli's weakest but enjoyable enough.

ZOMG! I discussed Ghibli. Gasp. You can stop that RIGHT NOW young man!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

06.02.2008, 07:02 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Loscil
Baron

Registration Date: 08.06.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Loscil Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
I honestly cannot now remember the last live action movie I watched.

And very sad that is indeed.

06.02.2008, 08:08 PM Loscil is offline   Profile for Loscil Add Loscil to your buddy list Send an Email to Loscil
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Aww, don't be sad, I'm fine with it, really

Post last edited by Saddletank on 06.03.2008, 01:30 AM.

06.02.2008, 08:13 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by frigidchill
I watched a film the other night.

Jacob's Ladder.

I URGE EVERYONE TO WATCH THIS FILM. It's an incredibly original concept, confusing and down right disturbing at times. But the killer twist is certainly worth the wait.

It's funny when titles include the names of my friends... hahahahaha...

@miyrru
I don't think that he was very serious about thinking that it was sad... I wouldn't really tell someone that... didn't like... the same music as me... that it was sad and actually be sad about it. Yay!

06.02.2008, 08:34 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks