QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - husky 51`s poems
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Tavern General Discussions husky 51`s poems Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]
OnYourMark
Warawara

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

So.. what? are we supposed to post our own poems? i'm lost...

Anyway, here are a few of my poems:

The Incompetence of Language
I have searched through my mind, and through the pages:
There is no word worthy
To tell what is in my heart—
It is impossible.

Will and Faith
The man asked God about his wife,
About his cars and kids
He then asked God about his faith
And why God seemed to skimp

“You gave to me all that I asked
Except this very thing:
You have not blessed me with more faith
My faith seems ill and weak.”

God answered back with silent words
To give the man a chance
But finally the man cried out
“I know not what to do!”

“Your wife,” God said, “your cars, and kids
I did not give to you
You sought for those things on your own
But faith you did neglect.”

(Can this be considered a poem?) Dear Prudence,
It is requested that you return at once. The urgency of this desire shall be made known to you when you look to the sky, to the deep blue shades shadowed by the fluttering twitters of scarlet, and see your brother who looks upon them, the same who longs for your presence. The days have changed since last you set eyes upon this world, or your ears to its song. Yesterday’s clench has loosed. A fresh tune calls you; it roars like a sea of green hills underfoot. On it will you trod home? We were but children since last we met face-to-face, and I long to meet you again under daylight’s waxing grace. Yes, dear Prudence, the sun has returned to this land, so let me see you smile again.
With Love,
Your Brother

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

04.20.2008, 06:02 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
seasprite
Ohmu

Registration Date: 03.22.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by seasprite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

to all---

orange(or lemon come to that)?

04.20.2008, 06:20 AM seasprite is offline   Profile for seasprite Add seasprite to your buddy list
seasprite
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by seasprite Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

sorry again for double entry (and my moment of flippancy back there)

hey , I think we`v started something here, it could wind up being an anthology!!!!!

@ on your mark----i do like "dear prudence" and as roarkiller so correctly alluded, not all poetry is verse, and some verse(mine mostly it would seem) is just dogerral!

here`s a word from a poem call Julia by herrick that i love as it`s so descriptive--liquefaction!----

and i love "the flea" by donne.... when i can remember exactly how it goes i`l bring it to you----i have no talent for memorising poems but i do remember how they made me feel, thats what really matters don`t you think??

04.20.2008, 06:30 AM seasprite is offline   Profile for seasprite Add seasprite to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ Roar...

I would love to see some of your versions of the "I don't know' tune. I used to sing that in the Navy.

@ Saddles...

love the 'rain is thin' concept... thanks...

@On your mark...

As seasprite referenced Roar... not all poetry has to rhyme.

@seasprite...
the 'flea' you said by Donne... could it be this one I learned when about 12.

Big fleas have little fleas
Upon their backs to bite'm,
And little fleas have lesser fleas
And so, ad infinitum!

EDIT: ah, it's not I see... good anyway.

And even tho this thread is labeled, "Husky 51's poem's", I like the idea of having a place where you can put something like this. So what the heck, post away my friends...

And so with this,
I bid adieu
The next posting
Is up to you...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.20.2008, 11:51 AM.

04.20.2008, 11:47 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I used to sing that in the Navy.

I really wish you'd put in an "and" after "that". That would be funny.

04.20.2008, 11:51 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by arren18
quote:
Originally posted by husky51
I used to sing that "and" in the Navy.

I really wish you'd put in an "and" after "that". That would be funny.

Whatever do you mean...

I tell people all the time
Poetry's not for my sort,
If I do it much, much more,
I'll end up in a 'book'ing court...

yeah, I know..."big GROAN", lol

04.20.2008, 03:03 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kinda hard, Husky, I do it on the fly.
Like sayings, given spontaneously.
I'll give one now too, for you to live by;
C'est la vie, my friend, c'est la vie.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

04.21.2008, 08:43 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Maho_Fushida
Baron

Registration Date: 09.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Maho_Fushida Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I’m sat here bored in my skull.
This Irish weather, shoot, it’s dull.
I want to go walking but it would be a pain,
Because I hate getting wet in THIS kind of rain.

You see, this rain ain’t thin,
It’s fat, you see? That’s the thing!

04.21.2008, 09:13 AM Maho_Fushida is offline   Profile for Maho_Fushida Add Maho_Fushida to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

WONDERFUL! Very good samples! Thank you all!!! Now I don't feel so alone in here, just me and seasprite...

that's is a saying of mine...c'est la vie', if something doesn't go right or the way iI want, hey, c'est la vie...lol

I like seeing little poems like this. It is fun to see what people can come up with...

Poetry is fun for all,
Be ye big or little and small.
Need a poem, gie me a call,
Summer, Spring, Winter or Fall!

04.21.2008, 06:37 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
OnYourMark
Warawara

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OnYourMark Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Is this poem difficult to understand? I wrote it for an English class assignment.

The nation bowed and sunk its head;
It sighed and turned away.
Its head as pale as solemn grief;
Its hands as cold as grey.

The face within the wooden box
Stared at the faces filled
With sorrow and solemnity
For monarch who was killed.

The sullen face it seemed to say
To move on without tears.
The nation, though, could not move on,
Could not forget the years

The face within the wooden box
Had never failed to save,
Until one day a deadly blow
Had placed it in the grave

The face had built the nation up
In time of long despair;
A dragon had tormented them
Put their walls past repair.

But then one day the face appeared
And put it in a cage.
The people then rejoiced to see
The dragon’s muted rage

The people gave the face a crown,
But brother of the face
In brooding jealousy appeared
And he the king defaced

“I find myself now in the ground.
Move past your long despair,”
The face said to the mourning crowd
In hope they’d leave him there.

“I’m just a face, I’m just a face,
Why won’t you leave me in my place?”

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775.

04.22.2008, 04:04 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Farren
Baron

Registration Date: 07.18.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Farren Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

@ onyourmark

that was very good mate.

04.22.2008, 05:22 AM Farren is offline   Profile for Farren Add Farren to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

@mark...

very nice...

04.22.2008, 07:25 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
The face had built the nation up
In time of long despair;
A dragon had tormented them
Put their walls past repair.

But then one day the face appeared
And put it in a cage.
The people then rejoiced to see
The dragon’s muted rage

The people gave the face a crown,
But brother of the face
In brooding jealousy appeared
And he the king defaced

I'm trying to work out who 'the face' is and which nations these are. The above three verses are the key ones but I don't know which nation is 'the dragon'. My first thought was that the dragon is China. The ruler of the country who bested the nation that the dragon represents (China?) was then betrayed by his brother. Is this a medieval event? Korea and China? Or Thailand and China?

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

04.22.2008, 07:51 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

(Saddles quote) I'm trying to work out who 'the face...'

I was trying to figure that one out myself, hard part is the 'brother'... Not fitting anything that I can recall offhand. Not that i am an expert on royalty, etc...

You came up with a good one there, Mark...

As I sat here,
Friends departed.
Tried to get,
The grey cells started.

Eyes are drooping,
Mind is mush.
Got to give
Myself a push.

I gave it up
All was lost.
I Thanked my stars,
There was no cost...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.22.2008, 06:52 PM.

04.22.2008, 06:51 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
seasprite
Ohmu

that one about the fleas isnt Donne but glad i was reminded!

ya see what we started!!!!!

04.23.2008, 11:16 AM seasprite is offline   Profile for seasprite Add seasprite to your buddy list
husky51
The Old Guy

We started this.
A good ol' thread
Makes me sleepy,
So to bed.

Thinking thoughts
Of melody
Where it goes
Wait and see

(hahaha, had another last line in mind, but...lol)

Fun we're having
Posting rhyme.
Lots of fun
And lots of time...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.24.2008, 12:01 AM.

04.24.2008, 12:00 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Ahh... my poem is awesome!

My name is Tate
And I'm always late
People here call me Kiki
And nothing rhymes with that...
Yay!!!

Awesome, correct?

04.24.2008, 12:35 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
OnYourMark
Warawara

=|
If I explain the poem, it might lose the little magic it has, and you guys might be disappointed.

>.<
There are four characters in the poem: the face, the nation, the dragon, and the face's brother.

The face is just a person, and he was the king of the nation. The nation is basically the group of people who were mourning the death of their king, the face.

From "The face had built the nation up" all the way to "And he the king defaced" is a flashback, talking about the face's slaying of the dragon who had tormented the nation. And then it talks about how the face's brother killed the face, which is why the face is dead now.

Even though the face is dead, the nation can’t stop mourning him, and they can’t move past their grief. The dead face tries to tell the nation to move on, because now he’s not living, he’s just a body, just a shell, just a face within a wooden box (a body in a coffin).

And that’s basically it. So… I guess the poem was difficult to understand =(

04.24.2008, 12:37 AM OnYourMark is offline   Profile for OnYourMark Add OnYourMark to your buddy list Homepage of OnYourMark AIM Screenname: OnYourMarkItsumo
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

A thousand hairy savages sitting down to lunch
gobble gobble
gulp gulp
munch munch munch

(Spike Milligan at his best)

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Post last edited by Saddletank on 04.24.2008, 08:39 AM.

04.24.2008, 08:38 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
husky51
The Old Guy

quote:
Originally posted by gigantic_red_bow {Kiki}
Ahh... my poem is awesome!

My name is Tate
And I'm always late
People here call me Kiki
And nothing rhymes with that...
Yay!!!

Awesome, correct?

You have challenged me to thoughtfully referee this problem with some alacrity and baloney and kick a flea across the Leigh with my boot-ie while it screams free! like a banshee as it becomes a refugee from Galilee before it becomes fricasee abalone cooked by a chimpanzee from Dundee with some tea, mai oui' ...

shall I go on???

If I was born in Lombardy,
Or over there in Normandy,
I doubt, if ever, I would see.
An Indian, Cree or Cherokee...

I could be a Sadducee
Or maybe even Pharisee
I'd wave so long to dear Kiki
As I sailed far oversea...

I would be an absentee
Looking up my pedigree,
Searching geneology
Am I really from a bee???

As I rest upon my knee
Tired from this repartee
I love, I do, this poetry
Finished now, oh yay, what glee...

WHEW!!!!

EDIT:
I think that the word "orange" is considered to be the only word in the English language that does not rhyme with any other English word...

Post last edited by husky51 on 04.24.2008, 02:37 PM.

04.24.2008, 02:30 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
[  «    1  2  3  4  5  6  ...    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks