QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Neon Genesis Evangelion
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Neon Genesis Evangelion » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
fenkashi
Dibs on Supreme Overlord

Registration Date: 08.12.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by fenkashi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hm, I was talking about the movie...and yes, Akira would be there along with the Ghiblies if I'd thought longer about it xP These are just off the top of my head. ^^ So I guess we can take out GitS.

As to your second point, definitely yes. It's terribly hard to define it. For the most part, I've thought of them as older animes. Some people say say, pre-Eva is classic. Others say anime is classic depending on its popularity, and then you can also take things to be classic based on the quality of the anime (like you said, considering plot, style, music and such).

I was listing stuff that I've generally found to be passed off as classic xP

05.21.2008, 09:29 PM fenkashi is offline   Profile for fenkashi Add fenkashi to your buddy list
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Registration Date: 03.07.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Saddletank
The movie to watch T.C. is "End of Evangelion". The other one "Death and Rebirth" is a bit odd, not odd weird but an odd choice of content since it is 66% a recap of teh whole series and 33% a continuation of teh story but not ALL the story - it ends just when things are getting good - "End of" then finishes that story but NOT where "D and R" ends! Confusing, yes. So just watch "End of".

And EVA is my favourite anime of all time, its just - ah words can't describe it. "Whisper" is my favourite Ghibli and while you just can't compare EVA to Whisper since they are so different I really can't decide if I might like EVA more than Whisper or not.

@ Mnem : is you are halfway through EVA then you are just at the point where it really begins to get good. If you like Rei, you'll love ep.13's start where she speaks her poem or song. Just really pay attention to the words, really really hard. After the series ends and you've discovered Rei's background, come back to ep.13 and listen again. I get goosebumps down my spine every time I heaar that song/poem.

And guys - no spoilers here please about Rei, let's let Mnem find out for herself

Thanks for your concern about the spoilers. Yeah, I read about that song. See, about a second after I told a friend of mine that I was watching Eva, she told me half the spoilers. I just went "Oh, well, uh, thanks..." So, I went ahead and read the plot on wikipedia, and though it spoiled it for me, it has made the series a heap more easier to understand. And so far, the only minor problem I find with the show is that it has alot of fanservice.

It was funny, because the other day, I was on another forum, and I mentioned I watched Eva (or maybe she saw my signiture, its Shinji) and she was totally grossed out and went into a rampage on how Eva sucks and it's a bad show and all the fans hate it (which really doesnt make any sense to me) and how it is "terrible in all its emo glory", yet, at the end of her little rant, she said how she has actually never watched or read it, doesnt even know what its about, and she was just going on "based off what people told her". That, my friends, is what we call ignorance. I wasnt so mad on that she insulted the show, just how she could so heavily insult it without even have seen it. -sigh- People...

Tomowrow I'm going to an Anime convention for the first time. Maybe they will be some Eva stuff there. ^^

And lastly, why dont you guys just make a Classic Anime thread?

Regret is a needle
In my neck
It's slowly filling me with Poison
Spreading to my chest

-From Forsaken by Skillet

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

05.23.2008, 05:40 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mnemosyne
See, about a second after I told a friend of mine that I was watching Eva, she told me half the spoilers. I just went "Oh, well, uh, thanks..."
Uh, I hate people like that. And EVA is one of the worst shows to do spoilers on! Uh, just hearing you say that make sme angry! Some boy in my daughters class walked up to her about 3 days after she bought the last but one Harry Potter book and shouts out, "Oh it was great! X died!" and she almost hit him. How stupid are these people?

quote:
Originally posted by Mnemosyne
I wasnt so mad on that she insulted the show, just how she could so heavily insult it without even have seen it. -sigh- People...
Uh-huh, there's too many of those people around too. Sheep.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.23.2008, 06:00 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mnemosyne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I do seriously believe half the problems in this world can be solved by educating ignorant people. Not ignorant as in not formally educated (although that would help too), but ignorant as in closed-minded.

BTW, the same thing happened to after I bought the 5th HP book. EVERYONE I met screamed out"Oh! So-and-so dies! So sad!" And I was just like "Yes, well, T_T"

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

05.23.2008, 10:08 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

We were in a long queue at midnight to get HP7 and you could pick the book up from stacks around the store then queue to pay for it, which was a stupid system because in front of us was a group of about 4 teenagers who immediately flipped to the back pages and began reading! Aloud! Arh! Some people are so annoying!

What is the point in buying a 600 page book full of fantastic story when all you want to know is the ending?

We left the queue and dropped back several places just to avoid them.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of EVA and let us know what you think.

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

05.24.2008, 03:50 AM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Kind of missed out on the major part of the discussion but anyway: I completely agree with you Mirryu, thats what i mean - Mushishi is (at least in my opinion) better than NGE but NGE seems to be considered more of a classic. perhaps that is because of the time factor but i think it might also have something to do with the apparent content of the two series. NGE kind of has the whole mecha thing as a conventional hook that hides the complex emotional storyline until later on, but try explaining the plot of mushishi to someone who hasnt seen it... "Umm, while theres this guy.. with white hair and one eye.. and he goes around and does... things.. with these bug things..". so from an outsider perspective, which seems more attractive to a regular anime viewer?

Post last edited by T.C. on 05.26.2008, 07:07 AM.

05.26.2008, 07:04 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im not sure if Mushishi and NGE and be directly comparable.

Like, I get NGE. I saw it through twice. It was great as the second series ever I watched, but as I added more and more on it, it still is good, but it isnt the be all end all of anime. Neither is Mushishi, but Mushishi wins on originality points, less convoluted story, less is put the the watchers head for interpretation. NGE loses in this deal because what you get out of it is what you care to put into it. You can delve into all the philosophy that may or may not be there, and come out with a visceral life perspective, or you can watch it asking yourself how old Rei really is ().

Mushishi is more direct. Less is put up to the watcher to figure out, but each episode is a great story that is interesting and intriguing from start to finish. Ginko being a great lead and having a great world that is wonderfully animated and interacts with the world to uncover the mysteries.

So you can't really compare them, but some people will get more out of a more leisurely paced Mushishi then a intensively paced NGE. Both are great, and I would say both are classics, NGE to me now is just too complex to care and I dont want to devote the brainpower to watch it as it needs to be watched.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.26.2008, 11:49 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
T.C.
Totoro

Registration Date: 08.28.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by T.C. Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

in that case, perhaps my judgment of NGE has soemthing to do with the very short time-span within which i watched it all.
I will try it again one day, but i dont own it, just borrowed from a friend at school.

06.02.2008, 08:24 AM T.C. is offline   Profile for T.C. Add T.C. to your buddy list
Mnemosyne
Tanuki

(Wow, I havent logged in to this forum in ages. >_______> )

AHA. So, has anyone here read the Angelic Days spin off. A friend of mine (who happens to like Angelic Days more than the original) lent the first volume to me. I would love to say it was a refreshing and entertaining alternative to the rather dark and complicated series, but alas, I must say that it was poorly drawn and made me want to drown myself in the coffee maker. I wasnt too happy about the fact that Kowaru was used cheifly for comedic relief, and that Rei is along the lines of "OH HAI GAIZ I HAS TOAST. I HAVE A SHORT SKIRT AND I'M AN APPARANT FLIRT, LOL. KAWAI DESU DESU!!!!11one!!!"

I truly cringed.

I had really hoped for something a little better, maybe something that doesnt (excuse the term) rape the personality of every character.

Also, I wanted my little emo Shinji back. I missed his ramblings on his unimportance and lonliness. :3

Regret is a needle
In my neck
Spreading to my chest

Say it Nem-OH-sen-ee.

Post last edited by Mnemosyne on 12.09.2008, 06:35 PM.

12.09.2008, 06:35 PM Mnemosyne is offline   Profile for Mnemosyne Add Mnemosyne to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I read most of it I think. Only manga I ever really read.

The thing is that it is designed to be like that. It is to be an alternate telling of the story. I for one, liked it in a sense that it was a different take. The original story was a little intense, still good though, but it was nice to roll back on the seriousness and have things be more fun. I liked it when Rei had more then like 20 lines for the whole of the series. I dunno, say what you will, but you might be being a little overly critical, but these things happen when you think you know characters and see them in a new light.

Little bit of a dredge, but I guess its still good lol.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.09.2008, 08:00 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks