QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Films Similar To Miyazaki's
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Films Similar To Miyazaki's » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  «    1  2  ]
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Neal
dballred - I HAVE seen all (well almost all) the Ghibli films, that's why I made this thread - I'm dying for more but as there isn't any left I'm looking for the next best thing.

By 'few' anime I meant 20-30. Some people have seen 100+ so my 20-30 is 'few' by that definition.

Here's what I've seen, tell me if I missed any:

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind
Laputa: The Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of the Fireflies
Only Yesterday
Pom Poko
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Whisper of the Heart
The Cat Returns
Tales from Earthsea
Panda! Go Panda!
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
Conan, The Boy of The Future
The Adventures of Hols, Prince of the Sun
Animal Treasure Island

What I have not seen:

On Your Mark
Ocean Waves
Gauche the Cellist
Chie the Brat
Ponyo On A Cliff by the Sea

...so I have seen the majority of the Ghibli/Miyazaki films, unless there's some I don't know about.

What have I missed?

Not much in the Ghibli department. You've seen one that I haven't (Animal Treasure Island). I am wondering if this one isn't entitled Nazo no Kazanto (Mysterious Volcanic Island).

I've seen On Your Mark, Ocean Waves, and Chie the Brat. They're all worth seeing. For me, Chie the Brat is definitely worth several repeat viewings. I hope to get to see Ponyo in a few weeks. On Your Mark is a beautifully done film, but it's a music video only a few minutes long. Ocean Waves, which was a televised show, is OK--but I see little value added by being animated vice live action.

In the Gauche the Cellist vein, which I haven't yet seen, there's also Taneyamagahara no Yoru (Taneyamagahara Night) and Iblard no Jikan (Iblard Time)--which I have seen. These are low-profile Ghibli products released the same day Gedo was released on DVD. The former is a folktale narrative that acts like an old-time traditional Japanese storyteller's slide show. The latter is a showcase of Iblard (Whisper of the Heart) imagery with a soothing muscial backdrop.

One Ghibli notable that might be a bit hard to locate is Yanagawa Horiwari Monogatari (Story of the Yanagawa Waterways), which was an NHK special run in 1988. It's a true, non-animated special co-directed by Takahata and Miyazaki about a town that recues its canal system and reaps great rewards. The Japanese DVD also has an English language track. I swear that the ten minute scene where Chihiro cleans the stink god is a complete metaphor of this three-hour show.

For uplifting and positive stories that don't get too convoluted, try Junkers Come Here (which I like immensely) or Brave Story (which others like immensely). There's also Arashi no Yori Ni (On a stormy night), which is a modern day fable. Toki wo Kakeru Shojo (the Girl who Leapt through time) is also pretty good.

Also, there have been several animated TV series with a Ghibli look and feel. Takahata was connected to the Heidi series, for example. Miyazaki was connected to a few of the Lupin episodes.

Post last edited by dballred on 06.26.2008, 08:05 PM.

06.26.2008, 08:02 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
NausicaaLover
Kodama

Registration Date: 06.20.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by NausicaaLover Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dballred
quote:
Originally posted by Neal
Well, I've seen very few animes so thus far all the English dubs have been good (to me, at least). Tekkonkinkreet, Ghost in the Shell and the Ghibli films that are dubbed by Pixar.

I may run into a time when watching subbed is better but so far the dubs have been good.

I will check out those Shinkai films, they sound good.

If you've seen only a few animes so far, then you've got a lot more Ghibli and Miyazaki to go through.

1. See Future Boy Conan (not Detective Conan). This one's hard to get and even harder to get with subtitles--but it's a jewel! Miyazaki directed and animated this 26-episode TV series back in 1978. This is like watching a 13-hour long Miyazaki movie.

2. See the Little Norse Prince. This is an ancient (196 example of Miyazaki before he got his "look." Nonetheless, his attention to detail shows up--and it's a great story. It does have a dated, "hippie" look and feel, though.

3. Watch every animated Ghibli feature film. Every one. This is mandatory homework. There isn't a bad one in the bunch, so there's no excuse skipping over one.

If you haven't seen any Satoshi Kon films, you're missing a lot. Tread carefully, though, because he can get a bit edgy. Ghibli fans should have no difficulty with Tokyo Godfathers or Millennium Actress.

If you haven't seen any Ohtomo films, you might or might not be missing anything. He has done many films with critical acclaim, such as 'Akira,' but I've yet to find any of his that I like.

I have always wanted to watch Future boy Conan but I dont know where to get it, yet. Plus, I don't think I can afford the time to watch the whole series.

I've watched all the movies directed by Satoshi Kon but I found his works are much more influenced by Hollywood than Miyazaki's . They're different but they're no less enjoyable to watch tbh. I like Perfect Blue and Paprika in particular.

As for Makoto Shinkai, I think his early works are clearly influenced by Miyazaki, but he did get some very solid titles: 5cm/s and The places promised in our early days. If you haven't ; watched Garden of Words, his latest work; it's a must also imo. It's visually breathtaking and has a rather charming story

07.30.2013, 09:27 AM NausicaaLover is offline   Profile for NausicaaLover Add NausicaaLover to your buddy list
Koda
Ohmu

Registration Date: 07.09.13
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've seen 5 centimetres per second, planning on getting The places promised in our early days. I can't find Garden of words anywhere though, I do only watch anime on DVD or Blu Ray, I know it limits me but I don't have access to a computer or laptop very much.

07.30.2013, 01:53 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Garden of Words isn't out on DVD yet, AFAIK. It was only in cinemas about 2 months ago. And its "The Place Promised in our Early Days"

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.30.2013, 02:26 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Koda Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just copied, it from the earlier post. Oh okay, that might be why then haha.

The place promised in our early days is expensive as well.

Any other recommendations, things with picturesque places ? Like Arrietty, not the storyline but the place.

07.30.2013, 02:29 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
leonbloy
Warawara

Registration Date: 10.26.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by leonbloy Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:

Any other recommendations, things with picturesque places ? Like Arrietty, not the storyline but the place.

I love Mai Mai's miracle

07.30.2013, 03:21 PM leonbloy is offline   Profile for leonbloy Add leonbloy to your buddy list Homepage of leonbloy
Koda
Ohmu

quote:
Originally posted by leonbloy
quote:

I love Mai Mai's miracle

Where would I find a copy of this on DVD or Blu Ray

Either Subbed or Dubbed ?

07.31.2013, 03:01 AM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by SpideyIncarnated
quote:
Originally posted by leonbloy
quote:

I love Mai Mai's miracle

Where would I find a copy of this on DVD or Blu Ray

Either Subbed or Dubbed ?

I don't think you can get it here. I saw it in cinema but as far as I know it hasn't been released on DVD in the UK. That's a limitation of insisting on buying all your anime.

07.31.2013, 05:34 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I got my copy off of eBay... loved the film, btw

07.31.2013, 10:22 AM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Saddletank
Miyazaki's Best Friend

Registration Date: 09.28.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Saddletank Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Spidey, "The Girl Who Leaped Through Time" is really fun, and also quite sweet in places. Also cheap!

"An old man like me stands no chance fighting against a high school girl in her underwear" - Oshino Meme, Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

07.31.2013, 01:47 PM Saddletank is offline   Profile for Saddletank Add Saddletank to your buddy list Send an Email to Saddletank
Koda
Ohmu

I've seen that Saddle, it was indeed a very good film, as was Summer Wars. Husky, is there anymore ?.

Arren, yeah it is a tad annoying sometimes

07.31.2013, 02:02 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
husky51
The Old Guy

Registration Date: 03.17.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by husky51 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

There may be some available on other sites, but all I see on eBay is a couple of Japanese language art books on the film.

07.31.2013, 02:45 PM husky51 is offline   Profile for husky51 Add husky51 to your buddy list Send an Email to husky51
Koda
Ohmu

Damm, going to have to search for this then I see.

07.31.2013, 02:49 PM Koda is offline   Profile for Koda Add Koda to your buddy list Send an Email to Koda
[  «    1  2  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks