QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Films Similar To Miyazaki's
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Ghibli Discussions » Films Similar To Miyazaki's » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Films Similar To Miyazaki'sPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Post last edited by on 07.29.2013, 11:34 PM.

06.13.2008, 10:11 PM  
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You know, I just recently watched an anime called "Kino No Tabi"... I didn't really think that it was very much like Miyazaki, but there was a comment on it that said that the atmosphere was similar, so you know... other than that, I haven;t got anything@! Yay!

06.17.2008, 04:27 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Re:Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Post last edited by on 07.29.2013, 11:35 PM.

06.22.2008, 05:58 PM  
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for, but anything by Makoto Shinkai. The Place Promised in Our Early Days, or Voices of a Distant Star for starters.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

06.22.2008, 08:57 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

IMHO, Miyazaki's films are distinctive and unique. Nobody does animation like he does. The fact that you instinctively put it in a a category other than 'anime' should tell you a lot.

That said, Isao Takahata and Miyazaki can mimic each others' style--and they don't seem to mind it. They have been working side by side for decades. Takahata most looked like Miyazaki when he did television shows.

06.23.2008, 01:09 AM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
  Re:Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

06.23.2008, 02:09 PM  
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Honestly check out Shinkai's work. He is hailed as a new Miyazaki and he might have the most beautiful animation out of everything, look that direction for at least The Place Promised in Our Early Days and then maybe try 5cm Per Second.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

06.23.2008, 02:24 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Unregistered User

Registration Date:

06.23.2008, 03:10 PM  
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

I know Place Promised in Our Early Days is dubbed, cause my downloaded version was, Voices of a Distant Star isnt im pretty sure, and 5cm Per Second I think is still a little new, but honestly, anime is better enjoyed imo in the original language, give it a shot sometime.

Click for Gallery^^

06.23.2008, 03:16 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I watched the beginning of "The Place Promised in our Early Days", now I just have to get around to finishing it. I got to about the point where they were...
shoot, never mind, it's a spoiler. And I can't do the spoiler thingy. Darn...

06.23.2008, 03:56 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:

06.23.2008, 09:49 PM  
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Trust me, Im as far from a purist as it gets. I just accept that since I download most of mine, its all subbed, so thats what I watch, when you get some bad dubs, its just really hard to watch, but for the most part, dubs are pretty good. Its an acquired taste. If you make the jump from films to series you might have to watch subs. You do get used to it.

But yeah, since Place Promised in Our Early Days is dubbed, and a pretty good one imo, give that a shot, the animation is stunning.

Click for Gallery^^

06.23.2008, 09:56 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Ah, there's nothing wrong with the dubs at all! *glances around to see if anyone may be insulted by this next comment* Honestly, it rather bugs me when people almost put me down because I don't watched the subs instead of dubs with some things... wa...

06.24.2008, 02:23 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Neal
Well, I love Howl's Moving Castle and had watched it 4 or so times in English so I switched to the Japanese audio with English subtitles but I think because I was so used to it being dubbed in English, I couldn't swallow hearing it another language. That's why I always ask about English dubs. I know the purists hate it but it's just how I choose to enjoy these films.

A lot of the time, you'd be better off just watching the subtitled version to begin with. It is your choice of course, but if you get into the habit of watching them with subtitles, you'll get used to it and probably eventually prefer it.

06.24.2008, 02:55 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You'll only benefit from subbed versions if you enjoy sampling it in japanese or if you understand the language anyway. Otherwise, no diff between dubs and subs.

There's Gauche the Cellist, though not sure if it's available at all. Then there's The Boy Who Saw the Wind, and Like the Clouds, Like the Wind.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

06.24.2008, 09:21 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Unregistered User

Registration Date:

06.24.2008, 11:21 AM  
dballred
Ohmu

Registration Date: 04.24.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by dballred Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Neal
Well, I've seen very few animes so thus far all the English dubs have been good (to me, at least). Tekkonkinkreet, Ghost in the Shell and the Ghibli films that are dubbed by Pixar.

I may run into a time when watching subbed is better but so far the dubs have been good.

I will check out those Shinkai films, they sound good.

If you've seen only a few animes so far, then you've got a lot more Ghibli and Miyazaki to go through.

1. See Future Boy Conan (not Detective Conan). This one's hard to get and even harder to get with subtitles--but it's a jewel! Miyazaki directed and animated this 26-episode TV series back in 1978. This is like watching a 13-hour long Miyazaki movie.

2. See the Little Norse Prince. This is an ancient (196 example of Miyazaki before he got his "look." Nonetheless, his attention to detail shows up--and it's a great story. It does have a dated, "hippie" look and feel, though.

3. Watch every animated Ghibli feature film. Every one. This is mandatory homework. There isn't a bad one in the bunch, so there's no excuse skipping over one.

If you haven't seen any Satoshi Kon films, you're missing a lot. Tread carefully, though, because he can get a bit edgy. Ghibli fans should have no difficulty with Tokyo Godfathers or Millennium Actress.

If you haven't seen any Ohtomo films, you might or might not be missing anything. He has done many films with critical acclaim, such as 'Akira,' but I've yet to find any of his that I like.

06.24.2008, 11:39 PM dballred is offline   Profile for dballred Add dballred to your buddy list Send an Email to dballred Homepage of dballred
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Ooh, so many things that I have to watch now, yay!!

06.25.2008, 03:43 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
Unregistered User

Registration Date:

06.25.2008, 01:03 PM  
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

You can watch On Your Mark on Youtube. I know that isn't particularly helpful, but it's something.

06.25.2008, 04:00 PM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks