QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Review of Howl's Moving Castle (www.midnighteye.com)
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern - Anime Ghibli Discussions Review of Howl's Moving Castle (www.midnighteye.com) Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Review of Howl's Moving Castle (www.midnighteye.com)Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

The very full and in-depth review of H'sMC is available at www.midnighteye.com
....but here is the most important excerpt in case you just want to know their conclusion-

"Despite its use of foreign source material, tailored by Miyazaki to suit his own needs, Howl's Moving Castle is neither markedly better nor worse than any of his brilliant previous works. Neither particularly similar nor radically different, it is a film that can, and no doubt will, be savoured again and again, revealing different aspects to different people upon different viewings. How it fares at the box office or whether it is the last film Miyazaki directs is irrelevant, because it is ultimately as timeless and magical as anything else ever released by the studio."

02.05.2005, 03:16 AM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Registration Date: 01.15.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for telling us about the review. Yes it is very in-depth indeed.

Here is another piece of review of Howl, but it is not really positive. Even so it worths to have a look, as the criticisms seem to be quite valid.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19274

02.06.2005, 01:58 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
starhawk
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

That was a well written review. Good honesty.

Considering that Spirited Away did not even really have a solid story- half the film was made up of episodic sequences focusing on the character growth of Chihiro- either that writer's conclusion that H'sMC has a worse story is foreboding and H'sMC will be a huge dissapointment, or the writer just has different tastes than I do and/or that writer might be misguided (imo).

Also- not half as good as The Incredibles? That was a good movie, but not that great- which is another bad omen, heh.

But whatever. In the end, I think it is fairly certain that Howl's is still enjoyable even if not as good as other Miyazaki films.

Post last edited by starhawk on 02.07.2005, 01:05 AM.

02.07.2005, 01:03 AM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Azhur
Tanuki

Registration Date: 02.07.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Azhur Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Comparing The Incredibles to Hauru gives some clue about the criticism's quality; Incredibles is pure action/comedy, while Hauru again surely isn't. I rest my case...

02.07.2005, 02:34 PM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Jiji Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi Azhur! Welcome to the forums!

quote:
Originally posted by Azhur
Comparing The Incredibles to Hauru gives some clue about the criticism's quality; Incredibles is pure action/comedy, while Hauru again surely isn't. I rest my case...

I think the Pixar productions are over the usual level that you can expect from the US animation industry. That is why Lasseter and Miyazaki admire each other so much. The Incredibles may not be as deep as Mononoke Hime, but is certainly much more than a common action/comedy movie.

And even if it is wrong for the writer to use the Incredibles for comparison, it does not justify to reject the whole of the review. Even in a test, it is rare to get a zero for a single mistake that is not a crucial part of the whole answer. The review may have its short-comings, but there are many other things that are quite worthy for us to look into.

02.07.2005, 03:38 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
Azhur
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Azhur Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/lasseter/

Now I understand, thanks for the info Jiji. I wonder if I can get hold of that 'Lasseter-San, Arigato'-film...

02.08.2005, 05:52 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

quote:
Originally posted by Azhur
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/lasseter/

Now I understand, thanks for the info Jiji. I wonder if I can get hold of that 'Lasseter-San, Arigato'-film...

You're welcome.

I have not seen it on sale in any shop. But you may buy it online in cdjapan.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWDZ-8054

02.08.2005, 08:46 AM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
lycans
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 02.09.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by lycans Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i agree with the review, the film i feel cannot surpass the imagination and brillance of his previous film

02.09.2005, 03:14 PM lycans is offline   Profile for lycans Add lycans to your buddy list
HowlsFan
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HowlsFan Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

...This review is really good...

02.12.2005, 08:46 PM HowlsFan is offline   Profile for HowlsFan Add HowlsFan to your buddy list Homepage of HowlsFan AIM Screenname: Armads YIM Screenname: Ninisgrace
Hakumaku
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.19.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Hakumaku Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Im new here....But I got to see Howls yesterday. Now Im a big fan of Ghibli & love the works of Miyazaki.

Howls is a beautiful film and entertaining but also is a complete mess and a major dissapointment to me.

The structure is pretty much like with spirited away...however with spirited away it worked on the basis it could of been Chihiros imagination.
Also you are with her from beginning to end of the film and have enough time to care about the characters.

With howls you are introduced to sophie...then on its a stream of ongoing situations...your given characters & situations that are not given time for explanation....right up to what is the most cop out ending Ive ever seen (even by miyazakis standards!!!)

It does look fantastic tho...
Im a animator and was blown away by the traditional work on show. Visually its Ghiblis best acheivement yet.
Its actually the best trad work I have seen in years!

listening to friends who have read the book...the films completely different to its source.
One example being that Howls starts of a vain womanising coward...then halfway through becomes another Haku......not explained.
This does not happen in the books....miyazaki has added a cliche.

Its okay to make your own interpretation of a book.
After all...Kikis delivery service wasnt accurate to its source yet was a brilliant film with themes and structure.

With howls the focus of the original material is lost and replaced with lots of inventive ideas that are not given time to develop.
Usually in Miyazakis films he leaves a lot for interpretation....but it just doesnt work at all this time round. Micheal lives with howls....not explained why. Hes just there.
Theres a war...why? not explained...yet the third act concentrates on it.

When the films at its best....is when its with sophie and her curse....Its a metaphor.
Also the film is great when its at its most funniest...the scene involving a lot of stairs had me in stitches.

But theres too much thrown in...maybe ghibli ran past deadline and rushed for completion.

All in all...the more I think of the film...the more I feel its his worst.
Miyazaki is just recycling earlier concepts/ideas...which is a shame.
I hope this not a start of a trend as his earlier works were pretty unique from each other
(apart from mononoke...which was basically a nausicaa rehash in my opinion)

I hope he surprises me as he did with Spirited away with his next project....if there is one.

Ultimately frustrating film! XD

Post last edited by Hakumaku on 02.20.2005, 06:52 PM.

02.19.2005, 01:40 PM Hakumaku is offline   Profile for Hakumaku Add Hakumaku to your buddy list
starhawk
Tanuki

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wow, pretty sobering post. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're wrong. =o

And Mononoke a 'rehash'? No way does Mononoke fit the negative connotation of a rehash. An indirect sequel sharing similar themes, but Mononoke is simply too kinetic, too astoundingly beautiful to call a rehash. It has the same basic message, but is definetely its own story. Nausicaa is much more 'sci-fi' than Mononoke is 'fantasy' in my opinion, too.

Post last edited by starhawk on 03.03.2005, 06:40 PM.

03.03.2005, 06:34 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Azhur
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by starhawk
wow, pretty sobering post. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you're wrong. =o

And Mononoke a 'rehash'? No way does Mononoke fit the negative connotation of a rehash. An indirect sequel sharing similar themes, but Mononoke is simply too kinetic, too astoundingly beautiful to call a rehash. It has the same basic message, but is definetely its own story. Nausicaa is much more 'sci-fi' than Mononoke is 'fantasy' in my opinion, too.

I fully agree!

03.04.2005, 09:38 AM Azhur is offline   Profile for Azhur Add Azhur to your buddy list
Hakumaku
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.19.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Hakumaku Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Sure true....Mononoke is a beautiful film...but the basic themes of man & nature are basically the same.
The story structure of mononoke is pretty much a mirror of Nausicaa.....And I find nausicaa to be the better film....entertainment wise.

Im just one of those people who likes directors to offer something new hence my dissapointment from both Mononoke & Howls.

For example Tororo is considerably different film from Porco rosso....maybe Miyazaki has run out of new ideas.

Doesnt mean theyre bad films you understand...just one persons opinion.
When I say his weakest film...still means its better than most of the clag we get...just dissapointing tis all.

And Im not the only one who was...many people walking out the theatre from howls were pretty conflicted....My friends HATED the film....but then they loved the book.
I havent read the book...but am a film lover...as a adaption & as a film its a bit of a pickle.

I dont feel that even a respected and brilliant artist such as miyazaki is perfect....nobody is.

Post last edited by Hakumaku on 04.01.2005, 04:53 PM.

04.01.2005, 04:46 PM Hakumaku is offline   Profile for Hakumaku Add Hakumaku to your buddy list
starhawk
Tanuki

quote:
Originally posted by Hakumaku
Sure true....Mononoke is a beautiful film...but the basic themes of man & nature are basically the same.
The story structure of mononoke is pretty much a mirror of Nausicaa.....And I find nausicaa to be the better film....entertainment wise.

I actually agree with you on all of that (though the animation is far more vivid in Mononoke). I think 'rehash' is such a negative term though- it doesn't fit in my view of Mononoke. It is similar, perhaps even a mirror, but not a lesser or entirely derivative film.

quote:

Im just one of those people who likes directors to offer something new hence my dissapointment from both Mononoke & Howls.

That's understandable, and a good criticism. After exploring Miyazaki's other films, I'm beginning to notice the strong similarities between certain projects of his.

quote:

For example Tororo is considerably different film from Porco rosso....maybe Miyazaki has run out of new ideas.

Spirited Away was a fairly recent film, and I think it is one of his most unique works. I don't think he ran out of ideas. Remember that he didn't originaly direct Howl's Moving Castle- it is possible he could only do so much with what he was given. Also, Miyazaki has stated in various interviews that he wants the studio to do more original works, because he thinks the stories and the art turns out best that way (generally).

quote:

Doesnt mean theyre bad films you understand...just one persons opinion.
When I say his weakest film...still means its better than most of the clag we get...just dissapointing tis all.

Totally agreed. I think Porco Rosso is Miyazaki's least impressive film, yet I'd say it is leagues better than most animated (and non-animated) schlock out there, and on its own a worthwhile film.

quote:

And Im not the only one who was...many people walking out the theatre from howls were pretty conflicted....My friends HATED the film....but then they loved the book.
I havent read the book...but am a film lover...as a adaption & as a film its a bit of a pickle.

I loved the book- I recommend it, if you can find it. Book to film adaptations rarely end up as good as the book the film was based on; that simply may have been the case for this film. But from the reviews I have read (written in English, obviously), they have all been positive, some more than others, but all still recommending the movie.

quote:

I dont feel that even a respected and brilliant artist such as miyazaki is perfect....nobody is.

Agreed. It's good to stay sober about this kind of thing. It'd be wrong to love a Miyazaki film because it's a Miyazaki film- if they earn praise and popularity, it should be because they are good films. (which, in my opinion, they are )

04.02.2005, 04:54 AM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Dave_Maz
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.06.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Dave_Maz Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

wow!

A lot to swallow on this thread!

I truly hope I'm not dissapointed by Howl's. I'm really REALLY looking forward to it's US release.

I'd also really like to see another fantasy film from him, kind of like mononoke but very unique from it at the same time.

04.11.2005, 08:47 PM Dave_Maz is offline   Profile for Dave_Maz Add Dave_Maz to your buddy list Homepage of Dave_Maz AIM Screenname: TheDavesterDM
zenofex
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.13.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by zenofex Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

To me Howl was very, very entertaining piece of work, although it wasn't the best one I saw from Miyazaki and Ghibli.

I don't agree the statement that everything needs to be explained in a movie. Unexplained things leaves path for viewers imagination and allows the main aims and ideas for the film to develop. Why do anyone need to know who Michael is, the more interesting is the fact, that (and how) he changes.

I also really liked the way Sophie overcomed the curse, that for me was one of the best aspects in film. Also, how she helped Howl to break away from self-amazement, and made him to look around and see once again the beauty of the world.

A little disappointment for me was the music score - Joe Hisaishi is very good composer, but I like Spirited Away's music a lot better that Howl's.

All in all - entertaining, magic, dynamic, and a little educative.

04.13.2005, 04:28 PM zenofex is offline   Profile for zenofex Add zenofex to your buddy list Homepage of zenofex
starhawk
Tanuki

I just watched the American trailer for Howl's, and I'm excited all over again. I really can't wait for this. It probably won't screen in my podunk town, but I think I'm willing to drive a bit to see this one.

Post last edited by starhawk on 04.23.2005, 06:21 PM.

04.23.2005, 06:20 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
quiet
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 04.24.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by quiet Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by starhawk
I just watched the American trailer for Howl's, and I'm excited all over again. I really can't wait for this.

Same I cannot count the months that I've been waiting for this one...

I think I may have the same problem as you, starhawk. I live in Canada, in a smallish town, one which probably won't have Howl playing in theatres. However, I can hold out hope that the tiny, tiny, artsy theatre here will get it, but, as I think Disney is only giving it a limited release, I will probably have to drive as well. . .

04.26.2005, 05:03 PM quiet is offline   Profile for quiet Add quiet to your buddy list
rinrin
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 06.17.05
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by rinrin Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I don't know why people are saying that "Howl's Moving Castle" is such a bad film. I saw it yesterday, and I didn't think so at all. The story and characters weren't as good as in some of Miyazaki's other movies, but then again, it is pretty difficult to get any better than "Spirited Away". Some of it seemed similar to Spirited Away, but I wouldn't go so far as to call anything cliche. There are just themes that happen to appear in more than one of Miyazaki's movies. Most of Howl's Moving Castle seemed pretty original to me.

Everyone seems very unsatisfied with this movie compared to other Ghibli movies. I think that it's a great movie on its own, it just so happens that some of the other Ghibli movies are better. And as for things not being fully explained in the movie, maybe Miyazaki intended for the audience to use their imagination a little bit (though I would have liked to know more about Howl's curse).

06.19.2005, 05:57 PM rinrin is offline   Profile for rinrin Add rinrin to your buddy list
Jiji
Oldie newbie

I also agree that Howl is a very good movie on its own. Frankly the majority of the those who are unhappy with Howl are some devoted fans of Miyazaki. To people who only know about Miyazaki because of his Oscar award, they are not really that critical to the film and many have given some really good comments on it.

To fans like us, after being amazed by all his previous works, it is natural for us to hold an exceptionally higher expectation. And it is a fact of life that one hurts more when one falls from a higher altitude.

You can see a variety of reviews in these two sites. Notwithstanding some very critical reviews, the general impression of the majority is quite positive.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/howlsmovingcastle
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/howls_moving_castle/

06.19.2005, 07:28 PM Jiji is offline   Profile for Jiji Add Jiji to your buddy list Send an Email to Jiji Homepage of Jiji
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks