QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Advice/Suggestions for Anime Beginners
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Advice/Suggestions for Anime Beginners » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Post [  1  2    »  ]
HataZaki
Ohmu

Registration Date: 12.10.08
  Advice/Suggestions for Anime BeginnersPost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hi everyone

I am new to Studio Ghibli, but also new to anime in general. I have already made it through 14 of the 17 Ghibli films, but I am also keen to get into other anime, but I don't know were to start. Many people have recommended Akira, and The Girl Who Leaps Through Time looks great, but thats really all I am aware of.

I see many anime movies and TV shows in the DVD shop, but I never know what to get. I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions for an anime beginner.

Thanks

12.20.2008, 06:20 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
MiyaTaka
Tanuki

Registration Date: 12.19.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by MiyaTaka Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i have heard that "akira" is good too. apparently some think it was the start of great anime. i havnt seen it though, but i plan too! i will tell you if it is as good as people say it is once i've watched it.

i have heard "ghost in the shell" is good too if your into futuristic movies.

but im like you in that so far ive only really watched studio ghibili! i plan to start exploring other animes too though!

12.20.2008, 06:38 AM MiyaTaka is offline   Profile for MiyaTaka Add MiyaTaka to your buddy list
arren18
Administrator

Registration Date: 08.15.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Shinka would be a good place to begin... he has made Voices of a Distant Star, which is quite short, and also The Place Promised In Our Early Days and 5cm per Second. I've seen the first two, and they are brilliant. Shinkai's works tend to go down well with Ghibli fans.

12.20.2008, 07:54 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

If you liked Grave of the Fireflies, I'd suggest JinRoh, and Perfect Blue for good measure.

If you liked Only Yesterday, I'd suggest Millennium Actress.

If complicated sci-fi is your thing, Ghost in the Shell (and it's sequel, Innocence) is up your alley, as is Akira.

If you prefer comedy like Pom Poko, there's Tokyo Godfathers and The Girl who Leapt through Time.

If you liked epic stories like Laputa and Mononoke Hime, there's The Boy who saw the Wind, and Like the Clouds Like the Wind.

Note that all these are anime movies, so if you want reference for series, you'll have to say so.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

12.20.2008, 08:50 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Registration Date: 08.16.06
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I second what Roarkiller said and to his last category of epic series like Mononoke or Laputa, I would add Origin: Spirits of the Past.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

12.20.2008, 08:56 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
arren18
Administrator

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by arren18 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Also, I'll add Paprika. If you like something bizarre and imaginative, you should like it, as long as you don't mind being confused.

12.20.2008, 09:01 AM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I second Millenium Actress, for pretty much anyone. There's a good chance you won't like it, but it's an experience either way.

12.20.2008, 10:11 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Theowne
Baron

Registration Date: 02.11.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Theowne Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yes, it really does depend on what kind of genre you're seeking. Ghibli films are rather diverse when you think about it.

One series that is not quite as good as a Ghibli, but shares a somewhat similar atmosphere and feel, is Now and Then, Here and There. It is an adventure story with it's share of serious moments.

That is a series, by the way.

12.20.2008, 12:07 PM Theowne is offline   Profile for Theowne Add Theowne to your buddy list Send an Email to Theowne
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

"Mushishi" has a sort of a Ghibli-ish feel to it. It's a series though, not a movie . . . but it's still very, very good.

12.20.2008, 02:25 PM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
={HSA}= MORO
Baron

Registration Date: 08.15.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by ={HSA}= MORO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hata, im pretty much in the same boat as you, although ive been a fan of Ghibli for almost a decade, i never stepped out into other anime (and still haven't ) although i saw Ghost in the Shell: Innocence listed on this site under Studio Ghibli Co-Productions on the films page, so i decided to check it out, i liked it it was kinda weird and to be honest i don't know if it was a good starter anime :s but hay, thats just my opinion. if you like creative, futuristic, and artsy style films you might enjoy it

12.20.2008, 02:43 PM ={HSA}= MORO is offline   Profile for ={HSA}= MORO Add ={HSA}= MORO to your buddy list Send an Email to ={HSA}= MORO
HataZaki
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Thanks for the replies everyone! I know it has been a long time, but I still haven't made much progress in becoming an avid Anime fan.

I have now seen the following:
Akira - I thought it was amazing. I loved the setting, the characters, the adventure, the bittersweet ending. Truly a classic.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - I loved it too. Again, another great adventure. Very fun, and manages to be light-hearted and serious at the same time.

Voices of a Distant Star - It was OK. I did like it, but it didn't do too much for me. I didn't like the animation style, and love stories aren't really my thing. And it was so depressing!

I am going to continue to work through your suggestions and keep you updated!

I was searching through Anime sites, really not knowing where to begin or where to look. So I basically picked a couple I liked the look of, read the general story and a quick review, But if anyone has seen any of these I would appreciate opinions or advice, and generally the atmosphere of them and what they are about.

- Paprika (I know it was already mentioned...)
- Metropolis
- Now and Then, Here and There
- Love Hima
- Last Exile

Thanks a lot!

05.03.2009, 09:51 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
HataZaki
Ohmu

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by HataZaki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Here are Everyone suggestions:
(I will be updating with every new one I see)

Movies:
Voices of a Distant Star (SEEN - 4/10)
The Place Promised in our Early Days
5cm Per Second
JinRoh
Perfect Blue
Millennium Actress (SEEN - 7/10)
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Akira (SEEN - 10/10)
Tokyo Godfathers
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (SEEN - 8/10)
The Boy Who Saw the Wind
Like the Clouds Like the Wind
Origin: Spirits of the Past
Paprika (SEEN - 7/10)
Metropolis (SEEN - 6/10)

TV Series:
Now and Then, Here and There (SEEN - 10/10)
Mushishi
Love Hina
Last Exile
Spice and Wolf
Azumanga Daioh
Cowboy Bebop

Post last edited by HataZaki on 05.14.2009, 08:10 AM.

05.03.2009, 10:25 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
arren18
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by HataZaki
- Paprika (I know it was already mentioned...)
- Metropolis

Paprika is... action/drama, I suppose. It's all very bright and trippy. I'm not sure quite how to explain it... there's a lot to do with dreams. Definitely give it a try anyway.

Metropolis is also worth a shot. It's kinda steampunk-ish in atmosphere, with good characters and plot.

I'm not sure about the others though...

05.03.2009, 01:36 PM arren18 is offline   Profile for arren18 Add arren18 to your buddy list Homepage of arren18
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't try Metropolis if I were you, unless you like Astroboy. Even the storytelling is like Astroboy's, which IMO isn't the best of pacing.

@Hata: I'll have to remind you that my recommendations were based on different genre preferences. So if you don't like depressing movies, I highly do NOT suggest watching JinRoh. It's a war romance tragedy, not for weepies.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

05.04.2009, 10:51 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
DreamSequencer
Warawara

Registration Date: 04.22.09
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by DreamSequencer Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I can give a suggestion of what NOT to watch when you're not a big anime fan.
Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Strangest. Plot. Ever.

05.05.2009, 03:37 AM DreamSequencer is offline   Profile for DreamSequencer Add DreamSequencer to your buddy list Homepage of DreamSequencer
Yay! Kiki
Baron

Registration Date: 04.06.08
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Yay! Kiki Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Hahaha, I loved that movie when I was a kid... xD Don't ask why. I just did. Must have been the fencing or somethin'.

As for anime movies, I can't really suggest anything... I watch more anime series than anything. xD

05.05.2009, 03:40 AM Yay! Kiki is offline   Profile for Yay! Kiki Add Yay! Kiki to your buddy list
HataZaki
Ohmu

@arren: Thanks They both look good, I appreciate the advice.

@Roarkiller: I am open to anything really. I don't really have any genre preferences, so I will look into JinRoh.

@Kiki: I am looking into series too

I have just rented Now and Then, Here and There, Millennium Actress and Metropolis. I am exited to watch them all, and I'll post what I think and update my movie list when I'm done.

05.05.2009, 07:00 AM HataZaki is offline   Profile for HataZaki Add HataZaki to your buddy list Send an Email to HataZaki Homepage of HataZaki AIM Screenname: - YIM Screenname: -
Orphic Okapi
Baron

Registration Date: 04.08.07
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Orphic Okapi Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

This doesn't really add much to the discussion, but I'd just like to say that I hated Akira, and if it was my introduction to anime I probably would not be on this forum. I cannot grasp why it is considered a classic. It felt like a long chain of explosions with some recurring characters running around inbetween. Or, at least, that's about how invested I was in the plot.

05.05.2009, 09:41 AM Orphic Okapi is offline   Profile for Orphic Okapi Add Orphic Okapi to your buddy list
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Miyrru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Orphic Okapi
This doesn't really add much to the discussion, but I'd just like to say that I hated Akira, and if it was my introduction to anime I probably would not be on this forum. I cannot grasp why it is considered a classic. It felt like a long chain of explosions with some recurring characters running around inbetween. Or, at least, that's about how invested I was in the plot.

Cool... kinda nice to see someone not like Akira. I like the movie but could only watch it twice a year maximum. The story is a little nonsensical, but I think it more has to deal with the fact that it was done in the late 80s and is visually stunning. It also has a more serious adult oriented plot, so I would say that it gets high marks for blazing trails as opposed to being a refined example of anime.

Click for Gallery^^
The truth had to be seen. Anything else was a story, entertaining but more embroidered fib then crude, shapeless fact. ~Dave Eggers

05.05.2009, 10:27 AM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
Miyrru
Graphic Designer

Sorry for the double post, but I felt that this was necessary to post in a requests section. Currently on the Anime News Network site, they are streaming for a short time the dubbed Mushishi series. I watched the first ep to hear some voices, and it wasnt too bad, I still liked the original better, but you really cant miss this series. One of the best ever imo.

Click for Gallery^^

05.05.2009, 04:28 PM Miyrru is offline   Profile for Miyrru Add Miyrru to your buddy list Send an Email to Miyrru
[  1  2    »  ]   « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks