QuickLink:
Ghibli Tavern - Metropolise
Home Register Frequently Asked Questions Search Members List Moderators and Administrators
Ghibli Tavern » - Anime » Anime in General » Metropolise » Hello Guest [register|login]
« Previous Thread | Next Thread » Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Author
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 09.23.02
  MetropolisePost Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by bonbon Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

any body seen this. it great. a little choppy on the dioloug animation but its nothing noticable. orighinal story by Osuma Tezuka, GOD Father of Manga!!!!

he's dead now

09.23.2002, 08:33 PM bonbon is offline   Profile for bonbon Add bonbon to your buddy list Send an Email to bonbon
Unregistered User

Registration Date:
YAH METROPOLIS!!!!Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

METROPOLIS ROCKS!!!! I own it on DVD. ^_^ It really is too bad he passed away... >>;;;

~ TM <3

09.28.2002, 01:18 PM  
UO
(/`A')/

Registration Date: 03.03.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by UO Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

i own it on DVDRip

good movie, liked the graphics and that 60s feeling

10.01.2002, 12:08 AM UO is offline   Profile for UO Add UO to your buddy list Send an Email to UO Homepage of UO
Mocca
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.26.02
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Mocca Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Yeah, there's a wonderful sense of old Mickey Mouse meets, I don't know, Final Fantasy or something about it. Looks brilliant once you get used to the clashing of styles.

10.26.2002, 07:47 AM Mocca is offline   Profile for Mocca Add Mocca to your buddy list Send an Email to Mocca
TrippleBeem
Kodama

Registration Date: 02.12.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TrippleBeem Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Own the DVD, AND saw it in the theator (Twice)

>>>>>>OTAKU<<<<<<<

03.03.2003, 06:48 PM TrippleBeem is offline   Profile for TrippleBeem Add TrippleBeem to your buddy list AIM Screenname: ryankohl YIM Screenname: ryankohl
PHILIPNORTON42
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 10.13.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by PHILIPNORTON42 Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I've got it as well.

I's an OK film - not the best there is, can get a little boring in places. I'd give it a 6 or 7/10 on IMDB, depending on my mood

10.13.2004, 08:47 AM PHILIPNORTON42 is offline   Profile for PHILIPNORTON42 Add PHILIPNORTON42 to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Havent watched it, and i dont intend to buy the DVD unless i know what its like. Osamu's style of animation isnt exactly my style (think astro boy), but if the storyline's good, why not?

IMO id juz rent it or borrow from someone before i decide if its worth buying.

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

10.17.2004, 06:48 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

RK- if you like good stories...Metropolis isn't the best. I love the main characters- Tima is very intriguing and angelic, but purposefully so (if you see it, it should be clear why). But the story, at least on the first viewing, is pretty convoluted. It just has too many sub-characters. It would have helped if the plot-writers had practiced some minimalism- you don't need twenty characters to drive a story, singular poeple are complex in themselves enough to accomplish believable plot twists- but unfortunately, the film is just too character heavy.

But I'd still recommend watching it. Rent it if you can, or borrow from a friend. If you are looking for good stories, you might be dissapointed. Try to watch it for its artistic and metaphorical value, in which it does have droves. I really liked the film- I own it- but for your tastes, you may want to be a little cautious about it.

Post last edited by starhawk on 11.21.2004, 09:07 PM.

11.21.2004, 09:07 PM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
Roarkiller
Your Daddy-O

Registration Date: 06.03.03
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Roarkiller Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by starhawk
RK- if you like good stories...Metropolis isn't the best. I love the main characters- Tima is very intriguing and angelic, but purposefully so (if you see it, it should be clear why). But the story, at least on the first viewing, is pretty convoluted. It just has too many sub-characters. It would have helped if the plot-writers had practiced some minimalism- you don't need twenty characters to drive a story, singular poeple are complex in themselves enough to accomplish believable plot twists- but unfortunately, the film is just too character heavy.

But I'd still recommend watching it. Rent it if you can, or borrow from a friend. If you are looking for good stories, you might be dissapointed. Try to watch it for its artistic and metaphorical value, in which it does have droves. I really liked the film- I own it- but for your tastes, you may want to be a little cautious about it.

That would be the same as watching Terminator 3, only for the action.

The reason why i love ghibli is the presence of strong storyline, plot and great play of emotions. Animation and artwork only comes in 2nd, because seriously, theres no point in me sitting through 2hrs of great art accompanied by rubbish storytelling.

But i'll watch it some time. Meh, otalu needs to watch more anime to be more otaku :lol:

No one else is me.

Roarkiller.net
Isakaya High RPG Site

quote:
Originally posted by fenkashi
Screw your opinions, they are not relevant ^^.

11.22.2004, 11:29 AM Roarkiller is offline   Profile for Roarkiller Add Roarkiller to your buddy list Homepage of Roarkiller
starhawk
Tanuki

Registration Date: 04.20.04
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by starhawk Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Metropolis is much more worthwhile than Terminator 3. =]

Not to necessarily dis the Terminator, though. His films are fun, if kinda silly...

Post last edited by starhawk on 11.23.2004, 01:16 AM.

11.23.2004, 01:16 AM starhawk is offline   Profile for starhawk Add starhawk to your buddy list
OYM Angel
Tanuki

Registration Date: 05.12.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by OYM Angel Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I like Metropolis. My friend thinks that the ending to Metropolis is sadder than 'Grave of the Fireflies'. Personally, I like the ending. I just wish they kept that photo from the ending. It shows a possible reunion between Tima and Ken'ichi.

07.28.2005, 07:46 PM OYM Angel is offline   Profile for OYM Angel Add OYM Angel to your buddy list
Goddess Nayru
Tanuki

Registration Date: 09.18.05
  Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by Goddess Nayru Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

Grave of the Fireflies is sadder than Metropolis. But still, I was almost at tears near the end of Metropolis.

Evil Enough For You?

09.18.2005, 09:52 PM Goddess Nayru is offline   Profile for Goddess Nayru Add Goddess Nayru to your buddy list
TheBrokenMany
Susuwatari

Registration Date: 11.03.05
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Search for Posts by TheBrokenMany Report Post to a Moderator        IP Address Go to the top of this page

I just saw the first volume of the graphic novel and I think I shall buy it, moreover I am working in a dumb bookstore.

11.03.2005, 10:48 PM TheBrokenMany is offline   Profile for TheBrokenMany Add TheBrokenMany to your buddy list Homepage of TheBrokenMany
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to:

Online Ghibli
Ghibli Tavern is powered by WoltLab, hosted by Teragon Networks